WoW Adds New Purchasable Mount - Winged Guardian

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
PunkRex said:
Blizzard has digital waiting lists now... by the Dark Lady, WHAT DO THEY DO WITH THAT MUCH MONEY!? I mean what ARE they actually doing.
Challenging Gabe Newell and Scrooge McDuck to a diving contest in pools filled with money.
See related image.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Rednog said:
PunkRex said:
Blizzard has digital waiting lists now... by the Dark Lady, WHAT DO THEY DO WITH THAT MUCH MONEY!? I mean what ARE they actually doing.
Challenging Gabe Newell and Scrooge McDuck to a diving contest in pools filled with money.
See related image.
Psh...no one beats Scrooge McDuck in a divin contest in pools filled with money.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
CM156 said:
Real money for digital items, Blizzard devs are evil geniuses.

Ah well, cue people bitching on the WoW forms, even though this is an optional item, and threating to stop playing. People will still pay for it, and Blizz will be crying all the way to the bank.

EDIT: Hell, I'd pay $25 or more if I could add wings to my Mammoth. They should add that.
"evil geniuses", it's what people have been doing on MMOs and even Facebook games! Blizzard is just following suit.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
So they are switching to microtransactions...while also keeping the monthly fee up. I guess everyone and their grandmother are wishing for a time machine to buy the majority of stocks from Blizzard shortly after they published The Lost Vikings and then keep on making money, fame and more money as the good games roll in.
It would eriously help me out right now to own half of Activision and probably Europe with the money I made from Blizzard. WoW alone probably rakes in the BIP of a small country by now, even though it seems to slowly peak with Cataclysm.

But 25$ for a mount? That's just...way too much. Nobody forces anyone to buy anything, of course. Still, that's a lot of money for a single item with a bit of animation work a team like Blizzard probably threw together in the lunch break.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
GrimSheeper said:
So they are switching to microtransactions...while also keeping the monthly fee up. I guess everyone and their grandmother are wishing for a time machine to buy the majority of stocks from Blizzard shortly after they published The Lost Vikings and then keep on making money, fame and more money as the good games roll in.
It would eriously help me out right now to own half of Activision and probably Europe with the money I made from Blizzard. WoW alone probably rakes in the BIP of a small country by now, even though it seems to slowly peak with Cataclysm.

But 25$ for a mount? That's just...way too much. Nobody forces anyone to buy anything, of course. Still, that's a lot of money for a single item with a bit of animation work a team like Blizzard probably threw together in the lunch break.
No, the MMOs that run off micro transaction sell gear and by extension, the newest content to be patched in. They also sell in game money, experience, and anything else people want. Blizzard sells 2 different mounts at 2 different times and various non-combat pets, also at different times and in several cases with the money going to a charitable foundation (Make-A-Wish if I remember correctly).

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
Activision is quite shameless. Charging 15 bucks a months for updating the game, hosting the servers while in truth they can keep the servers running for years on a single month of fees. Usually companies stick to one business-model. Activision-Blizzard decides to make use of all of them. B2P, Expansions, Cashshop, Premium Services (transfers, race change, etc), Subscription, Mobile Apps and so on. I guess it is good to be nr. 1.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
If only they put as much effort into developing patches as they did in coming up with ways to try to nickel and dime their players, then maybe patch 4.1 wouldn't have sucked so bad.

PinochetIsMyBro

Aug 21, 2010
Ah Blizzard, reminding me again why I quit WoW once the first expansion was announced and never looked back.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Greg Tito said:
I like playing WoW as much as my schedule permits, but I don't think I would ever purchase a downloadable piece of content like this. But c'est la vie.
It's pretty much a link in the dictionary next to the definition of "cash-in" and "ripoff".

The real question is, how is this news? No real discussion being promoted, nothing really relevant, just another item in the store of the MMO giant (not even the first of it's kind) and I don't see Escapist being in the business of marketing such things.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
I knew this was coming, I am waiting for them to have combat mounts that need to have custom armor on them.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
zehydra said:
CM156 said:

Ah well, cue people bitching on the WoW forms, even though this is an optional item, and threating to stop playing. People will still pay for it, and Blizz will be crying all the way to the bank.

EDIT: Hell, I'd pay $25 or more if I could add wings to my Mammoth. They should add that.
"evil geniuses", it's what people have been doing on MMOs and even Facebook games! Blizzard is just following suit.
Sure except that fb games and free mmos that charge money for this kind of shit are free. There is no 60 dollar (plus expansion price) investment. there is no $15 monthly fee. do you see the difference here?

And with every Zynga game you can actually earn real money currency by playing the games. Think about that

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
It's astounding! It's amazing! It's, best of all, free to use with no mods required! Ladies and gentlemen! Celebrate! Dance on the rooftops! For the age of TRL, That Retarded Lion, has arrived!

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
squid5580 said:
zehydra said:
CM156 said:

Sure except that fb games and free mmos that charge money for this kind of shit are free. There is no 60 dollar (plus expansion price) investment. there is no $15 monthly fee. do you see the difference here?

And with every Zynga game you can actually earn real money currency by playing the games. Think about that
Fair enough.

@Zynga comment, REALLY? Did not know that. That's insane.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Panzervaughn said:
its not that theyre 'running out' but i think they have employees manually activating them.

As for prestige, "I have $25" never really seemed like something worth bragging.
I dunno..

Someone needs to post the youtube video of this mount's song, I don't know how to embed videos into posts.

*I have the celestial steed, I didn't buy it, someone traded me it for gold (Not as much as you'd think based on chinese gold prices) - Yeah, they suck.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Panzervaughn said:
its not that theyre 'running out' but i think they have employees manually activating them.

As for prestige, "I have $25" never really seemed like something worth bragging.

However"I was prepared to pug Tempest keep for 2 years straight, but only had do run it for 3 months and now i ride on a blazing phoenix and am better than all'a 'yall" THATS something i take pride in flaunting. =P And once you have an Ashes of Alar, any other flying mount, aside from a Mimi's head, or Onyxian Drake just doesnt really have any impact. =P
Not everyone gets vanity items like mounts for the "prestige" involved.

DoctorPhil said:
And morons are going to buy this shit while african kids die of starvation. This useless cosmetic non-existant thing is going to rake in obscene amounts of money (I mean, it's not like you could give the money to charity right?). Quite funny actually, I'm curious as to how much money this'll make.
Can you honestly say you've never made a totally useless purchase like this? It's not that much different from someone buying a figurine of some sort, or paying extra for something because it "looks nicer" than the other options.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Much, MUCH more interested in the 8 new tamables they announced earlier. I don't often find myself compelled to put out more money than my subscription fee, but I would pay for more pet slots.