Would the Death Star affect a planet's tides?

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
If the death star was coming into orbit around a planet, I think the least of its worries would be what time high tide would be

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Lucane said:
Yopaz said:
I am not a physicist nor a big Star Wars fan so I might not be right here.
I don't think it would have a lot to say for the tides. The Deah Star is big, but not as big as our moon, it's also hollow meaning that it doesn't have that much mass compared to the moon either. My guess is that if it does have any impact it will be minimal unless there's some space magic giving it a stronger gravity field.
Whelp that's everything and more that I'd of said but as far as space magic goes I was thinking what ever is generating the Death Star's Artificial Gravity though I don't see how a system like that could influence something so far out that it could effect a nearby planet.

Also Spacecraft never seem to have issues with gravity compensation when they near or depart from the Death Star.(Tractor Beams not included.)
Yeah, even if a ship does have artificial gravity the pull of it shouldn't affect much, I have seen the formula to calculate how far it should be effective. However as you stated ships doesn't seem to be affected by the relatively small gravity field that has to be there meaning it doesn't really do much even close by. It would probably have helped a lot if it actually did have a stronger gravity field since it would make it all but impossible to fly near it without getting pulled in and that would make the hatches (which shouldn't be there) impossible safer.

Well, it seems like we've got a conclusive answer here.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Yes, but who the hell cares when you have the most firepower in the universe at your disposal?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I don't know. But I doubt they'd need to care about the tides or water in general and start kissing the emperors ass pretty freakin' quick.

RufusMcLaser

Mar 27, 2008
To summarize all the good posts so far, it depends on the actual mass of the Death Star (I don't have that figure) and its distance from the body of water (we'll assume the notional planet has H20-based oceans rather than, for instance, molten lead) in question.
And yes, do submit this as a What If to Randall at xkcd.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Well the Death Star is so massive that it has its own natural gravity so I think it would cause some tidal fluctuation.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Lord Garnaat said:
Alright all you science-inclined Escapists, I have a question that I've been rattling around in my mind for a while.

In the Star Wars movies the Death Star is supposed to be big. Really, really big. Big enough that it could be mistaken for a moon when it's near a planet. But when I thought about this, a rather interesting question sprang to mind: if the Death Star is large enough to be mistaken for a moon, would it affect the tides of a planet when it came close to it? I realize that tides are normally caused by the moon, so would the addition of a moon-sized object so close to a planet cause the normal patterns to get screwed up? Or would it be either too small or too far away to make a difference?
The Death Star, some 160 Kilometers in diameter, is still mostly empty space. While it is HUGE, the effects on the tides of say, Endor, would actually be minimal. That is because, while there is fucktons of Duralloy armor and stuff, in the end, it is mostly empty space at the core for the reactor, incredibly large hangar sections, living spaces for the million + crew members, and consumables storage. If a planet had NO MOON, yes, it would gain a tidal surge from the Death Star, but really, why would you orbit a planet anyway? Zip in, blow it up, zip back out. (Zip is used ironically).

Edit: Got my stats wrong, it was 160, not 140, and Diameter, not Circumference.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I don't think it comes close enough before firing to affect tides.
Mars is pretty big, and it doesn't affect tides.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Daverson said:
If it were the right kind of orbit around a planet, then yes. I don't think they ever specify exactly in the movies where the death star(s) were, exactly, though. I think they were in orbit of stars, rather than planets, though.

We never see the Death star go into hyperspace though, and the rebels seem close enough to launch an attack with what can be assumed to be short-range craft... the implication here is presumably that the Empire built their superweapon right next to the rebel base they spent the entire film looking for, and just didn't notice.
Yes, in the Alderaan system, right next to the Red Giant star we never see until the final scene. They MENTION traveling through hyperspace IN THE MOVIE.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Daverson said:
If it were the right kind of orbit around a planet, then yes. I don't think they ever specify exactly in the movies where the death star(s) were, exactly, though. I think they were in orbit of stars, rather than planets, though.

We never see the Death star go into hyperspace though, and the rebels seem close enough to launch an attack with what can be assumed to be short-range craft... the implication here is presumably that the Empire built their superweapon right next to the rebel base they spent the entire film looking for, and just didn't notice.
All of the Rebel "wings" are hyperspace capable and are long-range fighters/bombers/interceptors. The death star is also seen in the Alderaan system before the rebels sensors pick it up entering the Yavin system.

