Would you help me with my research?

l0ckd0wn

Jul 17, 2012
Played game; answered survey. Hopefully this helps your class. Not sure I agree with the way the 'game' is setup, but it's supposed to trigger thought, which it does, but at the extent of realism.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I found it interesting, but my game senses often kicked in and it become a fun problem rather than something emotional. Unfortunately I tried to play it 3 times and it froze on all attempts so I can't really go for the questionnaire sorry

Haukur Isleifsson

Jun 2, 2010
Makes me feel lucky to live in a place where the system helps you when you need it. Not that I have needed it much so far but knowing that a stroke of bad luck wont put me out on the street is very comforting.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I managed to make out with $77 in the end, and that was with a focus on saving. Still, some of the scenarios definitely made me think twice, usually when it came to health. I found those to be especially difficult to account for, knowing that in the long run they can pile up and royally screw me and my family over. Some of the situations (like my kid being upset because of the other kids are making fun of his free lunch) I simply ignored because I saw those as temporary problems, not something that can be truly life-threatening.

I filled out the survey too. Let us know how everything turns out!

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
That was a weird experience. Actually highlights a lot of differences between USA and UK because several of those problems are complete non-issues here and were big losses to sort out in the game.

Alcoholidayer

Sep 16, 2012
Wow, great game. On my first and honest playthrough, made it with around 360$. My best was 630$ when I basically acted like a dick to everybody but my kid.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
First attempt, got the temp job, didn't spend money on wasteful things, helped my kid out instead of hiring a tutor, never got an option for a dog. Ended with $623, the need for a root canal, and chest pains that might be an oncoming heart attack. Well then.
EDIT: Answered the questionnaire. Then again, it might be a bit skewed because I'm a college student.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I lost the first time at about day 4 - damn health insurance.
Now finished with $948 by being a complete asshole and breaking open my child's piggy bank....I'm a monster :(

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
i skipped the medical insurance myself because *I* literally NEVER get sick. (the PC is a wuss though. depressed after a month of working and having money? try 4 YEARS of no-work no-money! that's where i'm at!)

i felt shoe-horned into making a lot of bad decisions when i can think of a much better one within seconds. where's the option to turn in your landlord/boss on the rent-raise/union BS for example?

the PC is also in a much worse situation that i was (having a car and a kid, no friends to help out) though he somehow received work on the first interview. i've fervently applied for jobs for the last 4 years with absolutely no luck.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
It's a good tool for giving people a look at things through a poorer perspective. It really demonstrates the short/long term dichotomy.

I don't have too much money, and a while ago, I had to make a decision. I need my car for school, and my job is as a driver, so it depends on it. The car was making bad noises, had a damaged exhaust, and I was risking a citation by the police by having it damaged, and it caused the car to run poorly, costing me in fuel and potentially breaking down in future. I could pay the $300 to fix it then, or leave it and save the money. I ended up having to fix it, and cut the budjet for two months. You really end up sacrificing long-term health just to survive, the game reminded me of my diet of beans and noodles. The student diet isn't a health lifestyle, and while it's cheap, you'll pay heavier fees in medical expenses down the line if you're not careful.

I think the game needs to try to stop people "playing" the system. Try to make them aware of the shitty life they're living, and the overall decline in their happyness, health, and increase in stress, and family disfunction. Granted, I lost out on day 23, so maybe I missed that.

ClaudeDante

Sep 3, 2010
Frankly, me and my team are overwhelmed. We didn't expect this many results, so thank you all for participating! We actually have 84 surveys and counting, we are very grateful indeed! :D

I will now take the opportunity to answer some of your questions and/or remarks which we've read and taking into account.

While the game is supposed to represent the situation of a poor person living in America, it is very important to have opinions from people are over the world. This allows us to gain an international view on this particular situation, which is incredibly helpful. So please don't hesitate to answer if you're not american, quite the contrary! :)

Some of you pointed out that the game is not very realistic. Actually, the purpose of the game is to give the player a message. Do not think that you're playing the role of somebody in particular. Think of it as a collection of many a person's experience during this troubled financial crisis which many world economies are experiencing.

Finally, we like it when people tell us that they enjoyed the game. However, some people gave us credit for it, and we must adress this. We did not make the game, the game was made by the ad agency McKinney for the Urban Ministries of Durham, so thank them instead :p

Also, when our research is ready we'll let you know! Thanks for all the answers, we're reading each and everyone of them. Keep 'em coming! :)

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Tallim said:
That was a weird experience. Actually highlights a lot of differences between USA and UK because several of those problems are complete non-issues here and were big losses to sort out in the game.
That's what I thought. Free healthcare, and free dentalcare. The UK does something right for once. I used to think it might be nice to live in the USA, but hells no.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
Excellent game, really.
The only thing missing is the opportunity to apply for a different job if you lose your first and the ability to try and hold down multiple jobs (Possibly including sleep deprivation?).

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Deathlyphil said:
Tallim said:
That's what I thought. Free healthcare, and free dentalcare. The UK does something right for once. I used to think it might be nice to live in the USA, but hells no.
Yes it might be somewhat of a Nanny state and there are people who abuse the benefits system but when things go wrong then you know you aren't going to be hung out to dry. Had personal experience of it when my wife died and I had to quit work to look after my then 6 week old daughter.

OT:Also this game reminds me somewhat of Alter Ego, albeit on a more focussed message. Fortunately someone redid Alter Ego (it is truly ancient now) to work in a browser and it's a very interesting game:

http://www.playalterego.com/alterego

bitzi61

Jan 28, 2009
I was able to finish with like $78 left... but I had one IOU and no insurance for the car... Better make sure I don't drive horribly!

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Well, at least my kid is supposedly gifted... I hope the money I spent on him makes him better off when he grows up.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
Finished with $417, no debt, and a tooth ache. Seriously, you don't get basic dental emergencies covered with insurance in US? That's just idiotic.