WoW: Cataclysm Cinematic Intro Blows Everything Up Forever

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
Speakercone said:
I think we have a new nomination for worst job ever: Dragon Armourer.
I feel bad for all those Twilight Cultists. Specialy the ones that feel off that plat. Horriable tempretures, horriable pay, horriable work-related injurys. I mean man, I'd hate having to make a giant breatplate for some dragon. But hey, they wouldn't be cultists if they wouldn't do that.

Bootbunny

Sep 9, 2009
John Funk said:
Much better than Classic/BC intros, IMO. Not sure if I like it as much as the WotLK one.
/agree

The WotLK one had that amazing sauce voice over of Terenas Menethil where he was talking to Arthas as a kid and it related exactly to what he had become, only in the exact opposite way that his papa had intended. It blew my mind, to say the least.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Lamppenkeyboard said:
This just makes me wish that Blizz was still doing the Warcraft rts games.
yeah me too...

remember recently what went down recently at EA:

http://www.megagames.com/news/ea-louse-reveals-how-management-destroyed-warhammer-and-bioware

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
This is how they keep people addicted. Boring repetitive gameplay most of the time, and then this epic cinematic to make people go "WOW!" and then feel silly for having not been playing it all this time and leveling up. No everyone's ahead of you, and will get to this epic cutscene point, and you're still a level 73! Oh no!
Please, no one start playing again because of this.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Eh, count me among the underwhelmed. Maybe it's because I've never played WoW. I don't recognize the places being destroyed, nor do I recognize the decent-looking dragon destroying said places. Seems to me this trailer will cater more heavily to those who already play. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Really dont know why everyone has a stiffy for the vanilla intro. Yeah, it has all the pc races fighting it out but thats cause thats all vanilla wow was! There was no "big evil" yet, nobody was at level cap so no raid groups. All the game had going for it at the time was the occasional pvp.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
McNinja said:
Damn. That was... pretty awesome. Hopefully my brother buys it so don't have to, but I might start playing WoW again. For a little while. Then I'll get bored and do something else.
That how I started playing in the first place. I thought waste a couple hours with this game... that was 4 years ago.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Those underwhelmed may not have grown up with this game as I did. I've been playing for 5 years on and off.

This was epic.

I got chills seeing the Booty Bay statue get destroyed by a tsunami. The Barrens sinking. The Thousand Needles turning into the Thousand Islands. The dwarven dam slowly destroyed. Darkshore getting lit up.

And to top it off, the Megatron-esque voice of Darkwing with some epic music.

What is there not to like!?

Edit: Also, just checked my e-mail and got one from LOTRO. Harvestmath! After seeing this trailer... Yeah, no thanks.

harv3034

Sep 23, 2010
well... I will definatly agree with your assesment of the situation Mr. Funk.

Azeroth is indeed screwed.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
As someone who's never played WoW but was interested in seeing the trailer anyway, it seemed somewhat underwhelming. Then again, anything too "familiar" with fantasy tends to bring the cynic out of me. Regardless, from a quality perspective, it was certainly well done on about all fronts of cinematography, voice work, and mayhem. Nonetheless, it would never compel me to try picking up WoW just to see Puff Deathwing the Magic Megatron Dragon.
Xanthious said:
ShwimShwam said:
Grafting Adamantium plates onto his skin looks painful :<

Maybe he wouldn't be so angry if he had some morphine..
That would be A LOT of morphine. . . . although speaking as someone who has been on morphine before, it would definately do wonders for his demeanor. I had a leg broken in multiple places and it turned my frown upside down.
I would also tend to agree out of my own experiences, however, there is always the risk of a "bad trip." I can only imagine his reaction then...

"I shall rain...rain... Legos? Legos? WHY IS EVERYTHING COVERED IN FURRY, NEON LEGOS??? Why is a talking spoon shooting rockets? Why is there a dam full of grape jelly?"

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
John Funk said:
randomguy425 said:
I think it's meh. Deathing doesn't do a whole lot other than fly around all "HEY GUIZ LEWK AT MEH!"
ciortas1 said:
This is such utter meh'ness... It's making me sad.

Cool eye candy though.
Whaaaaaaaaaat?

