WTF is a Red Piller?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ok so I've been seeing this phrase pop up in the forums in the past few days, and I've no clue what it's trying to describe.

I'm assuming based on the pop culture context, that it's referring to the Matrix, and someone who took the Red Pill, and thus someone who I guess "see's the Truth of the world" ??

I dunno, the context in which it has been used that I've seen, assumes I already know the definition of it, and I've only seen it over the past day or so.

So wtf is the term Red Piller talking about?

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
I believe, though I have not heard the term before, that it refers to someone who frequents and follows the teachings of the subreddit "theRedPill", which is a pick up artist subreddit. They are not well liked.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
A Red Piller is essentially someone who believes that women are actually the privileged group instead of men. The argument I've heard is such: Although women don't inhabit the very highest echelons of power, the vast majority of men don't either. So on the base level, women have it better. People hold doors open for them, they get less severe sentences (and charged less) in court, a woman can get men to give them free things at a club whereas if a man asked for the same from a woman he'd be told to fuck off, women have large and efficient support groups while men don't, etc.

But as Mocmocman said, they're also pickup artists. I haven't seen it myself, but supposedly they have 'calculated' responses and personality traits for you to imitate in order to bag most women. They justify it as saying that changing your personality to something they're looking for is no different from women putting on makeup.

But as I've said, I've never actually visited the place myself, so take this all with a grain of salt.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
A Red Piller is essentially someone who believes that women are actually the privileged group instead of men. The argument I've heard is such: Although women don't inhabit the very highest echelons of power, the vast majority of men don't either. So on the base level, women have it better. People hold doors open for them, they get less severe sentences (and charged less) in court, a woman can get men to give them free things at a club whereas if a man asked for the same from a woman he'd be told to fuck off, women have large and efficient support groups while men don't, etc.

But as Mocmocman said, they're also pickup artists. I haven't seen it myself, but supposedly they have 'calculated' responses and personality traits for you to imitate in order to bag most women. They justify it as saying that changing your personality to something they're looking for is no different from women putting on makeup.

But as I've said, I've never actually visited the place myself, so take this all with a grain of salt.
You pretty much have it down.

It's called redpilling because of that scene in the Matrix. You know that scene, when Morpheus offers Neo the red pill or blue pill, and the blue pill will resume his life in fake mediocrity and the red pill will show him the uncomfortable truth. Red pillers see themselves as having been awakened to the uncomfortable truth that women have it better than men, and so on.

I wouldn't quite say they focus on being pickup artists, though. I'd more say what they do is change a woman in a relationship to bend to their will, because they say that in most relationships it's the man having to bend to the will of the woman.

It's... interesting, to keep my opinion out of the matter.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Well, that's a side of the internet I'm not surprised exists but didn't need to look into. Now I know where to stay clear of.

[sup][sup][sup]Somedays I just want to close the browser and not open ever again...[/sup][/sup][/sup]

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
I first found the term on /pol/ (it's one of the shit 4chan boards) a year or so ago and it pretty much meant someone who "sees the truth of the world". They are interested in world events and generally follow a conservative viewpoint while harboring resentment towards women, blacks, jews etc.. Obviously there are opposing viewpoints everywhere, it's not a complete circlejerk, but as I said, it's an overall shit board.

I know about the red pill subreddit too, but it's more of a PUA/Men's rights circlejerk subreddit, with heavy resentment towards women.

I think it's pathetic. Even if I agreed with some of the things they say I cannot support resentment/bigotry in any way. The real truth for bigots is to realise that resentment is a weakness. Acting on resentment perpetuates almost every single demographic related problem in the world. I don't think it's the biggest reason, but I believe it's a major one.

Most PUAs harbour and act on resentment towards women. While realising their weakness is what makes them struggle to find women, creating a facade and making sex/relationships such a major life goal is ridiculous, and will ultimately make you a small man. A strong (or even normal) person wouldn't ever worry about it.

How's that for a red pill?

MarsAtlas said:
Oh, and, uh, I forgot - they use "Alpha" and "Beta" unironically. That alone should be warning enough.
And they follow this stupidity as well. The "Alpha" and "Beta" statuses within packs of wolves actually don't exist. It definitely doesn't exist in the world of humans either, but if they represented anything, they should represent war generals, commanders and political leaders, not people who have sex with women a lot.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Fishyash said:
And they follow this stupidity as well. The "Alpha" and "Beta" statuses within packs of wolves actually don't exist. It definitely doesn't exist in the world of humans either, but if they represented anything, they should represent war generals, commanders and political leaders, not people who have sex with women a lot.
And even if it was about who got the most sex, a beta male wouldn't be what they think it is.

In nature a beta male is one of those jockeying for the alpha position, and they tend to get second choice of females. What these people are thinking of are omega males.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I thought it was a nod to The Matrix, "someone who has just recently opened up his eyes to a new reality" (i.e. taken a red pill).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
I thought it was a nod to The Matrix, "someone who has just recently opened up his eyes to a new reality" (i.e. taken a red pill).
Apparently it is, but it was being used in context to describe something far different than just "a matrix movie reference". My question was what the other baggage that had been attached to the phrase was, since I wasn't aware of it.

Apparently this is because I've never bothered to visit 4chan, so I guess I'm doing ok, all things considered.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Genocidicles said:
What these people are thinking of are omega males.
And from their number will be born the OMEGA SUPREME!

OT: Adequately described already in the thread. If someone is calling you a Red-Piller, they are most likely referring to the kind of individual MarsAtlas outlines in his post.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Huh. I didn't know about that.

Well I guess there's a class of people I'm going to have to be wary about now, since they sound quite unpleasant.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
From my experience it's mainly used in a rather comical way on 4chan's "Pol" board.

Essentially, in a round-about way, in this context, it means "Somebody who doesn't believe everything the mass media presents".

So, stuff like Ferguson, female privilege, gun advocacy. You know, the kinda thing the media tends to paint as "Evil".

It has a few meanings.

Anyone calling you it, is likely just trying to insult you with it. Some people simply believe that having a differing view makes others inferior.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Happyninja42 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Apparently it is, but it was being used in context to describe something far different than just "a matrix movie reference". My question was what the other baggage that had been attached to the phrase was, since I wasn't aware of it.

Apparently this is because I've never bothered to visit 4chan, so I guess I'm doing ok, all things considered.
Well, they believe they've 'opened their eyes' and 'seen the truth of this world', hence they've taken 'the red pill'. Its another way of dismissing their opponents as well, portraying us as sheeple who gladly swalow the blue pill to keep living the lie.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

Walk away OP....burn the thread! Salt the earth!!!!

*sigh*

[sub/]oh how I weep for the day it has bled over here from reddit[\sub]

Ok aside from what others have said...anyone seen the Disney version of hunchback if notre dame?

They think they're pheobus

They think everyone else are quasi modo

They're actually Frollo

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Vault101 said:

*sigh*

Ok aside from what others have said...anyone seen the Disney version of hunchback if notre dame?

They're actually Frollo
HELLFIRE! DARK FIRE!
-cough!

I don't think that someone who claims to "know the real truth" is worth paying much attention to, to be honest, especially when it's about something as varied and complicated as human personalities. <.<

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Vault101 said:

*sigh*

They're actually Frollo
That's the most evocative analogy for the topic I could imagine. Here: you've earned it.