X-Men: Days of Future Past Reveals New Characters and Costumes

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
X-Men: Days of Future Past Reveals New Characters and Costumes

X-Men: Days of Future Past's Quicksilver and Sentinels are prominently displayed on covers for this month's Empire magazine.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129120-X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past-Trailer-Crosses-Generations>X-Men: Days of Future Past is shaping up to be the biggest X-Men movie of the franchise, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121757-Days-of-Future-Past-Connects-All-Previous-X-Men-Films>for better or for worse. This means it will not only unite the original and First Class casts, but introduce new characters to the film universe, including Bolivar Trask and Magneto's son Quicksilver. Now we're finally getting our first look at everyone in their new costumes, all revealed via a series of covers for Empire Magazine.

Empire is unveiling a total of 25 costumes throughout the day, but so far there are 9 to sink our teeth into. Outside of a good look at the Sentinels and young Magneto's new costume, Quicksilver is prominently displayed for the first time in goggles, a utility belt, and leather jacket. Speaking of goggles, Toad's binocular appendage is a noticeable change from his last appearance, while Stryker, Mystique, Beast, and Peter Dinklage's Bolivar Trask round off the collection.

Personally, I'm not sold on a lot of the new looks, except for Michael Fassbender's fantastic Magneto costume. In particular, the Sentinel design isn't especially threatening, and Quicksilver doesn't seem to have much personality beyond his leather jacket. That being said, the bigger concern is whether all these actors and personalities will mesh their performances across two timelines, which would make any costume concerns a moot point.

More covers should be posted later today, but in the meantime, what do you think of the new characters and costumes?

[gallery=2045]

Source: Empire online, via <a href=http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50539>Comic Book Resources

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
These are, for the most part, merely street clothes with some gadgets or accessories like goggles. One is a uniform. In fact, Magneto wears the only costume so far...which consists of a chest plate and helmet.

Other than the one who looks like somebody shrunk Ron Burgundy, they're not particularly imaginative.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
I really don't know what they're thinking with this movie. First Class was the best thing to happen to this franchise. Not only was it better than the first two X-Men movies (which, while not terrible were kinda... ehh, for the most part), but it also ret-conned X-Men 3 and Origins: Wolverine out of existence. First Class also had the smallest amount of Wolverine in it of the whole series, which I am positive directly correlated to its much higher quality as a movie. Someone needs to make a graph for that.

They had a fresh base to start from, new actors, new potential... and the next thing they do is try to link it up to the older, worse movies, and toss Wolverine into the mix? I think it's going to be a disaster, personally. It's like they don't know what the hell to do with the First Class universe so whoever's in charge was like "We need more Wolverine. And not just any Wolverine, the same one that was in all the bad movies."

Well... at least we'll get more of young-Magneto. He was the best part of First Class.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
EDIT: EMPIRE HAS POSTED ALL 25 COVERS ON THEIR WEBSITE. CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO SEE THE REST OF THE CAST.

http://www.empireonline.com/xmen/default.asp

Posted on 01/28/2014: Finally got a chance to see the remaining covers. It's a nice line-up of new mutant characters like Blink, Warpath, Bishop, and Sunspot, The question is will any of them be getting a fair amount of screen time? All we know is that Anna Paquin's Rogue has been edited out due to her limited screen time.

But at least she got an Empire cover of her own!

Yeah. That's a nice consolation prize. -_-

Also, we get a look at a future Sentinel. Which looks like Gort from The Day The Earth Stood Still remake but made from roofing shingles and painted black. The Dyson Vacuum version of Sentinel looks much more eye catching IMO. Overall, the previews have yet to get me excited for this new installment. Unless a new trailer can prove otherwise, X-Men: Days of Future Past might end up on my pass list.

Originally posted on 01/27/2014: A nice collection but the outfits aren't really pushing my buttons. Feels rather "meh" for the most part. The only thing peaking my interests is the Sentinel and nothing else. I'm hoping there will be something more coming down the pipe to get us invested in X-Men: Days of Future Past. Otherwise, I might have to pass on this one.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
rcs619 said:
I really don't know what they're thinking with this movie. First Class was the best thing to happen to this franchise. Not only was it better than the first two X-Men movies (which, while not terrible were kinda... ehh, for the most part), but it also ret-conned X-Men 3 and Origins: Wolverine out of existence. First Class also had the smallest amount of Wolverine in it of the whole series, which I am positive directly correlated to its much higher quality as a movie. Someone needs to make a graph for that.

