WoW Player Gets Power, Gets Corrupted, Gets Banned

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'd actually play WoW if I had that shirt. It'd be fucking hilarious.

Walk around killing stuff WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY stronger than you.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Slycne said:
cainx10a said:
Not fair. Blizzard's fault, they should have just removed the item and locked his account for the same amount of time given to his guild mates.
If he had sent something to Blizzard asking about the item I would agree with you, but it doesn't sound like this is the case. It would be like finding a million dollars lying on the street, you don't just start spending it. It's pretty apparent that an accident was made and they did not intend to give him an item that instant kills enemies. I don't buy that he thinks they legitimately gave that to him for a second. He got greedy and wanted to use it, and now he is simply enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. He deserved what he got in my opinion.
If I found a million dollars on the street, I would spend it like there was no tomorrow.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Slycne said:
cainx10a said:
Not fair. Blizzard's fault, they should have just removed the item and locked his account for the same amount of time given to his guild mates.
If he had sent something to Blizzard asking about the item I would agree with you, but it doesn't sound like this is the case. It would be like finding a million dollars lying on the street, you don't just start spending it. It's pretty apparent that an accident was made and they did not intend to give him an item that instant kills enemies. I don't buy that he thinks they legitimately gave that to him for a second. He got greedy and wanted to use it, and now he is simply enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. He deserved what he got in my opinion.
I'm majorly on the fence about this. Both points are valid... maybe he just should have had the rest of his account time revoked, making it so he had to pay again to play after a month-or-so lock. But an outright ban, causing him to have to redo everything is a little harsh.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Man, you get Martin Fury and all you do is kill 4T Leviathan? He should have gone straight for Algalon.
Do the words 1 man HC Ulduar run mean nothing to you?!?

Edit: And now I look like a noob again...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I see it this way:

#1: We are ASSUMING Blizzard didn't send this item intentionally, and then later backpedal on the desician. Honestly I've been a GM on MUDs and such before and while WoW is bigger and fancier, the general principles are amazingly the same. Items like that don't just wind up in the possession of regular players. If the "item replacement" mails were being randomly generated then at least someone had to put that item into the item list. But overall I'd imagine some GM sent it out directly.

Did they want to create exactly this contreversy for yucks? Or maybe they gave the item out deliberatly and then changed their minds, and decided to pwn the guild to cover their mistake.

#2: The reason why I think the item might have been sent intentionally is because you had a guy who lost his account for four months, someone apparently having sold his characters. Blizzard can't track what was lost specifically, but generally speaking if this is a guild that was running right into Ulduar odds are the guy who got this had some pretty big, raiding characters and had apparently been around for a while.

An "I win" item would have simply been a way to get him back up to snuff with gear on the level of what he probably would have had anyway by that point. I guess an alternate method to spawning a set of gear for him without having to specifically interrogate the player about what he wanted, and how he played with his build. Especially seeing as even before double spec most players with potentially diverse characters carried more than one set of gear so they could hearth/respec/be summoned if the need arose.

Some GM might have decided to try this as an idea for reimbursing a player. 100 random loot drops probably isn't an unfair thing for regearing a raiding character and whatever else was on his account. It probably took me that many dead bosses to get the stuff my main character uses.

With the achievements and people losing out on "World Firsts" or "First On Servers" I can see where it became a problem though. The idea perhaps falling through due to bad timing, and blizzard not thinking that someone would save it for the newest instance and run off on an achievement spree for all intents and purposes.

#3: The damage done was minimal, and even if Karatechop is entirely in the wrong here (I am unclear why HE had the item as opposed to the guy it was given to), going after the entire guild is a big much. Plus the worst he and his guild can be accused of is exploiting.

We know the damage was 14 bosses, that's not a big deal. Now if he had done more damage I could see the need to delete the characters involved (at the high end) to restore balance, but banning the players when they aren't hackers or anytbing (and using a blizz created item) is harsh. Plus I don't see why nailing the entire guild was nessicary, unless of course everyone was tied to those instances at some point (spread between the 14 bosses).

-

Any way it goes, this starts with Blizzard screwing up. There are certain long term exploits I think should be bannable offenses (ie things that were clearly not prt of the game). But this was a specific, intentionally created item, given in a context that makes it look like it could have been intended. As far as asking GMs about something like that, ever heard the saying "don't look a gift horse in the mouth?".

>>>----Therumancer--->

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
The Inconvenient Cookie said:
Lets be honest, if you recieve an item that instantly kills everything, the chances are it's not legitemite. I would of repor- CHRIST I'M BORING.
Well, you are a piece of toast, we can't expect too much, now can we? XD

Seriously, though, had I been in his position, I would like to think that I would attempt to contact a mod and inform them of it so nothing happened. ...I'd like to think so, anyway.