Spade Lead said:
It did have a strong enough gravitational pull to draw the Executor into it.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Fasckira said:
You should check this out: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

Very good read about the aftermath of the second death start destruction and its affects on Endor!
A-chem

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endor_Holocaust

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Spade Lead said:
It did have a strong enough gravitational pull to draw the Executor into it.
Actually, no. The Executor spun out of control and DOVE into the SECOND Death Star, which was over twice the size of the first Death Star. The Executor was in no position to "Fall" into the Death Star, as it was actually cruising no where near the Death Star while engaging the rebels. The whole point of the Imperial fleet was to draw the rebels AWAY from the Death Star to lure them into it's engagement envelope. The Death Star has a range of 3 Million Kilometers. If the ships are 20 feet away, it won't be able to target them. It needed the space to crush the rebel capital ships. Executor went what we on the navigation team call NUC, Not Under Command. Usually, vessels NUC end up running aground, whether their engines are unable to be stopped, pushing them onto shoal waters, the helm is not responsive, causing them to travel in generally whatever direction the motors and rudder are steering when you lose command, or the engines die and the water pushes them aground. That is all that happened. She lost helm control and "Ran Aground" on the Death Star.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Not trying to be mean or anything but it seems like the threads are starting to get lazy. If only we had more gender and drowning threads...
Just awhile ago we were drowning in gender threads.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
The Death Star is apparently about 160 km in diameter. This is compared to the Earth's moon's diameter of 1,700 km. So, the moon has over 100 times the volume of the Death Star, and is likely considerably denser (it seems like most of the Death Star's interior is made up of corridors, so a sizeable proportion of its volume would be gaseous.) So let's say that the moon is 150 times as massive as the Death Star. Using this (conservative) estimate, the Death Star would have to be 5 times as close to the earth as the Moon to have a similar effect on the Earth's tides, or about 70,000 km from the surface.

Of course, when we look at the Alderaan scene from Episode IV, we see that, from the Death Star, Alderaan seems to be only marginally larger than the Earth in the famous "earthrise" photo. This means that the biggest view of Alderaan from the Death Star could only have been about twice as big as the Earth from "earthrise", which was shot on the moon (assuming that the image of Aleraan being destroyed was what a person would see if they were seated right in front of the Death Star.) Since we know Alderaan is of similar size to Earth, we can calculate that the Death Star would have been about 170,000 km away from Alderaan, 2.5 times as far as it would need to be to have the same tidal effects on the Earth as the Moon, well outside of the realm of error in estimation.
At this distance, the Death Star would have about 1/15 of the gravitational effect on Earth as the Moon would, and tidal effects would be greatly diminished.

We can assume that if the Death Star's laser worked at this distance of 170,000 km away, it would be unnecessary for it to ever be any closer to a planet, as doing so would put it at greater danger of being damaged by enemy defences. Based on these assumptions, we can find that the Death Star would have a greatly diminished effect on the Earth's tides. Seeing that the inhabited moons of the Star Wars universe appear to have the same surface gravity as Earth, we can assume that the same is true of all moons which the Death Star would be orbiting; at the best, it could have about a magnitude difference in tidal effects as compared to the Earth-Moon system.

EDIT: I see that the discussion has shifted towards the Second Death Star. My argument is invalid.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Blue_vision said:
EDIT: I see that the discussion has shifted towards the Second Death Star. My argument is invalid.
Yeah, that kind of took me by surprise, too. Like, a LOT.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
The original Death Star? Its technical specs list it as 1.9x10^13 kg. That's about a thousandth the mass of Phobos - really the most pathetic moon (its escape velocity is only about 28mph). The DS2 is about 10 times greater in diameter, so it could affect a small moon, such as Endor's, but it wasn't even finished, and the moon is largely lacking in surface water, anyway.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
It it passed by a suitable planet then possibly. Although it is fairly hollow with all the corridors so I don't know if that would affect anything.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Samantha Burt said:
The original Death Star? Its technical specs list it as 1.9x10^13 kg. That's about a thousandth the mass of Phobos - really the most pathetic moon (its escape velocity is only about 28mph). The DS2 is about 10 times greater in diameter, so it could affect a small moon, such as Endor's, but it wasn't even finished, and the moon is largely lacking in surface water, anyway.
But Phobos is an ACTUAL moon, and thus High Density. The Death Star 2 would have been, at completion, still a very low density object, according to your calculations, only 1/100th the mass of Phobos. Not counting the implied probability of STAR DESTROYER Docking bays (a feature never shown in the first Death Star). That actually further reduces the mass of the station as a whole.