Would you purposely name your child with something exotic or from a video game etc?

yusukethehedgehog

Nov 23, 2010
Anoni Mus said:
Zelda, sounds like a name and it's uncommon, so it would be cool for a girl.
Because it is a name (One I've considered naming a potential daughter). Fun Fact: Miyamoto named the princess of Hyrule after F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife Zelda Fitzgerald.

To those saying "No, people should use 'normal' names", what defines a "normal" name? Is it one that's common like John? Now, while I agree people shouldn't use words as names (like Chair or Iron) or name their children a mash of letters (like... I don't know, "Frexgint"), I for one think people start to use more diverse names.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I would name a son Adam, and a Daughter Alex. People would be like "oh thats a very normal name". And I would laugh, laugh into their stupid faces.

Either that, or I would go really abstract, like "Braidguy" or "AudiosurfShip". That would be great.

Solid Reece

Nov 19, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
If it's a boy, Dante of course!
Son:"daddy, why did you name me Dante?"
Me:"Shut up and keep applying that white hair dye"

If it's a girl...hmm, Maya perhaps?
Going to give him sword and gun lessons too?

OT:
If it was a boy - Sephiroth
If it was a girl - Tifa

I don't care what what others say, they can change their name when they 18 If they hate It that much.

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
I'm not gonna lie, if I have a son I will at least seriously suggest Garrus Vakarian Wilshere as his name. Who knows? Maybe by that point it'll be like how people will do a double take to girls named Zelda, or guys named Luke, but get over it after 5 seconds. I'm not sure if the wife ending up knowing where it's from or not will aid in the name being chosen, cause if she doesn't, it does sound like a very unique name that rolls off the tongue easily. When he gets old enough to ask me where his name came from... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Maybe I'll pass him off as an old friend of mine, from a different country, or something.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I read exotic as erotic... No wonder i WTF'd.

Anyway, I've never been good with picking names, but if i had a daughter, I'd possibly name her with something that ends with "andra" or "antha". Like Cassandra. I really like that name.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I would name my daughter Kula if it wasn't easily twisted to culo, ass in spanish. On the other hand I want to name my first daughter Penelope wich can be shortened to Pene wich is pennis in spanish, but i like Penelope so much i'm willing to make my daughter go through it.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I have a strange compulsion to name my never-gonna-happen kid Kieran because of Fire Emblem. It's not that uncommon of a name, though, so it could work. I'd just have to get used to pronouncing it k-ear-an rather than k-aye-ran as I did when I played the game.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Maybe not the first name but any son I have willbe given the middle name Dunottar. It's mostly because my dad wanted to give me it as a middle name but never got around to clearing it with my mon before she sent the papers out. Not from a video game obviously but it has an exotic highland ring to it :p

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
well i'm not really in favour of the most common of names, i personally have never ever not been in a class or at a job where not atleast one other person (if not more) have had the same name as me and it has pissed me off to no end, i will be giving my kids a name that is rather unique, not balls to the walls insane, just not the "popular" names.

i can't imagine why anyone would want to do that to their kid to be honest, it completely robs the child of a healthy sense of self, trust me i know.
besides the whole "kids are so cruel" thing most of the people here cite as one of the reasons not to choose a slightly more unique name is total BS kids will find something else to make fun of giving your kid a boring name will in no way spare them from teasing or anything, i was teased a lot too and i was pretty average, i didn't stand out so really there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop your future kid from being teased, all you can do is help them cope with it, you do your job right and your child will be better off for it than if you try to completely shield it from any sort of teasing that just leaves your child ill equiped to deal with that situation.

i myself am slightly partial to ancient greek names i have to say, though there are many names in ancient history/myths that are very nice.

CAPTCHA: atomic bomb. wtf?

spaceinvaderj

Mar 31, 2011
Probably wouldn't use it, but just maybe calling my kid Ualter Mario Adrian Damian.
"Oh, sir? You need to put your initials here."
"Sure..."

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
If I ever have kids I'd really try and push a unique name. As for naming them after a game character? Samus and Isaac are pretty good.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
The world won't change if you don't take any action.

Why not name your child something from art? Just because it isn't normal?

The world doesn't have to be stagnant.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I always use the logic that they're going to have to grow up with the name, have it pronounced by every kid and person they come in contact with, and eventually put it on job applications. So no, I will probably not do a video game reference, unless it's something subtle, like a middle name of Shepherd or something.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Shia-Neko-Chan said:
The world won't change if you don't take any action.

Why not name your child something from art? Just because it isn't normal?

The world doesn't have to be stagnant.
Because, believe it or not, that kid is going to have to grow up with that name. Everything "unusual" in schools is picked apart and stripped to find whatever is even vaguely possible to ridicule.

My mom works at an elementary school, and just today I received the annual list of odd and oddly spelled names which the poor new batch of kids from this year were given. There was Apryl, Denim, Breanya, Izbel-Strenity, Hallye, Phalen (I can already hear the kids shouting Phalen fails! Phalen is failin'!"). Seriously, those kids will have to spell their names to every single person they come in contact with. And Izbel-Strenity? That is so awkward, and will look like a joke on a job application. Same goes with Denim.

There's "different," and then there's ridiculous, and then there's outright setting them up for ridicule. If the kid wants an exotic name, let them pick it later in life. But don't make them grow up with something they're going to have to explain all throughout their childhood until their 18th birthday.