.Warheart

May 1, 2009
I would've done the same thing.. really. Give someone a curiosity and not expecting him to use it is like restraining hungry people from eating food.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
They should have erased his achievements or whatever, but they should not ban HIM for THEIR mistake. That's just wrong. Fuck that.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Liverandbacon said:
They should give that guy all of his items and achievements back, except for the shirt. It's not his fault they gave him an insanely awesome item, what was he meant to do with it, pretend he didn't have it?
Exactly, I doubt anyone would NOT use an item that overpowered if they got it for free with no explanation.

Shame though, if he kept it and used it more conservatively, he could have easily owned the PvP servers.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
wordsmith said:
Did he hack the game?
No?
Then he's done nothing wrong. Blizzard have the power to access anyone's account, so why didn't they go onto his account, gift the shirt to a mod account and leave him to it.

If he's a hacker, that's another story. Throw the feckin book at him.
Blizzard has the rights to terminate your account for any reason at any time.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Thing is, you guys need to realize that just because someone hands you something it doesn't mean that there won't be consequences for accepting/using it. Yeah, you say you'd take keys to the company car, but what happens if you wreck it and your boss decides to deny that he gave you the keys (since you weren't supposed to have them)?

You find a million dollars and you choose to spend it... don't you think that at some point somebody is going to show up looking for it?

In this specific situation, I have to say that it's the kid's own fault. Yes, Blizzard are being dicks about their own screwup, but you know what? They have a very long history of reacting just like that to situations! All the more reason the kid should've notified a GM about the situation. Try it once to see if it works? Sure. I'd be dying to know, too. But to go through the bleeding edge instance at the time and kill every boss there?!? That is too much.

People work hard for their achievements, and the guy got two world first achievements, and kitted out his guild with gear they didn't earn to boot. (You can go look at their guild page on wowprogress yourself if you don't believe me.) That's not 'just having fun', regardless of what the person in question might say. That's exploiting. Period.

He most certainly got what he deserved.

EDIT: and before you say "just erase the achievements", I don't believe Blizzard can without rolling back the server, and you know that won't fly. Unless you are a programmer or a db admin you cannot say "it's not that hard" because you have no idea of the work involved. I happen to be a software dev, so even though I don't work on an MMO, I can tell you that, yeah, it probably is that hard...

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
solidstatemind said:
Thing is, you guys need to realize that just because someone hands you something it doesn't mean that there won't be consequences for accepting/using it. Yeah, you say you'd take keys to the company car, but what happens if you wreck it and your boss decides to deny that he gave you the keys (since you weren't supposed to have them)?

You find a million dollars and you choose to spend it... don't you think that at some point somebody is going to show up looking for it?

In this specific situation, I have to say that it's the kid's own fault. Yes, Blizzard are being dicks about their own screwup, but you know what? They have a very long history of reacting just like that to situations! All the more reason the kid should've notified a GM about the situation. Try it once to see if it works? Sure. I'd be dying to know, too. But to go through the bleeding edge instance at the time and kill every boss there?!? That is too much.

People work hard for their achievements, and the guy got two world first achievements, and kitted out his guild with gear they didn't earn to boot. (You can go look at their guild page on wowprogress yourself if you don't believe me.) That's not 'just having fun'. That's exploiting. Period.

He most certainly got what he deserved.

EDIT: and before you say "just erase the achievements", I don't believe Blizzard can without rolling back the server, and you know that won't fly.

Justice is blind.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
What he should have done is find like 8 people make them all an element make them wear different colors and whenever they say their theme song he would come in and be known ASSSSSSSSSS.........................CAPTAIN PLANET WHO WOULD DESTROY ALL EVIL :p

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
i think if i put that much work into a toon id have atleast checkd that it was a legit item before i charged off and used it.

ive never played WoW but i did play EQ 1 for 5 years, and i can tell you that if i loged into EQ one day after having put literaly YEARS into building my toon and see an 'uber' item like that id be talking with a GM before i used, it if only too protect what i HAD earned and worked for.

they might have been stupid/wrong/ignorant for allowing hi to get it, but to my mind he was just as stupid for using it before checking out if it was legit.

if you find $1,000,000 in bag on the street go spend it and see what happens to you, on the other hand turn it in and if no one shows up to claim it than have a ball.

this isnt rocket science here.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I'd just tuck it away in my inventory and look at it to make me feel special. :3

Perhaps try it out on some bunnies, but I'd never have the moxy to use it on anything significant...

santaandy

Sep 26, 2008
Well, now I'll *never* play WoW. Not that I ever would have anyway. That was totally unfair of Blizzard.

MasonT

Apr 30, 2009
santaandy said:
Well, now I'll *never* play WoW. Not that I ever would have anyway. That was totally unfair of Blizzard.
I dont think Blizz cares about fairness anymore. With a massive fanbase getting them heaps of dough, no matter what goes wrong, they don't even need to care...