Would you play Call of Duty Future Warfare?

TheNewDemoman

Feb 21, 2010
I don't even like the COD franchise

Problem is that's all my friends play. So I pick it up used a week later.

mighty_wambat

Jan 26, 2011
to be realistic, the days of massive armies clashing with conventional projectile weapons is long over. super powers will use technology, gps, guided missiles, bio weapons, nukes ect ect ect. there will never be another d-day, never be another massive tank battle, and the chance of manned aircraft clashing in large numbers is really small.

i don't think people are bored of ww2, there bored of the exact same re-telling of ww2

i don't think most Americans realize how small the war they saw was. the battle of Stalingrad alone was as large as the entire western European and north African campaign together.

what about the crack soviet troops who fought the Japanese in eastern Siberia?
what about jewish ghetto resistance in Germany?
how many people under the age of 40 have even heard of the Turkish genocide of Armenia. videogames are becoming the active narrative medium of this generation. war games are easy and sell well. so if we are going to tell the story of war, lets tell the whole story.

i would love to play as the mujaheddin fighting the soviet invasion of Afghanistan. or the German non ss Germans troops attacking the much more vicious much more desperate equally genocidal soviet army. not just shooting them but the whole story of war. a game that would try and convey time and what it was like to fight under equipped or without coats or exactly why people behaved the way they did in soviet Russia or Hitlers Germany, remember the first act of half life 2? running from civil protection while they arrest people, the fear and desperation of living under a totalitarian state? so how about smuggling jews or making the Schindler list type choices, or being a treasonous German officer?

ever see the movie gataca? its sci-fy but there are no flying cars or robots, its about how society changes to reflect new technology, modern sci-fi games often consist of "hey look! we have space guns, lets get in our space cars or space pods and shoot other space marines! we have to preserve space freedom! and defend our space ... space!"

so, getting back to the original point, do we want call of duty is space? sure, why not. but is not the step forward the industry needs.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Eh... The closer CoD gets to the future the closer it'll start getting into Halo's territory.

And CoD won't be able to be as good as Halo if they go the same era vs era. Compare Bungie to Treyarch. No contest. Props for Treyarch trying to be more like Bungie in the community interaction department but they still got a long way to go before I hold them in as high regard as Bungie.

But modern shooters are heavily saturating the market right now. MAYBE one more to close up Modern Warfare's story but any more than that are going to definetly be a "Sigh... another modern shooter?" game. They already are becoming that.

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
Trezu said:
but i wanted to know what everyday people think
So reading the magazine makes you more than an everyday person?

OT: Yes, Call Of Duty, gtfo of World War II.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
No. FPS games are way to similar for me to care anymore. Who can afford 3 games a year that are almost identical to their predecessors and only marginally different from each other. I like BO so I'll stick with that for my FPS to play. I won't buy another FPS for more than %20 for quite a while. Think I'll stick with RPG's like DA2, Skyrim, and maybe the Witcher series, for this year.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Meatman said:
Flat out told everyone I knew that I didn't want black ops so I wouldn't recieve it later on. So, I'm sorry, but your statement is complete rot. I'm not bullshitting you, I would actually turn down a new CoD if someone gave it to me, or would sell it on.

Would you now? So you'd play a game that none of your friends are playing online, or anyone you know, rather then play wats a mediocre game? And obviously you did play, (whether out of obligation or not) so my argument isnt rot, cause you did play. Also BO wasnt infinity ward. its the different of what basically will be Microsoft handing over Halo to someone other then Bungie. When that games sucks (and it will) halo fans will bleet and baa that it wasnt a Bungie game, so it shouldnt be held in a serious discussion/comparison to the ones Bungie did make.

