Would you buy a Knights of the Old Republic Reboot?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
With rumors abound that Mass Effect 4 is going to be a reboot/moved to a different galaxy, and how EA's version of Battlefront is being billed as a "reimagining" rather than Battlefront 3, I got thinking how well a Star Wars KOTOR reboot would be taken. Rather than act as a direct (or indirect, like TOR) sequel to the tale of Revan, would people be interested in seeing a similar styled game set in another century of the Old Republic?

Despite the Star Wars EU being blown up (which does include both KOTOR and The Old Republic), pretty much everything that occurred chronologically before the Prequels is still fair game, unless directly contradicted. Stuff like Darth Bane destroying the Sith Brotherhood on Ruusan, or the Great Hyperspace War and the Sith War are still in a murky grey area, continuity wise. I think that this would be a great place to set a KOTOR style game.

In particular, there is a time known as the Draggulch Period, a thousand year conflict that ended with the culmination of the New Sith Wars a thousand years before A New Hope. The Galaxy literally went into a dark age during this time, where the Republic basically collapsed for centuries and total anarchy reigned. Almost nothing is written about the early years of this age, and it could be fertile grounds for another Star Wars RPG.

Thoughts? Would you take a reboot of this style? Or are you still riding the Revan wagon?

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Part of me says yes, but a majority of me says no, only because bioware under EA is garbage and they would just ruin it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
snekadid said:
Part of me says yes, but a majority of me says no, only because bioware under EA is garbage and they would just ruin it.
I share this guy's opinion for the most part, with a smidge more optimism. I'd actually prefer HD remakes of Kotor 1 and 2, possibly with some restoration work done for Kotor 2 to bring it is line with Obsidian's original vision.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
A reboot of the original kotor? no. However I would definitely be interested in another game set in that time period or even earlier.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I would vastly prefer a Kotor 3 if possible, one that doesn't completely disregard everything from Kotor 2's plot and remains true to the spirit of the series. You know, unlike SWTOR which I can't say I particularly liked for a number of reasons.

If that's not possible... honestly I'd say just drop it. Kotor 1 and 2 hold up well enough that they don't need an HD remake or anything and I'd rather not have another reboot or only vaguely related tie-in. Kotor was a good series, it can be left alone with it's dignity intact.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Rebooting franchises is like eating pre-chewed food. Just swallow it and move on to a new story.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I wouldn't fight a reboot, so long as Bioware still makes it in the similar fashion of the the first two. With the same combat and the like. Might actual be nice to see what characters and planets they can come up with.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
No but I would buy KOTOR 3. After checking the reviews and forum comments to make sure it isn't a buggy unfinished mess like KOTOR 2.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Sadly no, because it would most likely contain some form of "cinematic" gameplay such as an OTS view, quicktime-fighting, 30fps, etc.
Not to mention the DLC and DRM.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
G00N3R7883 said:
No but I would buy KOTOR 3. After checking the reviews and forum comments to make sure it isn't a buggy unfinished mess like KOTOR 2.
A buggy, unfinished mess it was, but I still think KotOR 2 was the superior game, and is one of the best examples of video game storytelling I've ever experienced.

Honestly, all they would have to do is skip ahead a few thousand years and give us KotOR 3.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Eh... My answer would have to be Yes*

*The original was great, Kotor2 was not as good (suffered from far inferior/vastly more annoying characters), and kotor 3 (aka TOR) was pretty much an unmitigated disaster. If it looked like the game was going to be based on the first title, I'd be all for it - that one had the best characters, the best dialog, and by far the best story/twist.

Updating the battle system to not be AD&D from the 90s would be nice, but even if they kept it in, simply being a little more descriptive would help newer players out. Everything else was fine.

I particularly applaud kotor 1/2 for being literally the only games in history where a moral choice system made any sense whatsoever. Force-sensitive hero that can lean either dark or light side based on decisions and dialog choices, and gain abilities unique to each? Yes... that was a great display of mechanics as a narrative device.

Mass Effect's paragon/renegade system was a complete fucking joke, and shouldn't have even existed. All it did was give you the occasional new dialog option, and to get 100% paragon or 100% renegade you had to make those decisions all the time even in scenarios when it doesn't make sense (shooting at a villain in a cutscene gave renegade points... but often it's the most logical course of action). Having to hold back from doing fun shit like that for the sole purpose of appeasing a progress bar in a video game with no other reward than seeing it filled is very bad design. Kotor sidestepped that issue entirely, despite being an earlier game, by simply making the player a Grey Jedi and his actions lean him one way or the other. Flawless execution.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
SlumlordThanatos said:
Honestly, all they would have to do is skip ahead a few thousand years and give us KotOR 3.
So you want a Knights of the Slightly Less Old But Still Not Exactly New Republic. A KotSLOBSNENR.

OT: What I want is for franchises to have an end as long as they are still good. No need to keep going until finally the one bad game comes out that kills the franchise. No Reboots, No Reimaginings, No Remakes, and no Resurrections to continue the story.

If you want a game in another period just call it something different. Call it Jedi Adventure Time Fun or whatever. No need to drag the KotOR name with you and risk enraging the community when the game blows.
It worked for the Infinity Engine games. They all play in the same universe but different places. And they all have different names.
And it makes sense. You don't need to worry about nerds crying that Baldur's Gate: Icewind Dale Chronicles was a betrayal of the Baldur's Gate name. Because it is not a Baldur's Gate. It is just similar.
I hope that makes sense. At least it does in my head.
BTW: I'm not saying that Icewind Dale is bad game, because it isn't. It was just a hypothetical.

If you don't do that then you end up with Arcania. And I'm sure none of us wants Arcania: KotOR 3.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I would love to play another non-MMO KotOR game, but im not sure that I would agree with a reboot, or a remaster. Whatever they did, though, I would bloody well want a better combat system.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
If it was by Bioware now probably not although I do think the original KOTOR is one of their best games that straddled the line between more hardcore but extensive past games like Baldurs gate while being accessible enough for new players, after this game they started going downhill imo and since ME2 I was well and truly out.

I would like a new KOTOR game tho, still have not played the second one really should buy it on GOG and patch it up with the mods. I would prefer a reboot than a remake as a remake would hold no appeal to me I can still play the original just fine and dont feel improved visuals would do much for it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
If a sequel to KOTOR 2 isn't an option, I'd prefer it if they just make a new story in the old republic rather than rebooting Revan's story.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The first was good, and still works well. The second with the restored content is good, not as good. But that's Lucas Art's fault for pushing an incomplete game.

"If they reworked TOR in to a single player game..." seems to be an argument that many have pulled out, but, that wouldn't work. A lot of content would have to be cut for a coherent story to be pulled out of it.

Maybe if they set it 1,000 years after TOR, start fresh and not make it an MMO, it'd work great.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i dont know probably i would if it was a single player even if they started over with a fresh bunch of characters i love the old republic setting the MMOG was trash but the setting was good and kotor 1&2 were excellent games

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
I'd like a KOTOR that doesn't force you to be a Jedi. That game had a huge, rich skill tree derived (apparently) from the tabletop, but if you invest in anything but Jedi stuff you're quite clearly doing it wrong.

Oh, let's be honest. I want a Boba Fett RPG.