They had a fresh base to start from, new actors, new potential... and the next thing they do is try to link it up to the older, worse movies, and toss Wolverine into the mix? I think it's going to be a disaster, personally. It's like they don't know what the hell to do with the First Class universe so whoever's in charge was like "We need more Wolverine. And not just any Wolverine, the same one that was in all the bad movies."

Well... at least we'll get more of young-Magneto. He was the best part of First Class.
I REALLY enjoyed The Wolverine because it separated him from all the other X-men and kept the mutants to a bare minimum, making him stand out more and giving him time for an actual character arc.

And First Class benefited from not having him steal the spotlight. As a result, Magneto and the others came across as more badass.

This movie is looking to be an epic mess that I'm sure will make money and will divide the fans. There are just WAY too many X-men in the movie to spend any meaningful time developing any of them whatsoever. If they gave every character just 1 minute of screentime to develop, the movie would practically be half-over, and that excludes all action scenes. You just can't make a great movie with such a large cast, and it only worked for Avengers because they spent entire feature films developing the characters first and then getting straight to the heart of things in Avengers.

They're all cameos, basically. They cut Rogue from the film with no problems, despite her being the EMOTIONAL CORE of the original films.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
I like the look of the Sentinal. Everyone else is rather ho-hum.

rcs619 said:
I agree with that part, but not much of the rest. Yes, X-Men 1 was fairly forgettable, but it was one of the frst in the new wave of superhero movies, so I'll let it slide. I saw X2 about 10 months ago, and was really, really impressed by it. That was a great movie.

So this could go either way, I think. I'm hopeful.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Trishbot said:
rcs619 said:

I REALLY enjoyed The Wolverine because it separated him from all the other X-men and kept the mutants to a bare minimum, making him stand out more and giving him time for an actual character arc.

And First Class benefited from not having him steal the spotlight. As a result, Magneto and the others came across as more badass.

This movie is looking to be an epic mess that I'm sure will make money and will divide the fans. There are just WAY too many X-men in the movie to spend any meaningful time developing any of them whatsoever. If they gave every character just 1 minute of screentime to develop, the movie would practically be half-over, and that excludes all action scenes. You just can't make a great movie with such a large cast, and it only worked for Avengers because they spent entire feature films developing the characters first and then getting straight to the heart of things in Avengers.

They're all cameos, basically. They cut Rogue from the film with no problems, despite her being the EMOTIONAL CORE of the original films.
Pretty much. I think it's going to be the same sort of mess X-men 3 was for basically the same reasons. Instead of taking a small slice of the X-men universe and telling a story about that, they're trying to tell a story involving the X-men universe in general, and that just never works for exactly the reasons you describe. I mean, look at First Class. It's a globe-spanning Cold War adventure... but at its core, it's still basically just about the conflict between two small groups of mutants. And even then, there is barely enough time to develop anyone besides Magneto, Xavier, Beast and Mystique. Did the guy who shoots tornadoes out of his hands even get a single line?

Also, yeah, I'm not fond of Wolverine, but in situations like in 'The Wolverine' he can work. The problem is, when you bring him into a bigger conflict, he's an immortal, unkillable blender than can literally cut through any object on the planet. He isn't the biggest, or the strongest, but by god will he outlast you until he can get within stabbing distance. The real issue with him is that, besides Magneto or some other highly-contrived circumstances, there really isn't a whole lot stopping Wolverine from just Rambo'ing into most any situation and start stabbing things until said situation gets sorted out. It's sort of like the issue with making a compelling conflict for Superman, really. You can do it, and he can be a great character... but if you're lazy, or do it wrong, it's going to suck.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Man. Okay, I know it's kinda a dead horse at this point, but I have to laugh at the fact that in showing off new designs, the single female character's outfit is still 'nekkid.' That's it. That's her defining style: Blue naked chick. At least they could have included Jean Grey or some other character to add a bit of balance there.

Side note: I thought that Marvel Studios had managed to hold onto Live Action Quicksilver rights for use as an Avenger later on? Did that change?

