Would you pay to play Elder Scrolls MMO?

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
None of the people from Fallout 1 & 2 are at the current Interplay, and they haven't released a decent game in about a decade, so the MMO would have been a disaster. Even the "No Mutants Allowed" cranks admit that Bethesda is doing a better job with the franchise than the current Interplay would.

I'd definitely give some consideration to an Elder Scrolls MMO, but it would depend on a lot of things, and I don't think they're really making one.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
No, I would not pay to play a TES MMO. I am not a fan of TES at all and I cant even be bothered to play Skyrim (not really a lot of point to do so until all the DLC is released)

Would not play a fallout MMO out of protest of it being forcibly extracted via litigation.

Im not saying either would ness. be a bad addition to the MMO market, Just one set of lore simply does not interest me, and the other prospect I find disgusting in light of events that have transpired.

Besides that... Ive lost faith in Bethesdas ability to make an RPG, much less an MMO.

Dont think the franchise would be destroyed. Never got peoples irrational response to the MMOs implying both Warcraft and KoToR are both dead because of the MMO.

Besides... MMOs.. are not an enjoyable experience. MMO conventions prohibit what would make an MMO enjoyable in favor of what makes an MMO economically viable. So Yeah, done with MMOs in general anyway.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
No, I think I'm done with MMOs. I enjoyed SWTOR, but realized I just don't have the time needed to put into a MMO anymore.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
A Fallout MMO I would play, but only when and if they dropped the subscription system.

A TES MMO does not interest me in the slightest, because Oblivion has forever tainted my view on the series.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Pancho Agdeppa said:
Do you think the series will be destroyed if a MMO Elder Scrolls happen?
Based on what happened with Warcraft I would say "no" but, I know there are players out there who just want a new, traditional Warcraft release. I'm sure there's at least one person who hates that Warcraft has become a MMO in general but you can't deny that most WOW players wouldn't give two squits about the original games in the series.

That being said, I strongly dislike MMO games. If the Elder Scrolls does get an MMO I'll leave it be, free or not. WoW only held my attention for about a month and I haven't given Rift or, Star Wars a chance. I would just stick with the older Elder Scrolls games (especially considering I haven't beaten Morrowind yet)

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
No, I have a thing against MMO's in established series. It tends to ruin the series of games because they put resources into the MMO and not the actual series.

For example, World of Warcraft happened after Warcraft 3, and now there are no more RTS Warcraft games. I don't want the to happen to the elder scrolls basically. And MMO's tend to change the way a game is played, and I like the way the series is now. I don't want multiplayer in ES except for maybe a coop option anmd that'd be it. It's a deep immersive single player game and I love it for that.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
No it would be crap because no one could rebalance and finish it..... not to mention no mods.....

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Lucem712 said:
Rawne1980 said:
Pancho Agdeppa said:
Do you think Bethesda should make a Fallout MMO instead of Elder Scrolls?
I'll answer that one first.

If Bathesda back off and leave Interplay to do their job we will have a Fallout MMO (it is currently being made by Interplay, they kept the rights to the MMO when they sold Fallout on).
I'm afraid Fallout Online was cancelled in January and Bethesda reclaimed the right after Interplay was found in breach of its contract with Bethesda.
Yeah I corrected myself a few posts later.

I hadn't checked any news about it this year so still thought Interplay had it. And then stupidly shot my typing fingers off without checking the facts first.

As far as I can tell though, Interplay are still working on a project "similar" to Fallout Online they just had to drop all Fallout references.

It seems they also have a few more projects lined up if they can get financial backing.

Nelle

Mar 16, 2012
And remember Elder Scrolls did have a Multiplayer Game one time and its Elder Scrolls Battlespire. And it focused more on Co-op and Deathmatch.

I dont know. I can consider playing Fallout MMO. But Elder Scrolls MMO? Gotta think about it. or if those two games happen to hit the Free-to-Play status. then i would play them just for the sake that i love those series.. a lot.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
1: I wouldn't play it but thats because I don't like MMOs.
2: Hell no. Bethesda has done enough damage to Fallout as it is. I don't want them to screw it even more.
3: Not really. Lore and story wise TeS has never been anything special. An MMO would probably fit the franchise pretty well now that I think about it.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
MMO's are where series go to die. My favorite rts Warcraft III and it's expansion died and became WoW. One of favorite series on original xbox the knights of the old republic died and became TOR. I wouldn't pay to play a elder scrolls MMO because of what happens when a series becomes a MMO it is a death sentence. Plus what makes elder scrolls fun there openness to do anything would be impossible for a mmo as the land would be stripped barren of plates, forks, plants and naked dead npcs would be everywhere.

Necro144

Nov 25, 2010
Yes but only if it came with free unlimited DLC, autopatching and a guarantee that if it did die I would be refunded with premium membership to the Escapist for life.
...and no to Fallout MMO. dead horse all flogged out.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
No probably not, nothing against Bethesda or anything, but MMO's just aren't my thing. I rarely play anything besides singleplayer anyways

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
As long as the mmo isnt being developed by the main studio and doesn't get in the way of the single-player development, meh, i might try it out.

#1) Well, from a marketing stand-point, elder scrolls is more popular than the fallout series, there's also more lore to go off of and a lot of stories to work with. However, i think a Fallout MMO would make more sense as the player(s) just being strangers surving in a retro-postapocalyptic world would make a lot more sense and be way easier to work with than trying to convince everyone theyre the "choosen one" in a world about fantasy like the elder scrolls usually is.

#2) Again, as long as its being developed from a studio that is seperated from the single-player games, it should be fine.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Would I pay to play it? No.

Would I pay it if it was "free"? No.

Would I play a Fallout MMO? No. Do I think Bethesda should make that instead? Yes, because I'm not invested in that series.

Do I think the series will be destroyed? Hopefully not, but I do not think an MMO would affect it in a positive direction...

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Hell no! When it comes to MMOs class balance tends to be a big thing, and Bethesda are not very well know for making games that are balanced.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll play a single player version of Fallout 4 or the next TES, but not the MMO. Most if not every Bethesda game has been broken as hell, and to have that in PvP or even PvE playing against other players? I'm sorry, no!

Moonmover

Feb 12, 2009
I've never played an MMO I liked.

I like the idea of MMO's. You've got a massive, ever-evolving world where thousands of players work together to accomplish epic goals. Wow! That sounds great!

I've tried several, including ones that I keep hearing are the "best" of the genre. Every one I've tried turned out to be nothing but level-grinding, convoluted number-crunching, and linear progression through ugly enviroments. They are, in short, boring.

I like the Elder Scrolls series, but unless Bethesda bucked pretty much every gameplay mechanic that has come to define MMO's over the years, I can't see myself enjoying such a game.

ADDENDUM: Drop-in/drop-out co-op would be pretty cool, though.