Would you want to record your dreams?

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
2fish said:
No all of my dreams are messed up. Last one I remember was that my teeth had fallen apart and mostly out. Since they shattered I had to use a mirror and pull the parts that were still attached. There was blood, pain, and rage in that dream. While some make no sense they all seem to focus on blood, pain, rage, anger, or fear.

I am usually aware that they are dreams and I am watching third person but I still feel everything that other me does.
It may surprise you to learn that dreaming about teeth falling out is remarkably common [http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/teethdreams.pl?method=exact&header=dreamid&search=teethintro]...

I've been discussing the idea of a dream recorder for years... It will be possible someday. As soon as we have the instrumentation to monitor and process raw brain waves, they'll find away to to the same for dreams.

As I tend to have very vivid dreams, sometimes to the point of lucidity [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream]. I'm usually pretty good with dream retention if I continue to think about and discuss my dreams.

It would be most awesome to experience some of my most memorable dreams again, for although some may have been terrifying, they were awe-inspiring to have. I've seen many many apocalypse scenarios including the death of the sun from the earth, fought against an army of invading body snatcher style aliens, evaded war of the worlds style machines, fought in a world war battle ending in nuclear obliteration. I've also had nice dreams, but those aren't necessarilly as interesting.

I can remember clearly now a dream I had years ago about looking up into the sky from the ocean and seeing the most spectacular series of supernovas appearing in the sky.

I've even had those elusive lucid dreams where I've realised I'm dreaming and been able to manipulate the story, people, events, locations of the dream, even manifesting objects to aid me.

I would love dearly to see these things again.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Raven said:
hyperactive snip
What about dreams about being chased by a Godzilla sized cardboard rabbit? I mean that thing was scary. Under its? feet you could see tank tracks and it was spitting fire from its mouth. I also kind of moved with the wind like a tree. The arms? they moved up and down and no matter how fast I ran I could not escape the huge cardboard rabbit.

That shit was terrifying until I woke up.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
2fish said:
Raven said:
hyperactive snip
What about dreams about being chased by a Godzilla sized cardboard rabbit? I mean that thing was scary. Under its? feet you could see tank tracks and it was spitting fire from its mouth. I also kind of moved with the wind like a tree. The arms? they moved up and down and no matter how fast I ran I could not escape the huge cardboard rabbit.

That shit was terrifying until I woke up.
I'm thinking we should probably, like, lay off the crack?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Give me a Red Dward dream recorder. Some of my dreams would be fething brilliant movies.
I used to take notes, and for one dream, I took very thorough notes, because it was such good material.
Hell, just thinking of that reminds me of another dream about a Super-Dreadnought. That was an interesting dream.
My dreams are generally sci-fi in nature.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Raven said:
I'm thinking we should probably, like, lay off the crack?
No studies on that one huh? Darn I may just be as strange as I think I am.

Also it is not crack I just mix uppers and downers thank you very much.

Dayquil+Nyquil=noonquil

soda+ meds= WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Yes! It would be amazing. I'm very subconsciously disturbed and I have awesome dreams but the annoying part is that I can only remember disjointed fractions of each dream and am left trying to fathom exactly why I was on a land submarine killing nazis with a women in tight leather jeans but I know for a fact if I could record that and all my other dreams it would be absolutely amazing and on occasion too horrifying to comprehend...

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Eclpsedragon said:
I've found when I'm trying to write them down after I wake up, they become easier to recall.
I've heard that if you start to record your dreams, you basically send the message to your brain that this is something that is important to remember, so your brain will actively attempt to hold onto dreams, so there may really be something to it.

OP: I would definitely record my dreams, even the boring the ones, I'd probably delete 95% of them and I might not even watch ones if I can remember enough about it and know it was boring but it would be fantastic to be able to get some extra insight from them. I can't really see why someone wouldn't want this, unless you had to share your dreams with other people, that'd get weird quick.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I don't think I would. Dreaming is the tool the brain use to work through what's going through your mind and what you have experienced. I don't think seeing all of that would be good for your mental health.

rist_violin

Aug 23, 2012
I'll wake up, and just know I had an awesome dream, but no clue what it was about.

Oh, this BBC article seems relevant: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11635625

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
rist_violin said:
I'll wake up, and just know I had an awesome dream, but no clue what it was about.

Oh, this BBC article seems relevant: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11635625
An interesting link. We'll have to watch and see what advances are made in the future.

Also, welcome to the Escapist.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I would never want to record my dreams. I don't want there to be a record of exactly how fucked up my subconscious is.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Nope!

My subconscious is one sick puppy and I don't want to be exposed to more of it than I should.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
I actually do, I'm fairly lucid in my dreams so I remember them clearly. I write the best ones down and sometimes write them into stories :D

Better still, we're actually working on the technology to record dreams. Read number 5 here: http://www.cracked.com/article_19978_5-mind-blowing-ways-that-science-has-done-impossible.html
Damn, this is an exciting time we're living in! :D

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
I would love to record my dreams. I have some crazy awesome ones, and a few of them have stuck with me for years. I wouldn't even be too worried about nightmares, since my nightmares are always really stupid, like being chased down the street by a giant can-opener.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
JayElleBee said:
I would love to record my dreams. I have some crazy awesome ones, and a few of them have stuck with me for years. I wouldn't even be too worried about nightmares, since my nightmares are always really stupid, like being chased down the street by a giant can-opener.
You've had the can-opener dream as well?!

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
Lexodus said:
JayElleBee said:
You've had the can-opener dream as well?!
Who hasn't? :D It had eyes and everything.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Not only would I want to record my dreams, I would like the machine to have an option to record how the dreams would have gone had I not awoken.

Would conclude some things. Oh and I want playback to be a full sensory experience, just like the dreams themselves.

My dream group here on the Escapist. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Dreamer-Society]