I mean, let's be honest here. We watch their videos for the eye candy (and the awesome cinematography, but that falls under "eye candy"), and this was awesome eye candy.

Much better than Classic/BC intros, IMO. Not sure if I like it as much as the WotLK one.
John, its obvious Blizzard is just throwing out stuff to keep the game going. Not that this isn't an awesome cinematic, but it just feels like more addons. What about the other four Dragon aspects though?

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Purchase another Blizzard expansion (for $40) that contains no game time and requires purchase of ($15/month, $30 card for 2) just to even come BACK to the game to see whether or not it's worth it....

OR...

Paying for a single month ($15) to go back to EVE Online with it's FREE expansions and not worry about any extra costs.

The LEAST Blizzard could have done was added some game time to the expansion, whether it be 30-days or whatever. But no, they don't do much but a few graphical changes on already existing maps, make a few already existing models as playable races (Goblins and Wargen), and added a few same-model dungeons (notice how many of the last expansion's feature skins shared a lot in common with already existing things, such as gear sets, creatures, flora and fauna).

Where's the worth?

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
John Funk said:
Keava said:
John Funk said:
I dare to disagree. I loved the vanilla intro, it was way better in my eyes. It had a dwarf, cleavage, forsaken, cleavage, infernal, cleavage, and of course a bear! Beats a dragon that run into psychotic dentist by far.
So you're saying that you don't like this as much because there aren't any Blood Elf female warriors running around in plate bikinis? Got it. ;)
Isn't that pretty much the only reason males play WoW? ;P

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah, I half-expected my interest in WoW to spark to life again, but alas, it didn't. While visually very impressive, it lacked... Something. There was nothing in there that screamed "you've got to play this". Maybe it was Deathwing's ridiculous chin that I've always found stupid or that I'm over WoW entirely.

We may never know as I've more or less now decided I won't be getting Cataclysm.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Good one! Definitely better than the Vanilla and TBC intros...but still not quite as good as that of WotLK. Funnily enough, I remember being in some doubts over playing that expansion, but when I saw Arthas and that cinematic I was all like "Naw man! Come on! You're gonna see this through to the end at least come on!" Heh...funnily enough it wasn't quite enough retention in the end but...the WotLK cinematic was still one that really did give me that initial push and drive to see what it was all about. That and the initial DK starting zone also really helped in a big way too.

This one? Well...yeah like I'd said, it's probably enough to have me buy one last 2-month card to see what's changed...but to buy the actual expansion for the extra levels and such? Eh...not so sure. Might change after those 2 months but then again...maybe not - depends on wether the gameplay and feel of it all has changed in any way that I'd find meaningful too or if it's just another teensy upgrade the way most previous expansions were. Don't get me wrong, things like having starting zones redone ala the DK starting zone would be awesomesauce, but...I'd need something that sticks with me to the endgame to make me buy the expansion itself in the end so - we'll see.

Still...nice cinematic, yup.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Deathfish15 said:
Purchase another Blizzard expansion (for $40) that contains no game time and requires purchase of ($15/month, $30 card for 2) just to even come BACK to the game to see whether or not it's worth it....

OR...

Paying for a single month ($15) to go back to EVE Online with it's FREE expansions and not worry about any extra costs.

The LEAST Blizzard could have done was added some game time to the expansion, whether it be 30-days or whatever. But no, they don't do much but a few graphical changes on already existing maps, make a few already existing models as playable races (Goblins and Wargen), and added a few same-model dungeons (notice how many of the last expansion's feature skins shared a lot in common with already existing things, such as gear sets, creatures, flora and fauna).

Where's the worth?
Uh, or you pay $15 to check out the entire revamped 1-60 content with improved quest flow/mechanics/graphics? I'm not saying that Cataclysm is OMG BEST XPAC EVER, but A.) they're changing a lot of the old world beyond "a few graphical changes." They're revamping probably over 70% of all of the quests.

And B.) that bit is free without the expansion. If you don't get the xpac, you can't go to 85 and you can't make a Goblin/Worgen.

So, yes actually, it's completely feasible to just reup your subscription for a month and play to see if the changes are worth it.