Would you wear Project:Glass?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
For those who don't know what I'm talking about.

So what do you think? Would you wear it?

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
If they can actually make it react that quickly and have decent battery life, yes. I'm thinking the reality will be a bit more clunky than what's in this video, though. I might wait for the second version.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
The top rated comment made me laugh: 'And of COURSE this **** plays a ukulele' :p

OT: It's a cool idea but I don't know if I'd wear them. I think the icons in my field of vision would start to annoy me after a while

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW!

Urmm I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to things without buttons. I think touch screen & voice activated tech is annoying as it is... I think if someone where to give me one of these HUDs (for lack of a better word) I'd probably cry.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Yep, but probably only if they aren't locked down to one platform, as I really want to do some proper development on them. I'm hoping that the glasses interface with an Android phone (I can't see how else they'd pull this off at a reasonable cost).

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
given I have a thing on my face all the time in the form of glasses, it wouldn't be a big change, just more useful glasses.

Though I am wondering where all the bandwidth comes from to do video calling over a mobile device, that shit isn't cheap

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Part of me thinks this looks pretty neat, part of me wonders why they didn't show the popup or banner ads that will be all over in the commercial, and yet another part of me thinks this is pretty close to Siri level of douchiness and for gods sake dude find the music section on your own you dolt.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
... Perhaps. I gotta see how much it gets hyped up. Also; How can it play Music and allow me to hear other people speaking? I assume the music is from headphones because a stereo system would suck for a thing like that, yet Headphones wouldn't let me hear other people (Not without them and me talking really loud). So how does that bit work?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Nope. Not a chance. First off, Google. Call me paranoid but what happened to respect of privacy? Secondly, I don't want to wear two glasses and even if they morphed it into one I don't want to walk around with a UI.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
... Perhaps. I gotta see how much it gets hyped up. Also; How can it play Music and allow me to hear other people speaking? I assume the music is from headphones because a stereo system would suck for a thing like that, yet Headphones wouldn't let me hear other people (Not without them and me talking really loud). So how does that bit work?
It is possible for a small device like that to stimulate the cochlea without covering up your ears, it takes a slightly altered frequency, but it can be done.

OR, for the sake of keeping it simple, the thing is just hooked up to a pair of button type headphones and you take one or both out as needed.

OT: Like I mentioned in the other thread on this same topic, I would indeed use a wearable interface, just not one with those particular apps, give me one designed to get things done as opposed to the one catered to Mr Indie in the video any day.

P.S. Captcha is asking me to describe a hotel chain with any word I please. Are they begging for negative criticism? Considering how annoying I find captchas in general...

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
It looks ugly, like a failed attempt at some kind of cyborg visor.

I'd prefer a monocle.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Derping in the street trying to squint at icons less than an inch from your eye? No thanks. I can see the benefit of wearble computers, but we're not there yet. Call me when they make make one that projects directly into your eye.

ED: I think one way that this device goes wrong is it tries to provide you with to much detailed information. I can see something like this working if it is combined with an existing device (like a smart phone) and utilises and ambient display to give general messages. Something like the corners of the glasses tinting more and more the fuller you inbox get for example. You can then combine this with some sort of tangential control device (a ring worn on the finger, or a button pinned to a cuff) which will be much less intrusive than voice command which can only serve to embrrass a user and annoy the people around them. Good technology should take the minimal amount of attention to use. This is a big showy device thats only purpose is to say "hey look at me. I'm so down with the latest tech" whether that be for the developer or the buyer.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Hmm I love google and all but i'd rather not attach shit to my head that tracks my daily life and gives data for whoever the fuck wants it. Kind of weird if you ask me, but if they made one that did all the stuff its supposed to do without being tied to big ass company's like google i'd go for it.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I would as long as it didn't turn into a Deues Ex:HR situation, our heads exploding everyone going mental. I don't think technology is this advanced yet, in the 50s they thought we'd have flying cars by now. No doubt I'll get corrected with a shit load of evidence educate me escapist.

Xenowolf

Feb 3, 2012
Do I want a voice-controlled smartphone interface blocking my field of vision all the time? No. And besides, seeing as this is from Google, I wouldn't put it past them to track your movements all day long. Also, what's the point of buying this when you have a smartphone? The novelty wouuld wear off really quickly.