Wouldn't the world be generally much better If the population were like the escapists?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Hoplon said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

Seriously. what made you think that was true?
This.
I haven't even been here that long and in no way would I ever think this.

This place is as awful(or good) as any other forum on the web.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
In order for people to act like escapists you'd need strict mods and an unforgiving banhammer, that's pretty much what sets this apart from other places and why it's so nice. Not to mention a lot of people wouldn't last long, go into any old thread and half the people were permabanned. You can't even talk about piracy or pedophilia on here, and while I'm okay with that on here I wouldn't want real life to be censored like that. Also imagine talking about genders in real life with escapist... the horror...

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
But when everyone's Escapist, noone will be

Still, if you want to live amongst people you were describing then just move to Canada.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
That would be worrying. I'm fairly certain that this only works as smoothly as it does because the mods can permaban people. As much as I trust them, I'm not sure I want them (or anyone really) with the power to permaban people IRL.

Also, would this be a death sentence? or would we be launching people into space?

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
No. The world would be a place full of pessimism and people would be begging others to help them out with their relationship problems. So no, there's also the fact that we have a lot of liberal folks over in the R&P thread. I don't agree with a word a lot of them say. So no. God no.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
No. No it wouldn't.

Sure, folks here are pretty nice to each other by Internet standards, but that's not saying much, is it?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Vault101 said:
Mikeyfell said:
In general I run into way to many um... Trolls I guess is the word.
No offense.

You know the childish pricks that take obvious jokes out of context then attack you for them.
thats not trolling
What is it then?
I mean what ever it's called it sucks.
I was never quite clear on what "Trolling" was supposed to mean. Besides imbedding links to that Rick Astley video...

Way to often my posts will be taken out of context, and it it's not done on purpose I don't know what to think

f every forum I've ever been on the Escapist has the least developed sense of humor.
80% of the population wouldn't understand when a comment was meant as satirical or ironic unless they put a little [/sarcasm] tag next to it.
thats not an escapist thing, thats trying to decipher meaning through text alone..somtimes it seems obvious but its not the same for everyone
It may not be an Escapist thing but I've only ever seen it here.
It's a vicious cycle with this one and my previous point. I used to think I was being too subtle, so I went more extreme but then people just though I was even crazier...It doesn't go well most of the time.

[quote/]Then there are people like me who will fight to the death to defend an opinion that DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER! just because talking about it is fun.
if thats the case then what are you doing on the internet?[/quote]

What? And leave the internet to people like you! [/sarcasm]
Why does any frequent forums if not to have needlessly spirited debates about pointless stuff?
I don't win anything for explaining how much I hate Miranda from Mass Effect 2.
There's not a reason to try and come up with the worst Indy Game idea.
There's no point to theorizing over whether the world would be a better place if everyone were more like the Escapists.
It's just fun, and if the world was full of us nothing would get resolved.

[quote/]And worst of all there are people on this site who genuinely like Miracle of Sound and I don't want to live on the same planet as them...
hahaha.....oh you
[/quote]
Are you one of 'em?
*cocks shotgun* [?][/sarcasm][/?]

and yes, I'm aware I may have just flown right into your trap/eaten your bait but.....I just can't help myself
That's another thing I don't like about the Escapist. Everyone is too quick to think the worst about everyone else. Using words like "bait" and "trap"
and that "Not sure if trolling or stupid" meme
No confidence on the Escapist. For shame.

The world probably wouldn't be worse off it everyone was like an Escapist. Except for those Miracle of Sound people. *Shudders*
Seriously it's like someone found a way to record cancer.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
SpectacularWebHead said:
But in all serious, I'd say that you guys have almost a responsibility to lead others by example. We clearly have a large group of well rounded individuals in a world of morons, And If we tried to practice and preach the stuff we discuss on these forums (Maybe not that stuff about legalising bestiality though...) We Might just make a difference. The escapist community is spread all over the world, there's a lot of places we could potentially change minds in.
I cannot imagine this, sure there are a decent amount of intelligent people here but everyone is way too radical. We'd end up with a Gotham City of a world, a TON of villains except everyone of them thinks they are Batman and must stop all the other criminals because they are so clearly the last salvation of a doomed world...and before you go thinking 'well I'm the real Batman of the group!' No, you're not, there isn't even one, that's the point, I might let you be Clayface if you ask real nicely.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I shared a similar sentiment when I was a lurker (not the world domination part though), but it turned out I was wrong on some fronts once I joined and started participating. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a good idea. If I was in the cabinet I would get panic attacks from heavy news and avoid meeting with people when required. That's...kind of why I'm here in the first place. In a small way, in some parts of it, I do see your point though. As far as the INTERNET goes, yes this is a great place compared to the massive trolling, pedantic robotic super-smarts, and uneducated spouting out anti-english, but that's no grounds to move it outside of this realm.

Captcha: "We're not for everyone. Just the 1% that matters." Uh...relevant? Scary?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mikeyfell said:
What is it then?
I mean what ever it's called it sucks.
I was never quite clear on what "Trolling" was supposed to mean. Besides imbedding links to that Rick Astley video...

Way to often my posts will be taken out of context, and it it's not done on purpose I don't know what to think
if its done on purpose then its trolling...I figured you meant people misundertanding what your saying or not reading closley enough

[quote/]It may not be an Escapist thing but I've only ever seen it here.
It's a vicious cycle with this one and my previous point. I used to think I was being too subtle, so I went more extreme but then people just though I was even crazier...It doesn't go well most of the time. [/quote]
eh..cant say Ive seen it all too often

[quote/]Then there are people [b/]like me[/b] who will fight to the death to defend an opinion that DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER! just because talking about it is fun.
if thats the case then what are you doing on the internet?[/quote]

DERP!!!!

my bad

[quote/]That's another thing I don't like about the Escapist. Everyone is too quick to think the worst about everyone else. Using words like "bait" and "trap"
.[/quote]

well I do tend to fall for thease things...as in give the exact kind of reply that only serves to prove the persons point, and I was 100% sure if your post was some ironic thing...so I was essenally saying "I may look like an idiot here..but to hell with it! I'm replaying seriously anyway!"

Jun 11, 2008
No come back after a few years on here and see if you genuinely think the Escapist is better than anywhere else on the internet. Spoiler all forums are more or less than same and I was always get a good laugh at other forums calling us an elitist cesspool like they are somehow better and the same goes for vice versa. The only difference is the website in the background, amount of moderation and frequency images are posted.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Vault101 said:
Mikeyfell said:
eh..cant say Ive seen it all too often
You wouldn't really see it all that often unless it happened to you.
Catching one of the exchanges in the middle you'll usually only end up with the part of the post that was quoted out of context then have to back track through the thread to find the original post. It's annoying.

[quote/][quote/]That's another thing I don't like about the Escapist. Everyone is too quick to think the worst about everyone else. Using words like "bait" and "trap"
.[/quote]

well I do tend to fall for thease things...as in give the exact kind of reply that only serves to prove the persons point, and I was 100% sure if your post was some ironic thing...so I was essenally saying "I may look like an idiot here..but to hell with it! I'm replaying seriously anyway!"[/quote]

It's all just fun on the internet!
When ever I get into an exchange that's obviously somebody screwing with me I stick around.
It's funny to watch someone's lack of an argument become their argument.
I'd love to watch the Colbert Report with some of them.