WoW: Cataclysm Cinematic Intro Blows Everything Up Forever

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Wait, in the Novel Day of the Dragon, isn't the goblin that made Deathwing's armor? Those things doesn't look like goblin at 0:52.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
The clip confused me it seemed like they were smelting shackles on to Deathwing but then it seemed like they were freeing him then that they were putting armor on him. Eh??

Not too fond on this video - doesn't show a lot of story or new features to the game (besides the world revamping)

Also where the hell IS he being kept that he can destroy barrens with his tail, but fly up from snowy mountains and burn alliance areas to shit?

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
mb16 said:
see this is why I like eve. oh no giant dragon.... launching cruise missiles. *BOOM*

cruise missile > gun > magic > sword/hammer > stick

we also have cooler trailers/intros
I've always found EVE as a concept so much more interesting than EVE, aka "Spreadsheets! The Game," as a game.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I felt it was pretty good considering what we're going into. To be honest though I wish we'd been given a little more reactions from the citizens and leaders instead of just stuff being obliterated. (though the tsunami ready destroy booty bay was pretty kick ass, and the zeppelin crashing in org...well that was bound to happen even without deathwing's help)

-EDIT-
Kukakkau said:
The clip confused me it seemed like they were smelting shackles on to Deathwing but then it seemed like they were freeing him then that they were putting armor on him. Eh??

Not too fond on this video - doesn't show a lot of story or new features to the game (besides the world revamping)

Also where the hell IS he being kept that he can destroy barrens with his tail, but fly up from snowy mountains and burn alliance areas to shit?
Deathwing makes his home in the area known as deepholm which is basically an area that is both part and not part of azeroth.(take this bit of info with caution as I'm not entirely sure atm) He is also the dragon aspect of earth thus giving him immense control over the geological processes. To make a ridiculously long story short thanks to his location and his powers over geologic process he is able to cause lots of damage to the world.

The reason why the cinematic doesn't show lots of story because all the story you need to know going into cataclysm has already been set forth in many of the novels, in game books, quests, comics, etc and I think I've heard tell they're releasing a new book by Christie Golden which will be the official precursor book to set up the immediate events in the expansion.

A good place to start is to poke around WoWwiki if you want the cliff-notes version of things if you're interested in getting a deeper look at the various connections and backgrounds of characters I suggest picking up the novels and hitting up the in-game books.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Awesome, can't wait. Though all the scenes with him having metal armor put on him wouldn't make much sense unless you know the lore.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Kukakkau said:

This is the cinematic intro not the trailer. Also it shows all the story you need to know. Deathwing is free and is pissed.

Also his tail wasn't beating on the Barrens. He is just that powerful. ^^

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
I liked it and all but IMO the Warcraft III videos are still my favorite example of CGI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A20Dcw9Izyo [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A20Dcw9Izyo]​

I mean...the rose petal was enough for me...how he looked at it, reminded him about humanity, then he threw it away...it says a lot more than the fire breathing dragon doing what fire breathing dragons usually do.

But hey...cool trailer nonetheless.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Wasn't Deathwing a bit more subtle the last time he showed up?
Now he's all "Rawr! Deathwing hate! Deathwing destroy!"

Also, what's up with his new human form:
Oh gee, noone will ever guess he's a dragon.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
ciortas1 said:
John Funk said:
Music tends to play a big part for me, and this was just so utterly generic and not Warcraft-y. This is instantly one of the worst Blizzard cinematics for me. Besides the 2 shots of Deathwing flying, he didn't really do anything cool. A fire breath to obliterate shit would've been welcome. Nothing memorable or important was said during the cinematic either, so meh.
Oh man, I thought the music was great - especially the bit at ~1:45 which is essentially that iconic "entering Stormwind" theme, just in a darker, corrupted rearrangement. Which... fits nicely with what's going on. Though I suppose if you're the type who doesn't play Alliance, you wouldn't recognize it, then.

Yes, it's a shame that there's no "You are not prepared!" or "You... will be king" quote, which is why I'm tentatively slotting it below the WotLK cinematic. But visually, it's stunning imo.
What is that noise?

Is that the clings of the Ban Hammer I hear? ;)

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
You didn't see the gnome? I saw the gnome. He was one of the one that Deathwing knocked over!

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
John Funk said:
Truth be told, I don't have a problem with it, except Gnomes still haven't been in a pre-rendered movie.
"------ You must be at least this tall to feature in a pre-rendered cinematic"

DSK-

May 13, 2010
It's not terribly interesting in all honesty. There have been far better cinematics from Blizzard.

Sep 17, 2009
Novskij said:
randomguy425 said:
I think it's meh. Deathing doesn't do a whole lot other than fly around all "HEY GUIZ LEWK AT MEH!"
Deathwing sounds like an attention whore now.
When a giant dragon from the pits of Earth rises to alter the world as you know it I believe it would deserve a tidbit of attention, don't you think?

OT:

I really enjoyed that, but I really miss the "player characters doing cool stuff" thing that they used to do in cinematics.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
He lashes his tail, the earth rumbles. He flaps his wings, tsunamis rise. He rams his head, a continent divides. Boy, you do NOT want to see Deathwing cut the cheese.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Staskala said:
Wasn't Deathwing a bit more subtle the last time he showed up?
Now he's all "Rawr! Deathwing hate! Deathwing destroy!"

Also, what's up with his new human form:
Oh gee, noone will ever guess he's a dragon.
He's not really trying to hide the fact of who he is. He's spent thousands of years doing the whole subversive underminging of the civilizations of the world. Since that's failed every other time now he's just kinda saying "fuck it, burn it all."