would you say this is wrong

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Haukur Isleifsson said:
How can it be out of context when I quoted your entire post?

The thing is you seemed to display the attitude that it is not any one else's business what you do to your child. I might have been wrong to interpret you that way but surely you can see why it seems that way. The point is that the difference is in quantity not nature. If you are doing something that is detrimental to the health of your child than it IS "our" business.

You might not think it fair that other people, who surely know nothing of raising children having non of their own, want to control the way you raise your child. But you must see that the same principle that makes them interfere with your parenting allows us as a society to save children from negligent/abusive parents. So we must stay firm in our position that it is not your private matter what you do to your child.
Taken out of context because I was referring to an energy drink nothing more, yet you took a step too far.

I agree TO A DEGREE with what people are saying.

However, how I raise my kids is my business and nothing to do with anyone else. As long as i'm not hurting or abusing my children in any way shape or form then it has nothing to do with anyone.

She may have been in the wrong giving a child an energy drink but, as I said, we don't know any more details. If giving a child a drink like that is the worst thing she's done then while she's not in contention for mother of the year she certainly isn't the demon spawn people here are making her out to be.

If a child is in danger then, as a society, we should look to protect it. If the most danger that child faces is a caffiene rush then I think there are greater problems around we could be turning our attention to.

Shakespeario

May 20, 2010
I'm a bit terrified of the "It's my child, it's none of your concern' bent that popped up or the suggestion to wave it away as 'maybe the can actually had something that wasn't a legal drug in it'. The question boils down to was that the right decision: giving redbull to a small child. Obviously not, caffeine is highly addictive and damaging to young children. "It's wasn't that many amphetamines- so don't judge me!" is just as ridiculous an argument. A bad decision can be judge as bad. The parent could've been smarter about this decision. They may also be smart about the rest of their choices concerning their child but this event is enough reason to worry about a child.

I've taught elementary school children (about 15) kids and had them asking for things they shouldn't have- I said no. Incredibly easy. No, you can't have it. That's a lot more complaining than just one. And before anyone argues that's not the same. You're right- the children sleep for the bulk of the time they spend with their parents I had the little monsters when they were awake and full of caffeine and raised by parents that didn't know better.

Rusty pumpkin

Sep 25, 2009
On the basis that red bull is disgusting for me, yeah that's wrong.
Otherwise, when I was a kid I used to burn toothpicks for fun. Can't really say anything against energy drink drinking.

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
Matt Oliver said:
Ocealot said:
yes its wrong. But i dont understand. why would you give a child caffine I mean the longer they're asleep the better.
Caffine makes you more awake not sleepy, sorry to burst your bubble.
Unless they have ADHD, just saying.

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
James Crook said:
foxlovingfreak said:
I think it actually says on the cans of most engery drinks Dont give to small children. I don't rembere which but I know i've seen it before.
You know, I would've said that it's common sense/incredibly obvious to not give an energy drink to a child. But now that you mention it, it's true they actually put a warning on the cans... are people THAT retarded?
And are people retarded to the point they'd NOT follow the incredibly obvious directions on the can?
That woman who sued McDonald's for her coffee being too hot comes to mind.

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
Curious as to how many people commenting here or the OP himself have kids of your own.

I've seen a lot of threads with people saying what you should or shouldn't give to a kid and only a very small percentage have children of their own.

For instance I have kids and if I want to give one of them an energy drink then I will do, what business is it of yours?
I don't claim it to be my decision, as they are your children, but I would at least try to give you facts about consequences, good and bad, so you can make more educated decisions. Whether or not that changes your decision is out of my hands, I just think that the world would be better if more people knew about the consequences of their decisions.

By the way, I am 18, male, and have no kids. I don't know if that changes your opinion of me or my statements.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
fenrizz said:
I agree.

Small children shouldn't drink Red Bull.
Or other energy drinks for that matter.
this

i dont think kids need ANY energy drinks cuz they dont really need 2

lion el jhonson

Jul 2, 2011
okay anyone under the age of 11 or 12 should not drink red bull
too much caffeine can really screw someone up I remember drinking a 5 hour engery shot one time and I couldn't stop shaking for two weeks

my point

stuff like Gatorade:eek:k

redbull: no

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Matt Oliver said:
Ocealot said:
yes its wrong. But i dont understand. why would you give a child caffine I mean the longer they're asleep the better.
Caffine makes you more awake not sleepy, sorry to burst your bubble.
That was his point.

He's saying kids should sleep as much as humanly possible, thus it makes no sense to give them something like Red Bull.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
chase miller said:
i also agree

giving caffeine to a minor is just wrong
please tell me this is supposed to be a joke, or by minor you mean kids without the maturity to handle caffeine? (speakign of which, did you know Caffeine and nicatine are more or less the same substance, nicatine just releases more dopamine than caffeine does.)

OT: Well, a whole can, yeah, that's bad!

Personally I don't see anything wrong with offering a child a sip of an energy drink (like how I don't see anything wrong with a parent offering a 16 y/o a sip of beer/wine/spirits) but a whole can is a bit ludicrous. I mean, I used to drink energy drinks all the time, and would offer sips to my little bro/sis, but I would never give them the whole can... I used to drink them so much that they make me sleepy now because I built up an immunity to everything in them except the Taurine and Niacine.

