Would you kill your friend to save 10 other people

Adecristo

May 20, 2010
Maybe this question was asked before, but I didn't see such topic; so:

Imagine that you were sent on a mission. You have 24 hours to kill your best friend while talking with him/her, by shooting him/her in his/her chest. He/she would know you did that, and wouldn't know, why. (You can't tell him/her about that)

If you don't do that, 10 innocent people you don't know will die (for example, a small air plane will be blown up).

No matter what you chose, you can't ever tell anyone about what you've done and why, or both 10 innocent people and your best friend will be killed.

What would you choose: Let your friend live, and have the burden of killing 10 innocent people you didn't even know, or kill your friend and save 10 other lives, who don't know about that and won't even thank you for that?

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
No. I simply lack the moral fibre required to take a person's life, particularly someone I know.

Maybe that makes me a murderer, but I'll take inaction over pulling the trigger myself. Really, it's the fault of the mission giver anyway.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Hell no, my best friend's live is far more valuable to me then 10 random strangers. Thousands of random strangers die every day...

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
No. If I didn't know them I'd let my friend live. And this needs a poll.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Probably not - no matter how much people like to talk up "logic" in these hypothetical situations, if it got down to it logic is the last thing they'd be thinking about.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
I'd let the 10 people die. If it's from a plane crash or something, then I wouldn't be the one pulling the trigger, whereas if I wanted to save them, I'd have to shoot my best friend myself. Besides, I don't know those 10 strangers, many people die each day, and I don't want to kill my best friend. That's all.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
This is a very moral question because if you choose to keep your friend alive then your hurting the lives of more then 10 people and that could be 100 of people.
While you kill your friend then you label your self as a murderer and get exiled from your family and friends but save these 10 people which even don't know that you saved them!
So it's quite amazing isn't it? I would save my friend but I would also be plagued with the lives of hundreds of people damaged by my own actions.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
No. For the simple reason that those 10 people could be my friend but aren't.

But the thought: among those 10 people, could be *tadaa!* a friend of someone else. :p

Rewold

Mar 18, 2010
10 dead people is better than just one what with the overpopulation and all. Seriously though I couldn't kill anyone.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
If it was a good friend I would rather sacraficed myself if I could and if it were just someone who I know from school or someone like that then... sorry :)
If it was a good friend and I couldnt sacrafice myself then 10 poor bastards is going down.

JacobyPAX

Jun 14, 2010
what circumstances would arise to create such a scenario. The only idea I can come up with is some super-villains convoluted scheme to test my moral character. Why should I care about the 10 people, for all I know they are rapists and murderers. I know that my friend is at least relatively good.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Total agreement with the whole thread so far!

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire.

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
Vhite said:
If it was a good friend I would rather sacraficed myself if I could and if it were just someone who I know from school or someone like that then... sorry :)
If it was a good friend and I couldnt sacrafice myself then 10 poor bastards is going down.
I'll tell you what instead of sacrificing yourself how about killing the person telling you to do it?
I know I would.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
No. I would blaim the mission giver. I would hold who ever placed this burden on me responsable.