Would you stay in a relationship with someone you loved if there was going to be no sex, garuanteed?

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
well, short answer no.
but if i was feeling particularly vindictive i would stick around and try to convert her to the dark side.
if you have make out sessions then i'd work on getting her so hot she wouldnt be able to help herself.
i also know massage techniques to get the "motor running" as it were.
for the record im not overtly religious but believe in a higher power and the transference of energy, both physical and spiritual.

Kyoufuu

Mar 12, 2009
"No sex, guaranteed" and "No sex until after marriage" aren't the same, but yes to both.

TwitchBlues

Nov 29, 2009
Well, being non-religious and very cynical about marriage, I'd bail under the OPs original terms. In an instance such as that, if I can't try it before I buy it (not being misogynistic or misandric here, more anti-marriage because it is merely a financial arrangement), I'd have nothing to do with it. Of course, I'm also of the thought that I would never commit myself to someone that I've not lived long-termed with anyways.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Everin said:
So, I've been going out with this great girl for a while and we've been spending a lot of time together and all that and we're pretty sure we're in love (i say pretty sure because nothings really taken for granted in my world) and we kiss and all that, but she's Christian and believes that pre-marital sex is sin. Now, I'm not here to complain, I'm completely fine with following her views with that, but I wondered, would other people?
If you were deeply in love with a girl/boy and you wanted to take it a step further but they didn't believe in sex before marriage then would you accept that fact or would you not want to be with them anymore? I guess the question, when it boils down, is:
WOULD YOU BE IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH SOMEONE IF THERE WAS NO SEX UNTIL YOU WERE MARRIED, GARUANTEED?

Edit: I'm fine with waiting until after marriage to sleep together. In fact, I don't think the relationship needs sex, I think it would be a nice something on the side, cause that's not what I'm in it for. That's my answer :)
Marriage isn't on my top 1000 things I want to do in my life, so no.

Even if it was, I still like sex with other people too much to stay with this person without cheating.

But hey, congrats on a situation thats happy for you. Have an awesome wedding, when and if it comes.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Aris Khandr said:
Absolutely. Love is about more than just sex.
/thread for me :)

Admittedly, initially I steered away from this thread, but I gotta say I'm glad I didn't (it kept thinking about it and came back).

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I'm surprised by a lot of these responses. Not all, but quite a few actually.

I just want to go out on a limb here and say that abstinence, saving sex for after marriage, does stem from Christian values (and religious beliefs in general as well), but it doesn't end there. Often it's also discipline, self-respect, etc...

And while sex is craved and desired...after having been in a relationship that was loving as well as er physical and then ending badly (extraneous circumstances, couldn't be helped), I feel the older me (now) definitely is looking less for simple sexual appeal and satisfaction in a future relationship, but really (surprising, even to myself) the personality of the significant other to be of upmost importance. Especially for a long term marriage/relationship...it won't be about sex forever. (but I can understand why some people feel, especially now at a young age, sex is an integral part to a relationship even long term, just saying how my heart and brain seem to be working having aged a few years since I joined the Escapist even haha)

moondude

Apr 15, 2011
Honestly sounds like alot of internet dating. No sex yet you care deeply for the other person. Then again that usually only lasts until they meet irl.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
Seeing as how I'm one of those Christians that believes that pre-martial sex is a sin, yes. I'd have it no other way.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Everin said:
Yeah, she's definetly a devout Christian, she's been raised on those beliefs and customs. I hope she doesn't question my commitment. But like I said above, I don't mind that she's Christian.
Is it all forms of sex she is abstaining from?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I guess my next question would be "Well do you mind if I have sex?" I'm pretty sure that would save me the trouble of dumping her.

Napierdalac

Oct 3, 2010
Be in a relationship without sex?

Hell to the no ! A relationship without sex, is just pointless in my eyes. Might as well be alone then.

Stevanchez

Apr 15, 2009
Wait. Do you mean no sex until marriage? Or no sex ever?

If you're saying wait 'til marriage, that's fine because I'm assuming that's sometime down the road since we're in love. If you mean ever, well forever is a really long time.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I would stay, yes, in the sense that sex is not the be all and end all, and is certainly no replacement for love (not that it isn't a *lot* of fun).

*However* because I do not hold the religious belief that pre-marital sex is a sin, it tends to suggest that other issues might crop up in the relationship because of differing religious standpoints.

Tricky...

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Probably not:
1. I never plan on getting married, so that's going to be a problem as it basically means no sex ever.
2. If the reason she doesn't want to until marriage is because of strong religious beliefs, then that's probably going to be another problem as I'm not big on religion either.

So we're stuck because she's apparently firmly religious and won't budge, and I'm rather against marriage (what's the point aside from really fucking up our lives a whole lot if the relationship fails later?) so I won't budge. It'd probably be best for both of us if we just went our separate ways instead of staying in a relationship that clearly couldn't go anywhere.