WoW 3.1 "Secrets of Ulduar" Goes Live

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
WoW 3.1 "Secrets of Ulduar" Goes Live

Are you ready to face the sanity-crushing power of an Old God? World of Warcraft patch 3.1 goes live today, sending would-be adventures deep into the ancient Titan city of Ulduar.

Don't you love trailers? I love trailers. It's nice to see Blizzard doing some actual in-game cinematics with WoW these days, even if they aren't quite as eye-popping as their famous pre-rendered stuff. And... all right, maybe the voices could be a bit better (really, guys, you couldn't afford to hire top-notch voice actors for this sort of thing) and it's kind of cheesy, but I liked it enough all the same. Oh, Varian Wrynn - you're such a dick. It's kind of awesome.

You know, when you think about it... why don't the major lore figures just get together and raid these places by themselves? They're each practically a 25-man raid on their own, right? Tirion Fordring tanks, Tyrande heals, everyone else kills everything that moves. It'll be much more convenient that way.

Anyway, 3.1! The top billing for the first major content update since Wrath of the Lich King launched in November is, of course, the raid dungeon located deep within the cavernous and ancient Titan city of Ulduar. With 14 bosses - more than any other raid in the game besides Naxxramas - many of which have additional "hard modes," Ulduar is the game's most ambitious raid since, well... ever. Also, it has hard-mode only boss Algalon the Observer, who reportedly "feeds on [our] tears."

Ulduar has a heaping treasure trove of Warcraft lore for those who are interested in that sort of thing. Personally, I'm eager to get in and deliver the smackdown to imprisoned Old God Yogg-Saron - if you remember, we last fought his weakened brother, C'Thun, back in the Temple of Ahn'qiraj in the good old days of Classic WoW.

While the city of Ulduar is the biggest feature in 3.1, it's certainly not the only one. All ground mounts can swim now, meaning you'll never get dismounted because you didn't jump over a stream precisely enough, and presumably you'll get an extra boost in speed while swimming (I'm sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you, I was in Aquatic Form). The prelude to the Argent Tournament in Icecrown Glacier is up and running, and - most importantly - 3.1 finally gives players the expensive but oh-so-convenient feature to have two talent specializations at once.

Yes, you heard me right. After you've paid the one-time fee, you can switch between your two talent specs on the fly. As a Resto Druid who spends most of his time outside of raids not killing anything, this automatically makes 3.1 my most favoritest patch ever.

Now, we just need the servers to come back up. ...and then, the inevitable bugs and crashes that will ensue.

Samman

Mar 19, 2009
Arena Season 5 ends (and titles/mounts are handed out) with this patch as well.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good for those who play WOW. The cinematic was nice to watch anywho.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
How are we sure that C'Thun is Yogg-Sarons brother? I mean... how can we tell what gender these Old God things have? I mean... they look... y'know... kinda... uhm

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Damage nerf on Titans Grip...

*Grabs shotgun* Who's up for a trip to Blizzard HQ?

Edit: I hope they update the faces too like in the video, Jaina looks *ahem* better and Thrall and Garrosh look fierce!

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
This might be a stupid question but has anyone killed Arthas or anything like that? Do people do that in WoW?

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Don't you love trailers? I love trailers. It's nice to see Blizzard doing some actual in-game cinematics with WoW these days, even if they aren't quite as eye-popping as their famous pre-rendered stuff. And... all right, maybe the voices could be a bit better (really, guys, you couldn't afford to hire top-notch voice actors for this sort of thing) and it's kind of cheesy, but I liked it enough all the same. Oh, Varian Wrynn - you're such a dick. It's kind of awesome.

You know, when you think about it... why don't the major lore figures just get together and raid these places by themselves? They're each practically a 25-man raid on their own, right? Tirion Fordring tanks, Tyrande heals, everyone else kills everything that moves. It'll be much more convenient that way.
Varian's a dick and that's about it. Thrall was forced to be a gladiator too, Varian just likes bitching about it.

Oh yeah I thought about it here's the raid setup:

Tanks: Tirion and Cairne(possibly Magni)
Healers: Tyrande, Velen and Fandral staghelm
Melee DPS: Thrall, Variann, Magni if he doesn't have to come in tank gear
Ranged: Sylvanas Rhonin/Jaina (speaking of which one is the better sorceror? I thought in Wc3 after Antonidas's passing Jaina was the new top dog mage.)

Sorry other leaders you didn't make the cut!

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
nice update, shame i dont play anymore, damn you blizzard and your temptations, making me want to start my WoW account back up again...

i always like blizz's trailers, in game or not, both are good

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
heh heh... love this: We have all lost! =tremendous break with explosion= A great deal in this conflict!

Sometimes bad scripts are amusing.

I can't wait until the servers are up for this.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
L.B. Jeffries said:
This might be a stupid question but has anyone killed Arthas or anything like that? Do people do that in WoW?
No, Arthas isn't fightable yet. He'll be the last boss of the expansion.

If Illidan is any indication, we'll be able to kill him, but only with the help of some major lore figures (like how Akama and Maiev helped in the Illidan fight).

stormcaller said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Varian's a dick and that's about it. Thrall was forced to be a gladiator too, Varian just likes bitching about it.

Ranged: Sylvanas Rhonin/Jaina (speaking of which one is the better sorceror? I thought in Wc3 after Antonidas's passing Jaina was the new top dog mage.)

I think Jaina is supposed to be more powerful than Rhonin, but she's too busy with Theramore to run Dalaran. She's also much more awesome.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
Resto druids UNITE!!!

I was desperate to have this patch come out. It would cost me too much to constantly respec as almost every 10 mins i'm asked to heal a heroic. Then again we are getting the lifebloom nerf so it's not all the best

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
My youtube is apparently broken not just on the site.... I don't get sound at all any more, its really annoying...

grundunne

Apr 15, 2009
I gave up WOW a couple months ago and am so glad, now that the double spec is alive I'm fairly sure it would have taken losing my house to stop playing wow. That may not be true even then, I would have probably kept paying blizzard and hid my laptop from being repoed and lived in a gutter near enough a wi-fi hotspot to keep playing like a crack addicted junkie.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rezfon said:
Resto druids UNITE!!!

I was desperate to have this patch come out. It would cost me too much to constantly respec as almost every 10 mins i'm asked to heal a heroic. Then again we are getting the lifebloom nerf so it's not all the best
Lifebloom nerf makes me so very sad. C'mon Blizzard, that was our unique way of healing. We were proactive, not reactive.

Falien

Nov 21, 2008
grundunne said:
I gave up WOW a couple months ago and am so glad, now that the double spec is alive I'm fairly sure it would have taken losing my house to stop playing wow. That may not be true even then, I would have probably kept paying blizzard and hid my laptop from being repoed and lived in a gutter near enough a wi-fi hotspot to keep playing like a crack addicted junkie.
Same story here. Since quitting, I've sometimes looked in the official forums and my only thought seems to be "God, did I get wound up and lose sleep over this?"

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
stormcaller said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

The differance between Varian and Thrall is that while Thrall has met Humans that aren't evil(Taertha, Jaina) Varian has ONLY met the bad side of Orcish society.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Falien said:
grundunne said:
Same story here. Since quitting, I've sometimes looked in the official forums and my only thought seems to be "God, did I get wound up and lose sleep over this?"

Haha, QFT