Would you clone yourself?

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
I just finished watching "The Island", with Ewan McGregor, among others, where a company will clone you, for a price, in case of an emergency - should you need for example, new bonemarrow.

And that got me wondering. What's your take on cloning human beings? I'm well aware that we aren't capable of doing so yet, however, medicine and science is forever evolving and it will, undoubtebly be possible at some point.

Would you want to clone yourself, in case of a lethal disease? Or perhaps just to have another 'you' go to work while you browse the escapist? For what purpose would you clone yourself, if any?

Or why wouldn't you?

Is cloning just wrong overall? Should humans cease their venture into the creation of life, as such?

Would a cloned life be just as valuable as that of the "original"?

Lots of questions, so feel free not to answer all of them. But let's see if we can get a good discussion going!

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
No, not if it would become a fully functional human being. If you could clone "bits" (say, a cloned tissue sample without the rest of the body) then sure, why not.

But a whole person would be just that - just because they were copied from my genetic code and grown in a bowl, that wouldn't make them any less valid. I'd see them as a twin. Like me, but subject to their own independent development, and entitled to it.

And I wouldn't want to unleash two of Me on the world.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Hmmm... I wonder if there could be any complications caused by cloning a clone...
Nah, I don't need a silly fleshy clone of me. Machines are the way forward. Just somehow make a copy of my mind and stick it in a machine. That would make me happy.
However, I don't see cloning as wrong. So why not.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I wouldn't mind having a mindless bag of tissue to harvest if I suddenly needed a new kidney, arm, or heart.
But I would be against cloning another me, for any reason.

I have enough trouble arguing with myself, and that is an intangible entity that I have created myself, for myself, within myself.
Having a physical body attached to that, would just cause insanity or violence, wayyyyy too quickly.
Although... it WOULD make for some interesting Trolling.

Edit:
Greyfox105 said:
Hmmm... I wonder if there could be any complications caused by cloning a clone...
Nah, I don't need a silly fleshy clone of me. Machines are the way forward. Just somehow make a copy of my mind and stick it in a machine. That would make me happy.
However, I don't see cloning as wrong. So why not.
I agree entirely with the machine comment.
Also, I don't think cloning is wrong, it just depends what you do with the clone.
I would consider the clone just as human as yourself, no matter what.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
one of me is plenty. Although, if I were to go a similar route it would be something like this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Project-Paper-clone/
where I could make a non-living decoy.

NoCure

Dec 9, 2010
I would respectfully decline, only because I know me -- and the doppleganger me would do something REALLY bad and then blame original me and then I would have to suffer.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
No. They wouldn't be me, and having someone just like me about would be infuriating.

Sam G

Jul 14, 2009
I've always kind of dreamed of having a fight with myself... it'd be cool. One of us could dress up in all black and be the "Anti-Sam", and the other one could just wear my normal clothes, and we'd have a big pre-fight monologue followed by an awesome battle...

Also, sexy-time. Lot o' that. That's another dream of mine.

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
I would but I have the sneaking suspicion that my friend's boyfriend is already my clone. It's freaking weird man!

Bobipine

Jan 22, 2010
I wouldn't clone myself, my life's boring enough with just one me so... (and apparently my double lives in the same city as I do)

and I also don't see the point of cloning, at least not from the process I think cloning would work. You'd basically create a new you, but, just physically. The clone would be a newborn baby, with his own sentient mind, so is also a fully human being as you are, and it's not like underpopulation is a problem right now.

Forcing him/her to do some tasks would be the same a slavery, for experiments, well, you'd torture living beings as well (not that it's not already happening), and for emergency body parts, again, they are sentient as well, and the size of the organ might not be the same, depending on the age of the clone. Also, if you have some kind of hereditary disease, the clone will have it as well.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
A perfect clone of myself + everything I know: Yes, would be like having a brother to be honest.
I am the type of person who gets along with others and knowing myself, we would get along just fine.

A Perfect clone of myself - everything I know: Perhaps... maybe... Since this clone would look like me but not be me, he would be a different person then me... perhaps if the clone was made to be female instead of male... then she would be like a sister... kind of.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I don't think cloning full humans for medical reasons will become a real issue, since it will likely be much easier to just grow the organs anyway. However if it did happen i would say that clones should have the same rights as other humans, and certainly shouldn't be harvested for organs.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Depending on exactly how the clone was grown and raised, depending on what it was missing, depending on the legality, and depending on the need.

I'm actually kind of partial to the way cloning is handled in Shadowrun. The clones are grown as property instead of as individuals. They lack all form of thinking, and are designed to be harvested specifically for organ replacement. The actual functions of the clones are very tightly controlled, and their purposes are exact. The technical legal term as defined by fast vat grown clones is "wimp" as to specify from natural slow birth clones.

Would I get a slow grown clone? Probably not, would I get a wimp or two for organs. You bet.

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
No, it would creep me out thinking that there would be another me out there who has the potential to be even lazier than me.