WTF ?!?!?! "Girlfriend activation system" ?!?!?!

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
You might have seen it at the bottom of some articles on here, is some weird add / click-bait thing that pops up on thee here internets.

As I'm utterly unwilling to click on it, I'm left idly wondering what it is.

The obvious answer being it's some sort of scam to get young single guys to give money in the vain hope of learning how to be attractive to girls ( hint, be yourself + confidence , in my experience knowledge of particle physics & make-up is also useful ). Perhaps it leans into the creepy world of misogynistic "program girls to like you territory"

However this may not be the case, is it actually in fact some sort of system ( perhaps a magic word/dance ) that transforms your girl into a mecha to help fight aliens/monsters ( with tentacles of course!) ?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I have no idea what ad/link you're talking about. Even if you don't want to click it, maybe screencap it next time? (And why is this in R+P?)

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
As to why it's R&P? it likely would've ended up here anyway....

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
*sigh*

Unfortunately, there are still plenty of guys who think this'll work, or that it was a good idea to begin with.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
thaluikhain said:
*sigh*

Unfortunately, there are still plenty of guys who think this'll work, or that it was a good idea to begin with.
Well yeah! who wouldn't want to be able to turn their girl into mecha-Streisand?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Because R+P is the containment/dumping board, right? Basically The Escapist's equivalent of /b/? [sub]Mumble grumble[/sub]

Anyhoo, next time I see that link, I'll click it and report back, for science of course.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Bentusi16 said:
You know, I have to imagine, like a vast majority of adverts, that it's being at least slightly affected by search histories. I myself have never seen adverts like that, most of mine tend to be about food, movies, and millennials, e.g. what they're doing and "7 signs you're about to be unemployed" stuff.
Yeah, it's weird how these algorithms work, for some reason mine seem to think I'm a lot older than I actually am. I'm forever getting "Dating for seniors!" and ads telling me to take my (actually nonexistent) children to Disneyland as they're just the right age, or something. Probably read too much news and not enough social media for their expectations.

OT: Dumb but not surprising, there are more than enough desperate people out there.

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
Bentusi16 said:
You know, I have to imagine, like a vast majority of adverts, that it's being at least slightly affected by search histories. I myself have never seen adverts like that, most of mine tend to be about food, movies, and millennials, e.g. what they're doing and "7 signs you're about to be unemployed" stuff.

THAT BEING SAID, this is an offtopic post, not an R&P one I would think?
7 signs you will become unemployed? Should you be worried?

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Scam, virus unloader, you name it.

More importantly, why this in R&P? I mean unless there's some deep societal implication I'm missing here other than lonely people may do desperate things...

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Bentusi16 said:

THAT BEING SAID, this is an offtopic post, not an R&P one I would think?
I'd agree for the most part. However, I suspect that unlike Facebook which takes a look through your personal search history (I am deluged with chemical company adverts, as I spend a lot of time searching for research drugs), those for the Escapist are more likely to analyse the site. So the Escapist will attract adverts heavily associated with computer games and whatever other stuff the algorithms reckon computer game players like the idea of.

Including, as far as I can tell from the thread title, robot girlfriends girlfriend-pulling techniques.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
As others have said...while it's understandable people are beginning to get confused about what belongs in R&P with the GG stuff being contained here, this is definitely not within our purview of topics.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Lilani said:
As others have said...while it's understandable people are beginning to get confused about what belongs in R&P with the GG stuff being contained here, this is definitely not within our purview of topics.
At the very least can they just finallly put a lock on the offshoot GG threads? They need to go. They have been dead for a few weeks now and they are just simply taking up space.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Dragonbums said:
At the very least can they just finallly put a lock on the offshoot GG threads? They need to go. They have been dead for a few weeks now and they are just simply taking up space.
Eh, if they're dead, they'll drop off the first page and eventually vanish in the bowels of R&P. Personally, I'm more worried about new GG-threads, but dunam at least said he wouldn't create ones. Let's hope the staff can clamp down on any other new ones that might be created. As for this thread? Offtopic (or a lock) sounds about right.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Skeleon said:
Dragonbums said:
Eh, if they're dead, they'll drop off the first page and eventually vanish in the bowels of R&P. Personally, I'm more worried about new GG-threads, but dunam at least said he wouldn't create ones. Let's hope the staff can clamp down on any other new ones that might be created. As for this thread? Offtopic (or a lock) sounds about right.
I would argue they were never alive to begin with. They were just sort of animate, but served no useful purpose. Still, why is this here? This isn't world-provoking or thought-provoking.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Lilani said:
I agree. I'll move it to Off Topic.

If people have problems with the Ads, they can leave a comment with the Tech Team [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team].

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
sky14kemea said:
Lilani said:
I agree. I'll move it to Off Topic.

If people have problems with the Ads, they can leave a comment with the Tech Team [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team].
I don't have a problem with the ads, but some of the "more from the web" ones can be a bit weird, I thought there might be quite a bit of humour in the "girlfriend activation system" one....

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
JoJo said:
Bentusi16 said:
Yeah, it's weird how these algorithms work, for some reason mine seem to think I'm a lot older than I actually am. I'm forever getting "Dating for seniors!" and ads telling me to take my (actually nonexistent) children to Disneyland as they're just the right age, or something. Probably read too much news and not enough social media for their expectations.

OT: Dumb but not surprising, there are more than enough desperate people out there.
Dude, I get an Alzheimer's one, don't complain about it...

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Apparently it's video series by some guy called Christian Hudson. I'm not sure what side of the scale between self-help and manipulation it falls on, but I'm not curious enough to go further than a Google search on this one.