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
rcs619 said:

Except no one went to see "First Class" it is both the least profitable and lowest grossing X-men film while last years "The Wolverine" is both the second most profitable after X2 and second highest grossing after "The Last Stand".
Sadly, The Wolverine Effect seems to have a negative correlation with movie quality while, at the same time, having a positive correlation with box-office success.

Just because something made a bunch of money doesn't mean it isn't terrible =P Barely anyone went to see Pacific Rim and it's still one of the best movies of the last decade.

Personally, I'd love to see the rights go back to Marvel so that, maybe, something interesting can be dome with the property. Basically my same opinion on Spiderman too, for that matter. Unless they start screwing up by the numbers, it seems overwhelmingly clear that Marvel is better at utilizing their various comic brands than any of the movie publishers they have licensed them out to (with the exception of Spiderman 2. Spiderman 2 was great).

How cool would that be if the rights did finally revert though? They won't, because Hollywood Legal-Fu is mighty... but still, it'd be pretty dang cool :D

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I guess Fox are still embarrassed by the X-Men/Brotherhood's more traditional costumes...Also, they seem to want Bay-formers-esq Sentinels instead of the classic kind which I can understand to a degree since this movie is for a younger generation...but...I just don't like what I've seen here so far. Street clothes, muted/dull colors, anorexic robots...at least Mystique looks good.

...It seems like a shame that Marvel can't just say "fuck it" and make Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, etc...It seems like a nice work-around that could work and appease fans of those films. If nothing else, the characters will at least be wearing the correct costumes, colors, etc.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm so unexcited about this film. It feels like they're going to throw away all the good stuff First Class did and I just can't see so many characters working. And most of these designs seem pretty bad right now, the terrible ones at least have the distinction of looking unboring but most don't even do that

SoraOhmsford

May 28, 2013
I hope these aren't the finished product because some of them look kind of fake. Havok looks a little off, something about his face looks odd, like they photoshopped his head or an expression onto the body. The sentinel looks a bit too much like obvious CGI. But my biggest problem is Beast; it looks like someone went searching the internet for werewolf/wolf-man faces, found one, painted it blue, photoshopped it onto a body, and called it a day. I'm not someone who is too picky with appearances and stuff, but WOW Beast looks fake; maybe its the facial expression, maybe its just some odd publicity photo.

Other characters don't look to bad, kind of find it amusing that Quicksilver is wearing sports goggles. I'm actually pretty interested with Peter Dinklage as Bolivar Trask, I know he isn't a little person/dwarf in the comics, but this just seems like such an interesting casting choice I have to know how well he pulls it off.

On a more general note, in spite of some of the problems with some of the costumes, still interested in seeing this movie. Never been interested in X-Men that much, but this is the first film about them that actually interests me enough to actually want to go see it in the theaters, hopefully it will win me over enough to make me see the other good X-Men movies.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
This keeps adding up to being some damn awful scattershot of characters on-screen. When will the carnage end? I too wish Marvel got the rights back because Fox keeps going with the "the more, the merrier" attitude for the screenplays, add also the "add more Wolverine" formula. No focus, no coherence, nothing. There is a reason that the Days of Future Past arc (and all those big comic events) take place in multiple comics for a long time. It's necessary to take time to develop the characters and the situation, not squish it all into two hours. *sigh*

Also, I get Game of Thrones is all the rage, and Peter Dinklage is awesome, but why on earth did they change Bolivar Trask this way? I see no point at all. Plus, wasn't Bolivar Trask already stablished in-movie cannon as some beefy, bold black dude (another change that was just there for the sake of it)?

vid87

May 17, 2010
2 things immediately come to mind:

-We get to see Magneto recruit Toad...yay?

-Judging from his design alone, Quicksilver is going to be unbearable, just the absolute biggest jerkwad imaginable.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Oh Hoult, why must they cover up your adorable hotness with a blue wolfman costume?

Wait, did I just type that out loud? Dang.

Anyway, a whole lot of them look kinda fake and cheap to me. Could be that it's due to the poor 'shop done for the covers.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Quicksilver looks troublingly old to be this Magneto's son, also this version of Magneto isn't even silver haired yet Quicksilver is. All pointing towards them not being related and not being father and son.

This is Wolverine and Sabertooth all over again, just destroy character back stories at will, why not.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
We see Blink breifly in the previews, but not in this, which tells me that she's a bit part. Sadly.