X-Men Apocalypse Trailer Gives Us An All Evil Team, And a Bald James McAvoy

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I'm still not a fan of Oscar Isaac in this role (though I am a fan of him in just about every other thing he's done).

He's not physically imposing enough (yes...I know Apocalypse can alter his size). And I always felt the voice of Apocalypse should have a deep, cultured tone (like Ian McKellan's or Tom Baker's, for instance).

But from what I hear in the trailer, it seems like Isaac is playing him with a quiet sense of menace. And I kind of get it.

After all, when you're the God-like first mutant, you don't need to scream and shout and carry on. You're not interested in "convincing" others. You do what you do and others will either fall in behind you...or suffer the consequences.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Blue and orange.. blue and orange everywhere.Remember when the walls of the x-men basement where light gray?. I miss the color green :(

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Was initially excited when I saw the stinger at the end of DoFP. But now, after the reject Power Ranger look, and this 'improved look'... This looks sad know. I mean, Apocalypse is a gargantuan entity of power who inspired fear in mutants by sight, but this... stand-in looks like he forgot about four feet in height and hasn't eaten several elephants yet. There is no real sense of power from the mutant they call Apocalypse. And something I can't quite wrap my head around. He is a new threat, but they suddenly have lore on the guy, what did they remember libraries exist or something?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Fox can't do it. They almost had 3 good flicks with X-Men and X2 but X3 blew up. Then First Class and DoFP came and yay good X-Men flicks again but this? This is going to be X3 all over again. Fuck. I don't even bother counting the Wolverine movies, they've been awful to mediocre at best... at least Deadpool looks like its doing the right thing the right way for the right reasons... unless they decide to make it a DP trilogy.

Mar 26, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Tono Makt said:
Maybe they've decided to make him more of a Hitler figure than a Satan figure - in that when you actually listen to Hitler's voice, it doesn't sound all that menacing - at first. It's not until you start to hear what he's saying AND see how the people listening are reacting that you go "Wait... yeah, I can see how this guy was so dangerous now." And it takes listening to a few full minutes, complete with seeing the reactions in the crowd (which I'll admit is a bit suspect, since most video of him speaking that is still around is spliced with a more modern sensibility.) to actually understand the impact. So maybe that's what this Apocalypse is doing as well - the voice alone doesn't do much, but when you hear what he's actually saying and you see how people are reacting, you go "Shit, this guy IS dangerous!".

Or maybe I'm just trying to rationalize what looks to be a terrible directoral choice all around for the Apocalypse character.
Magneto already fills that spot of the Hitler type figure though, right?

Now I'm only familiar with the Apocalypse from the 90's cartoon, but this guy to me always seemed too old and powerful to try and sway others with speeches. He simply forces his will on others, because he's godlike. I'd compare him to Sovereign from Mass Effect 1, where just hearing him speak instantly fills you with a sense of impending doom. Seriously, the Sovereign voice would've perked this Oscar Isaac Apocalypse right up, despite the corny outfit.
The Sovereign comparison I think is a brilliant one. When it comes to adversaries in the Marvel universe Apocalypse is top tier. When he speaks you should feel it in your gut. You should dread ever having to hear that voice and hope that you never come within sight of him. He speaks with authority and power and I just don't think Oscar Isaac can convey that. No slight on him as an actor, it's just he seems miscast.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
Hey, Christianity is filled with stories about a mutant who can remotely control the chemical makeup of liquids, mentally control the surface tension of water, can heal illnesses with a touch, has either increased super human healing or the ability to resurrect himself and other people

not to mention god is/was kind of a quote unquote "massive dick"

I'd say it's pretty accurate
That's not how mutants or quotes work...