WTF moments in gaming.

Glover09

Jun 19, 2009
Searched, last one was over a year ago.

Everyone has had at least one moment where WTF has crossed their mind. They're usually points, glitches, or something in the gameplay that is either mind-blowing, amazingly hilarious, or atrociously stupid. What are yours?

Personal Experience:
The Scarecrow sections in Arkham Asylum. The first for the initial shock, and the last for simply warping everything to extremes.

The ending quarter of the Arkham City story. I don't think I said anything other than "WHAT" for three days after the fact.

Warship Gunner 2 has a few REGULAR missions that use a cattle prod on the difficulty. There are some easy bosses, but the first encounter with any of them will usually elicit one WTF, sometimes as you watch you're ship sink. The story, though, is guaranteed at least 15 facepalm moments. There are Bonus missions too, but the dialogue abandons attempting sanity and jumps head first into idiocy. Still fun though.

Sly Cooper 2: Neela. You *****.

Jak 3: Jak is Mar. Wait, what? How? But...What?(Note-My recall was/is iffy.)

Now in GTA: San Andreas, you know from "GO" that Tenpenny is gonna be insufferable, but get to the point when the backstabbing starts, holy smokes.

The flashbacks, then Riku taking the Keyblade away. The final battle sequences and the Heartless bit are noteworthy as well.

"Ansem the Wise", the fissure battles, and the few "Sora-Maleficent" interactions. All stupid, all made me stop to find a solid bit of wall.

Finally, the PSP Star Wars Battlefront games. Battlefront 2 was a good game, but the story only had one moment of twisting the experience, that being the Kamino assault as the Empire. Then we got Renegade Squadron, which was built similarly, and then the WTF moments kind of unfold. Say what you will about Star Wars writing in everything not Episode IV-VI, the way Renegade Squadron weaves in and out of said episodes means that next time you watch them, you remember the mission and respond to it. Elite Squadron is WTF from Go. A lot is not ever mentioned in the movies, a lot does reference events of the movies or even interfere, a lot also goes on AFTER the movies finish, and oh yes, a lot of tie-ins between films, Renegade squadron, and amazingly, The Force unleashed. "I'm General Kota", paused, looked up, massive migraine.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm ninjaing everybody after me and saying Mass Effect 3 ending. Me and my friend just stared at each other for about a minute before I finally broke the awkwardness with a "What the fuck just happened!"

When I played League on a nightly bases I have a tendency to lean back and relax when I roam the jungle, no matter what stage of the game we are in. Happens when I farm too. If I get jumped, which I always do, I will shout "shit" at the top of my lungs and fling myself forward in an attempt to not be killed by a Soraka support. (This did happen and my friends will never let it go) It usually ends with my team shouting "WTF" in all chat and threatening to report me. So not one of mine, but one I have caused.

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
Pretty much everything that happens in Saints Row four, honestly. Just...everything. Fun game but it's all just one "wtf" after another. It's beautiful really.

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
Rome: Total War

I had finally got that message that said I was popular enough amongst the people to make a push for Rome. So I did. 2 turns later I was in control of the city.
At this point, Germania declared war on my faction and captured 3 settlements (I totally missed their 2 big armies massed just outside of my spys spotting range). So I received another message the turn after the 3rd settlement fell - Your popularity with the people has fallen!

A member of the Brutii family then lay siege to Rome that had an army easily capable of crushing the besiegers if I just sallied forth and took the fight to them.

But here's the thing... because of that earlier message I no longer had popular support. so i couldnt attack the besieging army...

Glover09

Jun 19, 2009
I have a few more I've seen, just not experienced.

Kid Icarus: Uprising- Everything after the Medusa fight. Heck, a few things before Medusa.

Yahtzee's "Tribly Quadrilogy"- Nearly every bit of all four games. It's really one after another.

And one more, The Master of the Mutants from the Original Fallout. Seriously, how do you get to that point?

Ryleh

Jul 21, 2013
GTA V has to be dropped in here at some point. I got the point quite early on that Trevor was batshit, but I must admit I was kinda taken back by Mr Raspberry Jam. Even the vomit and public defecation didn't sway me.

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
Balimaar said:

I had finally got that message that said I was popular enough amongst the people to make a push for Rome. So I did. 2 turns later I was in control of the city.
At this point, Germania declared war on my faction and captured 3 settlements (I totally missed their 2 big armies massed just outside of my spys spotting range). So I received another message the turn after the 3rd settlement fell - Your popularity with the people has fallen!

A member of the Brutii family then lay siege to Rome that had an army easily capable of crushing the besiegers if I just sallied forth and took the fight to them.

But here's the thing... because of that earlier message I no longer had popular support. so i couldnt attack the besieging army...
Well....go on...

