Would a proper 7 season run of Enterprise have saved it?

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Hi. I'm watching Enterprise on Netflix and the first few seasons seem pretty terrible, but season 3-4 seem to improve a fair bit (for the most part).

If this wasn't cancelled you do you think it would have redeemed itself?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

It was an interesting idea, but it wasn't done right. Or rather, it did worse than any other Star Trek show that had things wrong with it, so it had little hope for recovery.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
You know as much as I love to riff on enterprise due to the fact its first two seasons where complete trash and season 3 was just okay, given the ideas that had been proposed for season 5 and how the series had finally come to its own in season 4 then yes, I think a 7 season run would have us remember it as another Trek with a slow start that eventually found its footing.

Unfortunately the show just couldn't cut it, and in an environment where better shows got axed over less the show was worst then the 3 before it has seemingly learned nothing from them. I will never be happy about the fact that we didn't get the 3 seasons of the Earth/Romulan war the writers had planned, and that the plans for a crossover with the first returned Doctor never amounted to anything (wouldn't that have been mind blowing) in its attempts to introduce/advertise the new show to American audiences. But that's all in the past and we can never do more then ask "what if" with this series, as we do with so many others.

Enterprise should have been season 4 quality right from the start. It would have gotten a good 5 season run had that been the case (beyond that is doubtful since the network itself was cancelled a year later, and given how SciFi already had SG1, Atlantis and BSG eating its original content budget even a successful Enterprise wouldn't have network hopped)

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
The only thing that could have redeemed Enterprise is if Captain Archer was able to make his final leap home.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
madwarper said:
The only thing that could have redeemed Enterprise is if Captain Archer was able to make his final leap home.

You know that was probably the biggest dick ending in television history.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I can't really say for sure, as I've never actually watched it. Didn't it essentially break the lore, though? It'd be kind of hard to crawl out of that hole, especially with the more rabid trekkies who obsesses over starship blueprints and the like.

That said, I found the first season of TNG to be godawful and the second spotty at best, yet seasons 3-7 were so damn good that it redeemed the series as my second favorite Trek (trailing only slightly after DS9). So anything's possible, I suppose.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I think the 4th season improved a lot when it started tackling the world building part (Vulcans, Klingons, starting the Federation), so there was a little hope for them.

Then the last episode happened and it could go ∞ warp factor and scatter its molecules all across the universe for all I care.

Yes I know the books exists, no it doesn't help.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I think it got worse as time went on, personally.

I think it was fun, a bit quirky, and a bit campy to begin with. And honestly, that perfectly fine given ... well, just look at TOS. Guys in poly-spandex body suits slap fighting and rending their clothes because apparently the far future fabrics for serving crew members places "style" over protection and utility despite being in a dangerous profession.

Though I suppose reinforced articles of clothing does the Klingons fuck all, so maybe it makes perfect sense?

Anyways, I don't think 7 seasons would have saved the show ... because it got more crap as time went on.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Neverhoodian said:
That said, I found the first season of TNG to be godawful and the second spotty at best, yet seasons 3-7 were so damn good that it redeemed the series as my second favorite Trek (trailing only slightly after DS9). So anything's possible, I suppose.
I agree. The first two seasons of TNG are near enough as bad. The final season of TNG (barring a fairly amazing final) is not great either.

IMO Enterprise starts off terrible, the worst of the shows. But 3-4 it picks up, slightly better than Voyager, but no TNG/DS9.

Zontar said:
and that the plans for a crossover with the first returned Doctor never amounted to anything (wouldn't that have been mind blowing)
Confused by this, you mean the Doctor from Voyager?

BTW, just watched Mirror Darkly, the episode itself is just, alright. But that opening sequence and alternated credit sequence is amazing.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
im apparently the only person in the entire universe who enjoyed enterprise is seems. i used to love seeing the early days of star fleet, where the first ship was out gunned and matched constantly but seeing them adapt, knowing they were on their own and that there wasnt a friendly star base 2 minutes away

plus i loved the jumpsuits, an interesting touch and the first practical uniform star fleet ever had.. look mum pockets!!

and porthos was adorable

good stuff :)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well it would had been interesting to see that Earth Romulan war that they were building up to be but given to their budget, the battle would had been short like they always been.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
pookie101 said:
im apparently the only person in the entire universe who enjoyed enterprise is seems. i used to love seeing the early days of star fleet, where the first ship was out gunned and matched constantly but seeing them adapt, knowing they were on their own and that there wasnt a friendly star base 2 minutes away

plus i loved the jumpsuits, an interesting touch and the first practical uniform star fleet ever had.. look mum pockets!!

and porthos was adorable

good stuff :)
Hrm, I like the first two seasons ... isn't that the consensus, though? Started promising and then became crap?

Also, yeah. The first uniforms that actually look like uniforms. I suppose they were loosely modelled on current NASA jump suits in pressurized environs? Struck me as weirdly classist. Unlike in TNG yu rarely have that concept of the Captain largely removed from direct fraternisation in dining and living. Also, I would imagine Captain Archer is like the douchiest apartment neighbour.

You're trying to sleep, *bang* *bang* *bang* of a ball slammed against your wall.

But I suppose that was half the point, wasn't it? Humans still hadn't entirely gotten over 'I' instead of 'we', and the rhetoric and various actions and privileges of people on board reflected that in a handful of ways. Though, you know ... The whole idea of Porthos chewing up resources ... getting a bed in sick bay ...

At least dogs on ships in history served a point. Like as ratters to help ward off vermin chewing into food reserves or carrying disease from port to port.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
There was a surprising amount of potential going for Enterprise, but I think they hamstrung the whole thing with that entire "temporal cold war" plot. Not that it's a bad concept persay, but it didn't really work to the franchise's strengths.

The episodes I actually did find myself enjoying the most were those involving the Andorians. Obviously a lot of that had to do with Jeffrey Combs playing a recurring Andorian commander, but it also brought back the kind of enjoyment I get watching the interaction between the main characters and a characters from a fleshed out and well-established alien species (with solid characters representing them).

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I binged all of Star Trek and its movies on Hulu, and I couldn't get past Enterprise except for a few episodes. Something about it was just a chore to watch, and I don't want to watch it again.

I can't remember anything specific that made it junk, I just knew it was on an instinctual level.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
No one seems to have remarked on Enterprise's completely brazen recycling of scripts from DS9 and Voyager. Downright lazy, it was.

Who can say what might have happened? That last season held some promise, but not that much promise.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
The last season improved because they replaced Brandon Braga and Rick Berman with Manny Coto as the showrunner. Coto was an actual fan of Star Trek and frequent writer who was brilliant at writing his way out of some canonical boxes (such as why some Klingons have brow ridges and others don't).

Berman and Braga were, in my opinion, the J.J. Abrams of their day; great producers who were great at at coming up with ways to attract to people outside the fan (like stuffing hot chicks into catsuits...not that there's anything wrong with that. But it only gets you so far). But as storytellers, they were pretty average.

The show was doomed to fail.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Everywhere Star Trek is discussed, people shit on Voyager. Dare I even say that it was my favorite? (Except for Kes, I found her story lines to be unbearable.)

I thought Enterprise was fine. It ended when I was starting to get into it, so I have no strong opinions either way. But more is always better, just as new is always better. Or so they say.