SmartyShorts

Aug 6, 2011
There is way too much fucking sugar in energy drinks. One of my friends downed an entire can of monster and was bouncing off the walls. If that's what can happen to a teenager, then I wouldn't even think of giving a red bull to a small child.

Crash 9000

Oct 22, 2009
chase miller said:
Matt Oliver said:
chase miller said:
i also agree

giving caffeine to a minor is just wrong
any1 under 18 is a minor and believe me I know a ton of minors who drink/used to drink soda with caffine so you might want to rephase that saying kids under the age of 10? shouldn't have caffine.
ok i'll rephrase that. giving caffeine to kids under 8 (i started drinking coffee at 9)
is wrong.

and you spelled caffeine wrong ^^
You spelt "spelled" wrong ^^

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
I was about to post an agreement, then thought I should check my facts first and googled "caffeine infants".

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=caffeine+infants

There's one link there about limiting intake for pregnant and breastfeeding women and the rest of page 1 is about its use in treating breathing difficulty in premature babies, which is news to me!

"Caffeine toddlers" may be the more informative search.

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/kids-and-caffeine.shtml

However, it can also cause irritability, anxiety, increased heart rate and blood pressure, headaches and insomnia. Caffeine remains in the system for several hours (up to six) and negative effects can be felt throughout this time. In children, it doesn?t take much caffeine to bring on these feelings ? and kids are consuming more caffeine now than ever before. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, soda consumption in kids aged 6-11 doubled from 1978 to 1994. Soda and other energy-boosting soft drinks and candy are often high in calories as well as caffeine, greatly increasing a child?s risk of obesity. Many caffeinated beverages are also heavily sweetened, and this high sugar content can result in tooth decay and cavities.

Caffeine can act as an appetite depressant, so kids who are filling up on soda aren?t getting the nutritional benefits of healthy food or drinks like milk and fruit juice. In fact, the phosphoric acid that carbonates soft drinks inhibits calcium absorption, which can impact bone and teeth development. Since caffeine is a diuretic, drinking high-caffeine beverages increases urination. This could cause dehydration in children, particularly in hot weather, when they?re likely to be outside, active and perspiring.

Canadian guidelines suggest no more than 45 milligrams of caffeine a day for preschoolers.

Coca-Cola (12 ounces) 34 mg (milligrams)
Pepsi (12 ounces) 38 mg
Jolt soft drink (12 ounces) 71 mg
Red Bull (12 ounces) 80 mg
Mountain Dew (12 ounces) 55 mg
Iced tea (12 ounces)

70 mg
Black tea (6 ounces) 70 mg
Green tea (6 ounces) 35 mg
Brewed coffee (5 ounces) 115 mg
Instant coffee (7 ounces) 85 mg
Espresso coffee (2 ounces) 100 mg
Dark chocolate (1 ounce) 20 mg
Milk Chocolate (1 ounce)

10 mg
Cold medication (1 tablet) 30 mg
http://www.toddlerstoday.com/articles/general-health/caffeine-and-toddlers-6180/

"As a general rule, it is best to try to keep your children caffeine-free," says Dr. Maria Kelly, a pediatric professor at the University of Florida. "Keeping your children caffeine-free is an achievable goal. The easiest way to accomplish it is to eliminate all sodas. Try to offer healthier choices like water, milk, flavored waters and 100 percent fruit juice."

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), it has many effects on the body's metabolism, including stimulating the central nervous system. Caffeine can interact with other drugs, so it's especially important for parents to be aware of it if their child is taking any medication. Caffeine negatively impacts the body and there is no nutritive value or need for it in the diet. Additionally, it can act as an appetite suppressant, leading to children not wanting to eat their food, and it has diuretic properties that can contribute to dehydration.

"Caffeine in the diet of your children can cause an upset stomach, headaches, jitteriness, difficulty concentrating and sleeping, and even cause elevated heart rate and blood pressure," Dr. Kelly says. "Consumption of caffeinated beverages has also been shown to increase the risk of future obesity and dental caries/decay. It can even potentially aggravate undiagnosed heart and neurological problems."

The United States does not currently have caffeine consumption guidelines for children. Canada does, and they suggest that preschoolers not get more than 45 milligrams per day, which is about the average for a standard soda or 1.5 ounces of chocolate.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/feeding/child_caffeine.html

The United States hasn't developed guidelines for caffeine intake and kids, but Canadian guidelines recommend that preschoolers get no more than 45 milligrams of caffeine a day. That's equivalent to the average amount of caffeine found in a 12-ounce (355-milliliter) can of soda or four 1.5-ounce (43-gram) milk chocolate bars.

In both kids and adults, too much caffeine can cause:

jitteriness and nervousness
upset stomach
headaches
difficulty concentrating
difficulty sleeping
increased heart rate
increased blood pressure

Especially in young kids, it doesn't take a lot of caffeine to produce these effects.

Other reasons to limit kids' caffeine consumption include:

Okay. I've checked my facts now and yes, I agree!

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I feel that this calls for captain obvious to tell us what we all know.

'Giving Red Bull to a child is a bad idea'

Thank you captain obvious!
-_-
You don't need to be a genius to work that out.