would you say this is wrong

jusplainrob

Aug 1, 2011
yesterday i saw a woman opening and giving a can of red bull to a child in a pram, i just thought it was wrong to be giving such a small child that kind of beverage or am i being old hat and prudish ?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I agree.

Small children shouldn't drink Red Bull.
Or other energy drinks for that matter.

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
I think it actually says on the cans of most engery drinks Dont give to small children. I don't rembere which but I know i've seen it before.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
jusplainrob said:
yesterday i saw a woman opening and giving a can of red bull to a child in a pram, i just thought it was wrong to be giving such a small child that kind of beverage or am i being old hat and prudish ?
Ok, I would agree that it isn't appropriate to give such a small child that kind of beverage.

...On the other hand, was she giving the child a small sip to make him or her stop complaining about being thirsty long enough to get from point A to point B in some pursuit? Or did she just hand the can to the kid and let them go to town? Because there's a big difference. Parents give their kids sips of whatever is handy if they are hot and bothered about it and making a fuss, eventually - and I don't think a sip would be that detrimental to the kid in the long run to bring down the wrath of society.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
chase miller said:
i also agree

giving caffeine to a minor is just wrong
any1 under 18 is a minor and believe me I know a ton of minors who drink/used to drink soda with caffine so you might want to rephase that saying kids under the age of 10? shouldn't have caffine.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Caffeine for a child that young is bad news. I would call it as much unhealthy both physically and mentally...For everyone. Not only that, "energy drinks" provides next to none in terms of nutrition which nutrition is important for them.

Ocealot

Aug 3, 2011
yes its wrong. But i dont understand. why would you give a child caffine I mean the longer they're asleep the better.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Curious as to how many people commenting here or the OP himself have kids of your own.

I've seen a lot of threads with people saying what you should or shouldn't give to a kid and only a very small percentage have children of their own.

For instance I have kids and if I want to give one of them an energy drink then I will do, what business is it of yours?

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
Ocealot said:
yes its wrong. But i dont understand. why would you give a child caffine I mean the longer they're asleep the better.
Caffine makes you more awake not sleepy, sorry to burst your bubble.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
It's dangerous and irresponsible, yes.

Matt Oliver said:
Ocealot said:
Which is what the guy implied.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
88chaz88 said:
It's dangerous and irresponsible, yes.

Matt Oliver said:
Ocealot said:
Which is what the guy implied.
My bad, thought it was the oppisite that he implied.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Matt Oliver said:
Ocealot said:
That's his point. Why make it more awake? ;)

OT: I think its people under 13 shouldn't drink things like red bull for health reasons. Still, can be as bad as an 15 yo alcoholic. Went to my school, filled up red bull bottles 30% straight vodka, 3 a day from Year 9 to 12. thankfully he's a recovered alcoholic now otherwise his liver would have kicked it.

xXCrocmonXx

Apr 16, 2009
Give them a sip to make 'em shut up. I was one of those kids who freaked out over being thirsty. Dad got pissed the time I did it while in the middle of a lake and said "Then get a sip of this," and handed me his beer can. I sipped it warily (knowing beer was bad for kids), then promptly spat it out. He laughed and said "Thirsty now?"

To which I said yes and he threw the lake water all over me with the flick of an oar. Then I learned to start being conservative with my own drinks, lest I piss off my Dad and get nasty lakewater sprayed all over me.

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
Katherine Ciesla said:
jusplainrob said:
Ok, I would agree that it isn't appropriate to give such a small child that kind of beverage.

...On the other hand, was she giving the child a small sip to make him or her stop complaining about being thirsty long enough to get from point A to point B in some pursuit? Or did she just hand the can to the kid and let them go to town? Because there's a big difference. Parents give their kids sips of whatever is handy if they are hot and bothered about it and making a fuss, eventually - and I don't think a sip would be that detrimental to the kid in the long run to bring down the wrath of society.
Bolded that because no matter how much of any given energy drink you ingest it'll not quench your thirst.

OP: Giving energy drinks to a kid, which contain caffeine and a lot of sugar, is not a sign of good parenting. Then again the other day I saw a woman who had her daughter on a leash (tied to a harness, but still WTF?) so I would not be surprised.

Also:
Rawne1980 said:
Curious as to how many people commenting here or the OP himself have kids of your own.

I've seen a lot of threads with people saying what you should or shouldn't give to a kid and only a very small percentage have children of their own.

For instance I have kids and if I want to give one of them an energy drink then I will do, what business is it of yours?
My business is that you're potentially endangering a kid's health for no reason. And no, I do not have children, but I made sure to be a responsible father figure to my three siblings when our dad left.

chase miller

Apr 20, 2010
Matt Oliver said:
chase miller said:
i also agree

any1 under 18 is a minor and believe me I know a ton of minors who drink/used to drink soda with caffine so you might want to rephase that saying kids under the age of 10? shouldn't have caffine.
ok i'll rephrase that. giving caffeine to kids under 8 (i started drinking coffee at 9)
is wrong.

and you spelled caffeine wrong ^^

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
chase miller said:
Matt Oliver said:
chase miller said:
i also agree

ok i'll rephrase that. giving caffeine to kids under 8 (i started drinking coffee at 9)
is wrong.

and you spelled caffeine wrong ^^
I'm not very good at spelling sorry.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Rawne1980 said:

I'm with you. It's real easy to criticize when you have no idea what is going on. Who knows why she gave him the drink? And who are we to judge?

Seriously, there are far worse things a person could do to a child to screw them up. If this is the worst thing she has done, that kid is gonna be fine. Besides, as someone pointed out, I bet she was just giving the child a little to drink from her drink to keep him/her cool and pleasant. There's nothing worse than an unhappy small child in public.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Ravnican said:
Katherine Ciesla said:
jusplainrob said:

Bolded that because no matter how much of any given energy drink you ingest it'll not quench your thirst.

OP: Giving energy drinks to a kid, which contain caffeine and a lot of sugar, is not a sign of good parenting. Then again the other day I saw a woman who had her daughter on a leash (tied to a harness, but still WTF?) so I would not be surprised.
Yeah... less about making the kid not thirsty, more about letting them think they got their way and shut up for 5 minutes.

My father gave me sips of beer. I've seen my friends with their kids (I don't have any, except when I babysit for same friends) and most of those decisions are based on getting through the activity at hand without a tantrum (especially in the toddler phase).

But - again, did she give them a sip or a whole can? Because my stance on a whole can is full agreement with the "wrong" position.