Would you join an off-world colonization effort?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Oh, I am so fucking gone. I would jump at the opportunity to go off-world even if it does end up like Pandorum (or whatever that movie was called). For irony's sake, I'm getting the '___ dies of dysentery' shirt based off of Oregon Trail.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I'd go as a part of wave 2 or 3 colonisation efforts. Let the first wave be the test dummies, and if they make it, maybe head off there and then, or maybe wait for one more lot after that.
Hopefully by then a lot of the problems will have found solutions, and whilst I may not get as big of a reward in the prestige department, I hardly need that anyway.

Jan 13, 2012
Only if the planet is green and purdy otherwise it'll be boring. And if I can bring weapons and professionally trained space marines then I'll build a mining corparation and create an opressive government. Can't let those filthy Earthlings have their ways with us.

Jan 27, 2011
I had a dream about that one time, a good few years ago.

...And no, I wouldn't go. I would be leaving behind all my friends. Unless all my friends and family get to come, I'm not going.

As shit as this world is, my whole life is here. I can't leave it behind.

--
Relating to my dream:

If I remember right, in my dream, my mom signed me up, telling me that it would be my chance to make something of myself. And then I found out that by the time I would get to come home, the relativity would make it so that everyone I cared about would be LOOONG dead. So she was all like "well, look up their descendants!". to which I was like "It's...not the same".

Then I tried calling my friends and none replied, although I did get to chat with one friend for about 30 seconds and all he said was "do what you think is best, man". ...Then, as I was getting on the shuttle, I said screw it, get one of the reserve guys on, I'm not going.

My parents were not too pleased, but I told them that I didn't give a rat's ass about making the history books, and that my friends meant too much to me to leave them behind. And then I wondered where my life would have gone if I HAD gone.

And then there was some weird reversal where I saw what would have happened if I had gone, and there was some weirdness where I turned into a shape shifting sea slug, the world was all made of water, I got abused by two of my family's descendants, hooked up with a bunch of kids who got arrested for 3 years for crashing a skateboard, and then I went no more heroes on an escaped gorilla trying to destroy the freeway. 0_o

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Probably. I like the idea of dying off-world. But to be honest I've barely seen anything of this planet so I would like to travel Earth for a few more years first.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I think that would be interesting. I personally think my life on Earth isn't going anywhere interesting anytime soon so yeah I'd go.

The only thing that might unhindge this would be the fact I might go stir crazy from the long trip out to the new planet.

On a side note: it would be awesome if we came across sentient lifeforms from like the star wars or mass effect universe since some of the alien females are easy on the eyes. Yes I said it, don't bug me about it.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a7clqqbHZI&list=FLC77nKmGE7pzMYv5_SIe_gw&index=5&feature=plpp_video

Can I bring a friend or two and call them my family? I just don't know if they would go for it.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
If it doesn't take too long to get there and I can bring guns and ammo to deal with the space monsters sure why not.

Mindless1

Feb 29, 2012
Honestly I don't see this in my emmeinent future. I may only be twentythree years of age, but I still find it unlikely. If I was given the propisition today, I'd be that whipped guy that would say "I need a night to roll it over." I then would proceed to go home and say to my missus "Baaaaaaby... There's this guy who says we could be the first people to live on the moooon/mars/omicron persi I8 and you always said you wanted to travel to new and exciting places." I'd have no qualms about leaving the land I live in to start a new colony some where, I mean my fore fathers left their country to start a new life some where else so why shoudln't I? It would suck to be the first one to die of space famin, mars plague.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Hell yes, but do I have to take family with me? And why with no gravity? Given that the engines gave to be mega-powerful for decent spaceflight, then you have ready-made gravity in the way of acceleration.