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Skyrim. I had a bug in one session where every time I killed someone, they wouldn't only not die but another copy of them would spawn, giving me 2 of the guy. Lead to crazy fun when I had about 400 Louis Letrushes all gathered in the road in the middle of no-where.
Borderlands 2. I thought it would be some not-too-serious FPS but then Where Angels Fear to Tread came along and I was so confused. It was not the game I was expecting. In a good way.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
This is in my mind because I was just on another thread.

Playing Civ 2, I had just met the Indians and made peace with Ghandi, and he nuked me out of the blue.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Tom_green_day said:
Skyrim. I had a bug in one session where every time I killed someone, they wouldn't only not die but another copy of them would spawn, giving me 2 of the guy. Lead to crazy fun when I had about 400 Louis Letrushes all gathered in the road in the middle of no-where.
Borderlands 2. I thought it would be some not-too-serious FPS but then Where Angels Fear to Tread came along and I was so confused. It was not the game I was expecting. In a good way.
Angel threw me for a loop, After the first game I seriously believed she was a lonely AI trapped in a satellite forced to watch the world die.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Very recent one here. HUGE SPOILER. BE ADVISED.
Snow White's head at the end of Episode 1.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Every single aspect of every single game in the Fable series since the first has been one WTF after another.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Shocksplicer said:
Every single aspect of every single game in the Fable series since the first has been one WTF after another.
This! A million times this! Fable 3 in particular had me completely floored by the end.

In footnotes: You dethrone your brother and become the king/queen only to realize that the big evil "thing" is coming to destroy your kingdom and you have a limited amount of time to prepare. I was like: Okay, let's do that.

So, afterwards you are given options where you can either honor the deals you had made with your allies or betray them for more money that you can use to stop the evil thingie taking over. This was my first big WTF moment (and warning-sign, in retrospect), as I didn't understand why my character wouldn't just say: "Well, yeah, saving the pretty little lake would be nice and all, but there is an eldritch evil trying to kill us all, so you might want to consider that as a priority, no?". Instead your two choices are "being a goodie-two-shoe and doing what they want" or "being a mustache-twirling villain and screwing them over". Still I chose the good option because I thought I still had a lot of time and the rent-system in the game gave me a steady income.

Then, right after that, time jump to a month later for another choice. Then to the next choice two months later. Then finally a five month jump and then the evil thingie is suddenly invading. This was my second huge WTF moment, as this point the game pretty much openly screwed me over, but I decided to just roll with it for now.

And then, the biggest WTF moment of the entire game (and that says a lot): I battle my way through the besieged city, a segment that took no longer than ten minutes, and then suddenly the protagonist's old mentor is possessed by the evil thingie. I thought "Okay, this must be the typical -mentor dies before the final conflict- moment", so I figured he was just a mid-boss before the final encounter. As such I just spammed cheap attacks to save the tons of potions in my backpack and beaten the guy in the span of thirty seconds...
And then I got a dramatic cutscene and then showing the aftermath of the battle.

Again, just to reiterate: I beat the final boss of the game in thirty seconds thinking he was a mid-boss, and then the game told me that I am the nicest king ever, too bad half my kingdom died because I didn't save up enough money.
That was the point when I took the disk out of my drive. And then burned it. Slowly.

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
Jiveturkey124 said:
Balimaar said:

Well....go on...
that was more or less it. because I couldnt attack the besieging army I couldnt lift the siege. and because I could not lift the siege the Brutii captured Rome and won the game.

I captured Rome myself because I saw the Brutii army coming and they had triggered the Roman split

Ix Rebound

Jan 10, 2012
Glover09 said:
Jak 3: Jak is Mar. Wait, what? How? But...What?(Note-My recall was/is iffy.)
That was my experience as well
Except plus the fact that I had neither played or seen played the previous games before it

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
In Dragon's Dogma I hadn't formed really any close relationships with any available LIs and so I wound up with a shop keeper as my man in distress and I go, " Who the **** are you?"

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Dragon Quest VIII's Puff Puff

What Happens with Nanami in Rockaxe (Suikoden II)

In Skyrim, I installed a mod called "Deadlier Traps" and the first dungeon where you get the Dragonstone, I go through to the word wall, and a Draugr Warlord wakes up, well being a squishy archer I ran back to a previous room kiting him behind me, there's a small bridge and on both sides are pools of oil with a lamp hanging above them so I camp on the other side of the bridge, arrow nocked waiting to shoot the lamps down and burn him. Instead he stops just shy of the oil, does a Fus Ro Dah shout and both lamps fly forward hitting me in the face, and I die engulfed in fire in a matter of seconds... Obviously this plan backfired... WTF!

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
This was from a few years ago, but I was playing Men of War: Red Tide when this enemy Tiger tank got stuck trying to drive past a building. After a few minutes of trying to drive through it... it climbed up it, flew up into the air, and then landed back down safely just like a cat. :p

After I regained my senses from what happened I had my only remaining guy lightly damage the tank, and had him kill the crew one by one as they tried to repair the tank. Then I proceeded to commandeer this agile behemoth and rampaged through the city.