Meatman said:
If you like playing it then no other game is going to make you renounce it and never play it. As it is, I prefer gears of war 2 for the mindless, brain blowing fun. The headshot noise is THE most satisfying noise. Period. And seeing what was your enemy fly away from you in little gibblets after you hit them point blank with the shotgun is always fun. The online is no where near as broken as mw2 was.
My only statement to that are these:
1) No, things will change my mind. I'm not saying CoD is the greatest shooter I've ever played (that goes to Star Wars Battlefront 2, the only reason I'm not playing it now is I sold my game and PS2 after I got my PS3 and I dont know anyone that still plays), but I'm not saying its the worst, and its certainly good for a multiplayer that has a wide community with plenty of new people to play with. I simply said that out of all the cookie cutter shooters since CoD came out (STBF2 and GoW2 included, cause Gears of War2 was tripe in comparison to GoW1, and thats from my friends who play the 360) has really done anything revolutionary that in the end you can say isnt a CoD/Halo clone and set the bar for its genre?

2) Are these games that are available across all systems. Because I wont touch another microsoft system after that Abortion the original Xbox spewed out of itself called Drake of the 99 Dragons. In fact, the last 360 I touched was one of those Halo 3 special additions that my friend had bought and had recon armour on. And we blew that up, with all the swag, account, and game included so he wasnt tempted to leave the PS3 as he first got into it. Yeah, thats great if a game is amazing like Halo CE. But what good is that when only half (really a third) of the gaming market can play it, and dont want to leave their other system just for one title? Sure, there's always console differences, and you can play someone on the Live system with a PSN membership. BUt at least you can still experience the game.

So gears of war 2 is excluded from the argument, because thats a 360 exclusive which my friends who have played it said is garbage and cookie cutter, and you want to defend. To use your own argument against you, you like it, so nothing is going to change your mind of it. SO what game one BOTH (well, all THREE) consoles really and honestly blows CoD out of the water in its experience?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
SteewpidZombie said:
And the whole American Message is basically that Russia is bad and US is good (Both games have Russian bad guys who somehow get ahold of nukes that they decide to launch at the US. And of course, Oh woe is the US being threatened by the Russian boogeyman, untill of course they get their Marines to kick into gear to kick some Middle Eastern (Mod 1) or Russian (Mod 2) arse. (Plus a Mod 3 would top the cake since it would revolve around a American invasion of Russia (Hinted by the US Marines in Mod 2 talking about attacking Russia or taking the war back to Russia).
Sounds more to me like a symbolism of the iraq/Afghani war the US is involved in then anything else. Mod 1 starts with a "terrorist" like party that wants to destroy the Russian gov. that is in an allied and somewhat peaceful relation with the US. So the US goes in and supports the gov that is in the more favorable alliance and props up a gov under them (Support of Bin Laden during the, um... 70s(?) or was it 80s? either way). Mod 2, the guys that you helped support are PISSED cause their gov and country are gutted out because of the debt. So they see the only option is the same as what Japan's was before ww2. Either you let the opposing figure crush you and take you over (the follow the sanction route) or you attack and issue war, hoping you can beat your opponent and be the one on top this time (bomb Pearl Harbor).

Then again, maybe I missed something in the story, but I thought the whole thing about Russia being bad was an American set up all the dominos to fall the way they did, and the main bad ruusian guy was a disciple of the main russian "terrorist" baddie from Mod 1. So really the message is one of two things:
1) dont trust people of really high power with connections, and make sure they are checked and balanced.
2) When you put a problem like this down, make sure you destroy ALL of it, or it will come back to bite you in the ass later.

At least, thats what I took away from it. Then again, I also saw that Americans were largely incompetent in solving things an needed to take a BIG OL' SLICE of humble pie and accept that the UK is our ally for a reason, and hopefully will be trusted to help fix our messes and not leave us out to flop like a fish out of water.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
SteewpidZombie said:
*Facepalm* My bad, 'Price' lets the nuke hit the US in Mod 2. He was on the submarine and didn't bother stopping the launch. And the whole American Message is basically that Russia is bad and US is good (Both games have Russian bad guys who somehow get ahold of nukes that they decide to launch at the US. And of course, Oh woe is the US being threatened by the Russian boogeyman, untill of course they get their Marines to kick into gear to kick some Middle Eastern (Mod 1) or Russian (Mod 2) arse. (Plus a Mod 3 would top the cake since it would revolve around a American invasion of Russia (Hinted by the US Marines in Mod 2 talking about attacking Russia or taking the war back to Russia).

