X-Men - Apocalypse - It's the End of the World as We Know It

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
X-Men - Apocalypse - It's the End of the World as We Know It

X-Men: Apocalypse is the worst X-Men film in a while, and it's not even close.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
You will pay in blood for getting REM stuck back in the brain, heed my words!!
It's a shame to see the final movie lack bite. I enjoyed the last two. Perhaps this is a symptom of being forced by FOX to do "the hero trilogy" which they seem determined to carry out. But then...how many times do we have to be threatened with the apocalypse? Are they desensitising us to the real thing so we can continue consuming and consuming and consuming until we guzzle and squander everything that's left, everything but the vast hordes of money?? Argh, i just spiralled in my head! Need a drinkie to kill it dead.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I already watched it and it isn't as bad per say well terribly bad.

The Strider part did felt like complete fillers. I mean seriously you can't be arse to snatched the entire mutant students???

Also yeah that disaster CGI scene was crap thought.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
We can only hope Marvel will pull a SpiderMan on them and just offer to take the whole stale franchise and finally do a good version of it.
MovieBob said it best in his review. Looking back, the Xmen movies as a whole are really bad. Xmen 1 has a few good scenes, Xmen 2 is watchable, and First Class is good.
Every single other movie shouldn't exist.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I agree this movie is the weakest of the trilogy. It's really not all bad. Then again, I don't expect comic book movies to be great or critically acclaimed. It's nice when a comic book movie does break through and be great. My expectations from these movies is to be entertained by special effects and action scenes. X-Men Apocalypse does have a weak story and so-so special effects. My biggest complaint was the movie was too backward looking. Seriously, they had multiple scenes that features moments from the last 2 movies. I was also disappointed that Oscar Isaac wasn't able to do much with his character. He was basically a monotone character with an one-track mind.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Man, and this review doesn't even touch upon some of the worst bits of the movie. Godawful acting from both the main cast and supporting actors that seems to have been plucked straight from the street, baffling editing decisions and tonality that is all over the place.

It was so bad, I was glad I'm not invested in the X-Men as such. A friend of mine I went to see it with was very sad about it but it was unintentional comedy. The crowning jewel? That bit with Wolverine. Oh my God my sides.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I never really understood what made First Class such a stand out beyond 'they have colourful suits now'. That movie had horridly flat cinematogrophy, the worst CGI in the series, lame mutants, and a German speaking Kevin Bacon talking about chocolates that I WASN'T supposed to laugh at.

As for Apocalypse, that movie's writing was on the wall the minute the titular character got revealed. Poor Oscar Isaac.

EricMcArthur

Mar 20, 2016
We are going to need to see these big, bloated superhero movies re-invented before long, and I'm not talking in the Deadpool or Guardians of the Galaxy sort of way. Feels like a VERY long time since The Dark Knight did exactly what I'm talking about. Or the original Matrix. We can't settle for this stuff.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well, I WAS geared up to see this next weekend (going to Fanime in San Jose for this one), but now I'm not so sure.
Silentpony said:
We can only hope Marvel will pull a SpiderMan on them and just offer to take the whole stale franchise and finally do a good version of it.
MovieBob said it best in his review. Looking back, the Xmen movies as a whole are really bad. Xmen 1 has a few good scenes, Xmen 2 is watchable, and First Class is good.
He didn't go super-entitled fanboy in his review, did he? Man, he gets so whiney when he does that.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Well, I WAS geared up to see this next weekend (going to Fanime in San Jose for this one), but now I'm not so sure.
Silentpony said:
He didn't go super-entitled fanboy in his review, did he? Man, he gets so whiney when he does that.
Not really. he said that the X-Films pre-First Class don't hold up (parts of them do) and that he was too kind to DoFP (for the people remembering that he enjoyed the film overall), but he didn't reach the levels of Fant4stic, DoJ or ASM2.

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
"He has an immeasurable, indescribable, and not terribly well defined amount of powers, because how else would he pose a threat?"

To be fair, at least that?s quite the same, as in the comics.His powers have always been quite nebulous but very, very super duper.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
This film deserves that star score ... lets just put an elephant sized pin in the fact that apocalypse looks like it cost ?2.50 to make his suit.

Half the film is that stupid "sand moving CGI" thing, psylocke goes out in a whimper, angel breaks physics, apocalypse can only grow in size in his mind and the plot you can accurately guess before seeing the film, you can even guess all the clich? moments

does megneto have an argument with prof X about being good? Yep. Does magneto eventually do good? Yep. Does storm turn against apocalypse? Yep. Do they have quick sliver do that slow mo thing? Yep. Does quick silver not tell magneto he is his dad? Yep! Do they beat apocalypse? Of course.

You don't have to see this movie to see this movie 'cos you've seen it 10 times. It is a rom com, it's so formulaic that watching it is a waste of time.

Apr 5, 2008
I thought this movie was very good. Not sure where the negativity is coming from. The villain was cool and the actor playing him did a great job. Jean Grey and Quicksilver were standout, great to watch and I liked the introduction of other XMen.

The end battle scene was a bit poo and OTT on special effects but it's otherwise a good film. I think Fox have done a largely great job with the franchise and don't agree that XMen are needed in the MCU. Considering the way movie rights work, why not suggest DC let Superman and Batman into the MCU? Not all XMen movies have been great, neither recent Superman movie was even watchable and MCU is flagging a little too. Can't have them all hits. BUt I think Apocalypse was good.

