WTF is wrong with game soundtracks?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Navarone9942 said:
I think some peeps have misunderstood what I was getting at. Metropolis Street Racer (hints in the title) is a Racing game that focuses on making the player feel great since they are winning a race and performing sweet drifts and sweet jumps and other ?sweet? car related things... not a romance game or a Japanese visual novel but a RACING game and after hearing the tracks on Fuse a number of times, don't seem to mesh well into a racing soundtrack.
... are you implying that all the songs in a racing game have to actually be ABOUT racing?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Navarone9942 said:
I imagine that most if not all readers have seen episodes of Zero Punctuation and my point would be comparable to how Yahtzee lists several things out of context in Super Mario Galaxy and more specifically in Psychonauts, a brain harvesting dentist, telekinetic bears and roasted squirrel.
Except he's listing actual features that exist, you're taking lines that you'd see in any kid's show or theme song and saying they're somehow messed up. Come on, if you think about it Sonic games are all about death. What's he doing? He's running really fast through Mobius, ripping all of these robots apart. And what are all these robots and Robotnik himself trying to do throughout every single second of the game? Kill him. They want Sonic dead. Not knocked out, not incapacitated or captured. Stone dead.

ps. Oh yeah as for stuff that does mess people up, I'll leave it with the fact the most people descibed Ted Bundy as a "nice guy" until cops began finding the bodies...
Who is that and what does he have to do with any of this?

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
endtherapture said:
The thing that threw me off about a game's soundtrack was hearing 30 Seconds To Mars at the end of Dragon Age.
I second that. There was a severe lack of neo-classical metal.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Are you kidding me? Almost all the music on my MP3 player is a video game song, remixed or OST.
Video game soundtracks can add greatly to the emotion of the game if done correctly. My personal favorites:

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
I'm not going to post music, it's silly because if you DON'T realize that 2 out of millions is a sign of a problem and you AREN'T a troll and you really believe that those lines are bad there's really just one response.

Your standards are way, way too high.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<youtube=ovkzm8mktUo>

I fail to see how your examples are even remotely screwed up (but then I listen to pop music where that kind of lyric is common). If you want to complain about soundtracks that are screwed up, pick ones that are ACTUALLY screwed up. My example above is a lot more disturbing (if you know the context) than anything you got freaked out by.

leaderproxima

Mar 1, 2012

When i think of good game soundtracks with emotion lately i think of the ending theme to Portal. Still alive, it shows emotion by using an emotionless robot to sing a song.
Its amazingly simple but i cant stop listening to it.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
since everyone's posting music i'm gonna do that same thing! more surprised no one's put this one up yet
my favorite version
OT:Honestly there's much worse stuff out there than that besides music can add a lot to a game
and you do know that you can probably turn the music off in the options most (if not all games) let you do that

Slvrwolfen

Sep 10, 2008
Eh, we don't even need to go into game soundtracks to talk about explicit lyrics or anything. Just look at the last five years of mainstream pop culture music, all the rap and hiphop and r&b with lyrics talking bluntly about sex, sodomy, BDSM, murder, and whatnot. And you can't avoid hearing that stuff anywhere you go that has 'lounge' music.

Okay, so maybe a game like Sonic shouldn't have lyrics like that, but eh, not too many kids listen to the games at all. It's the adult audience that pays more attention to such details.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
DoPo said:
Just like this

However children only see the dolphins there. Or usually at least.
I had to look SOOO hard to actually see those dolphins. What does that say about me?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Since this basically just seems to have turned into a "Favourite video games songs" thread I shall add a couple of my own that I don't think have been added yet.

On a side note, they need to make a sequel to Mirror's Edge.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
What's wrong with video game soundtracks you say? Well, as you've probably already noticed, not all that much, but more to the point, what sort of video game soundtracks are you listening to? In my experience, the VAST, OVERWHELMING majority of video game soundtracks have NO LYRICS WHATSOEVER, and most of those are totally innocent, and a fair few of the ones remaining are totally incomprehensible. Nice sweeping generalization there, but I don't buy it.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Someone has never played Persona 4, L.A. Noire, Portal 2, Final Fantasy 9, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, etc, etc.

You need to work on your trolling, man.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
...yeah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkAE45P8UTk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqqpjx5kPUs

Most racing games have really shitty taste in mainstream music. I could sit here all day listing Megaman tracks.

Lncredible

Mar 23, 2009
It was only a matter of time before the Metal Gear Solid series got a mention:

Here is one of my favourites:

http://youtu.be/o9Pu92St5O0

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
While the video game industry currently faces many different problems, I believe that music is one of the things that our humble industry does absolutely glorious.

You are nitpicking about a few lyrics in an old game that no one really cares about anymore. You should use your time more effeciently, like say, play a game with an amazing soundtrack.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
endtherapture said:
The thing that threw me off about a game's soundtrack was hearing 30 Seconds To Mars at the end of Dragon Age.
TheKasp said:
I read more disturbing poems and fairy tails than this.

What is wrong with you is a better question.
The Wykydtron said:
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the awesomeness.

See, I can make massive sweeping statements based around a couple of examples too!
Bloody hell, the first three posts said everything I wanted to say.
All I can say is: All soundtracks by Martin O'Donnell and Micheal Salvatore, Jeremy Soule, Jesper Kyd, and Inon Zur. I'm not sure... but I think that's more than what you mentioned.
Also: Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid series, Fable, Dragon Age (minus 30 Seconds to Mars. I'm still confused about that...), Bioshock, and Fallout also come to mind for having great music. Not to mention Star Wars games, some of which were composed by Jeremy Soule.
As for my contribution:
I could go on and on.