Edit: I just found that both games seemed to really have a Anti-Russian flow going on, kinda portraying the Russians as some Nuke tossing force of evil. Except the Russian dude 'Nikoli' or something who shows up to help everynow and again.
Price actually started the launch, and detonated the missile in order to let the EMP wipe out the electronics in D.C., making the Russians lose their armor and air superiority and give the Americans a fighting chance. The Russians weren't planning on launching that nuke (why would they? They still had an entire army in Washington), and the entire attack was a preemptive attack orchestrated by Price. It foreshadows as much in the opening cutscene to the mission ("Are you willing to do WHATEVER is necessary to win?")

Did you even play Modern Warfare 2? The entire story revolves around an AMERICAN general collaborating with a terrorist to cause both countries, Russia and America, to go at it. No one was the good guy or the bad guy in that scenario, except Shepard and Makarov. You play as the Americans because, believe it or not, they thought having you play a defensive role in a CoD game would be an interesting twist in the story. In every other one, you are on the offense to some degree. The American campaign in MW2 is actually really unique in that regard. But in terms of story, they actually accomplish quite little. The main plot still revolves around the UK dream team of Price, Soap, and whoever is being voiced by Gaz.

As for Modern Warfare 1, Zakhaev was an outsider even with his own country. He hardly represented ALL Russians. Hell, the main Russian army shows in up several missions to assist you. As for "Getting the Marines into gear to kick ass", remember the dramatic conclusion of the American campaign in MW1? Kaboom. Attacking the middle-east proves to be a very short-sighted, and ultimately ill-fated plan that ends badly for everyone, America especially. Not incredibly jingoistic by anyone's standards I'd say.

The only group in the CoD series that has really gotten off smelling like roses are the British and the rest of the UK, with the exception of a 10 minute section of Black Ops. And likewise, the only groups that are consistently portrayed as "the bad guys" are Op-For and the Axis Powers. Everyone else gets time on both sides of the fence.

chopperman

Jan 17, 2010
no, they fucked up too bad on black ops and I don't think I will be paying 60 dollars for another failure. but hey if it turns out to be good I'll buy it when its around 20 dollars and I know no money will be going back to COD

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
Trezu said:
World war 2 has been milked dry But does the Future hold Salvation

Please state your Arguments

Yes i did read this in a Magazine but i wanted to know what everyday people think
Funny how you say that i was thinking its about time we get to play as the germans,or the japaness or the italians,or missions based in the sahara,or as the polish fleeing/fighting the germans(or any other european countries) during the early stages of the war.There is so much potential and the funny thing is i hate WW2 games, i really do there all the same(storywise) and they never try unconvetional weponry.

ConnorB96

Nov 21, 2010
RAKtheUndead said:
I doubt it would work. In a series ostensibly meant to be realistic, attempts to be prescient about the future of combat will look ridiculous in twenty years' time.
Realistic? In Modern Warfare 2, money flew out of your body when you were killed with a Payback accolade. Not very realistic to me.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
why does it have to be call of duty? that's been done to death

oh ya... so have futuristic shooters

come to think of it, FPS games have grown very stale.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
I doubt it would work. In a series ostensibly meant to be realistic, attempts to be prescient about the future of combat will look ridiculous in twenty years' time.
This.

Unless it's the Ghost Recon method of just barely in the future?

radioactive lemur

May 26, 2010
Not saying I wouldn't play it, because in all likelihood I would, but I would much prefer MW3. Present day to near (as in forseeable) future would be my preference. I really like what Splinter Cell does in setting their games in a time roughly 5 years after the game's release. Next best would be semi-recent past like Black Ops. Future would be after that for me, but still considerably preferable to WW2. After the abomination that was COD: WaW I will absolutely NOT play another WW2 game.