The real question is what happens now. We had the original trilogy, we have one more before a Wolverine solo trilogy and now the First Class trilogy is done. More movies with the newer XMen? Should they recast/reboot? Same question applies to MCU now...Iron Man and Captain America only have Avengers 3 (split into two parts) and they're done. Thor has one more solo movie and Avengers 3 and he's done. Will the characters be killed? recast? Retired? Paid gazillions?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
While I agree that the X-Men films have a questionable record (of all the ones I've seen, the only one I'd actually call "good" is First Class), I'm not keen on them being auctioned off back to Marvel. In that:

a) I'm not sure how the X-Men would fit into the MCU. The idea of mutants seems a thing in of itself, it feels redundant when everyone and their grandma either has superpowers, or the technology equivalent of superpowers.

b) More competition means, in theory, the drive for better films.

c) For me, the X-Men films have one good film. That isn't much, except for me, the MCU has two good films. The MCU has produced overall better films than Fox's X-Men IMO, but I can't say I'm really that enamored with any of them.

d) Turning them over would mean another reboot. Please...no...more...reboots. :(

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
I sort of dropped out of the whole X-men thing as it is my point of view that following more than one 'hero' franchise/universe WILL make shit seem stale before long.

Besides, the WB and FOX owned properties strike me as run by people who aren't very passionate about their projects. Marvels movies do not always hit a homerun, but they always strike me as being respectful of their property and driven to tell an epic narrative.

It's a pity, because 'House of M' could have been freakin' awesome, but it is a story that won't ever be told. And I still weep for Victor Von Doom.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I didn't think it was that bad, but it certainly wasn't good.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the effects were horrid. That scene with Psylocke and Angel wouldn't have looked out of place on a CW show.

And holy shit, are their costumes either ugly as fuck or bland as hell.

But I disagree with you on the Quicksilver scene, I really enjoyed it. But then I also really like his character.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Cowabungaa said:
Man, and this review doesn't even touch upon some of the worst bits of the movie. Godawful acting from both the main cast and supporting actors that seems to have been plucked straight from the street, baffling editing decisions and tonality that is all over the place.

It was so bad, I was glad I'm not invested in the X-Men as such. A friend of mine I went to see it with was very sad about it but it was unintentional comedy. The crowning jewel? That bit with Wolverine. Oh my God my sides.
I watched Mr. Sunday Movie's Wolverine Kill Count video, and holy shit, how have his action scenes gotten worse? Even his claws look barely better than Origins'. My sisters were outright laughing after he ran out into the snow, he looked ridiculous.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I'm still mad about the Finnish translation of 'X-Men' to 'X-Meneja' (for those who don't know: an utterly broken double plural, also it's supposed to be an ?). I send the distridutor an e-mail about it and they said it was done on purpose in order to not confuse the audience. Aagh, the world is truly ending.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Hawki said:
Silentpony said:
While I agree that the X-Men films have a questionable record (of all the ones I've seen, the only one I'd actually call "good" is First Class), I'm not keen on them being auctioned off back to Marvel. In that:

a) I'm not sure how the X-Men would fit into the MCU. The idea of mutants seems a thing in of itself, it feels redundant when everyone and their grandma either has superpowers, or the technology equivalent of superpowers.

b) More competition means, in theory, the drive for better films.

c) For me, the X-Men films have one good film. That isn't much, except for me, the MCU has two good films. The MCU has produced overall better films than Fox's X-Men IMO, but I can't say I'm really that enamored with any of them.

d) Turning them over would mean another reboot. Please...no...more...reboots. :(
Totally agree on First Class. I never understood why people like Ian McKellen as an old and frail Magneto. I also think the movies did way too much destruction of the source material to be very enjoyable for me. I want Marvel to get X-Men back though.

a) It doesn't really have to. I know everyone is loving the MCU thing they are doing with Avengers and all but that is kind of what Avengers is. Plus, you know, Infinite Gauntlet. X-Men can actually be detached from all the Avengers stuff and still be under the umbrella flag and still remain true to the spirit of its comic. There should be no pressure to even bring them into the Infinite Gauntlet because they were background filler at best there anyways.

b) I don't think this theory is proving itself enough for this to be credited. Marvel is using the source material as inspiration and DC is "trying not to be Marvel". While Fox is butchering Fantastic 4 and Xmen. Brian Singer even told the actors in the first movies not to read the comics because he didn't want the source material to 'interfere' with their performance. Seems Marvel is the only one who knows what the fans want... To see the stories we know and love that sold comics for decades on the big screen. No one is competing for that.

c) MCU has produced 11 good films to me. They have really only missed with Thor 2 and Ant Man for me. Kinda Deadpool too, they did a good job, but I am not a big Deadpool fan. Of all the other comic movies I own Batman Begins, Dark Knight, First Class, and Man of Steel. Marvel is batting extremely high right now and Xmen was a favorite growing up and would like to see them have it so fox will quit butchering it.

d) Reboots don't bother me if they are good. Actually, a good reboot gets me excited.

But I am an old Marvel Fanboy so have a grain of salt to go with my opinion. :)

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
I think the point with this movie and especially the cast is that they've been too hell bent on trying to cast "hot young actors" to actually cast the right people for the right job.
This has been a thing previously but some actors are cringeworthy either because they're too recognizable as their debut persona or just because they seem to fail to act out of their debut roles.

Both go for Sansa Turner ehhhh I mean Sophie Stark, she just sticks out like a sore thumb and is definitely nothing near what I expect in an on screen version of that character.