X-Men Director Reveals Movie's Plot

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Anyhow, I'd be more ambivalent/upset about this film if I wasn't aware that there are (or at least was, I couldn't tell you if that series is still running) X-Men comics out there that do exactly what this script proposes to do: throw out all the established backstory and reinvent everything in a new context that is just similar enough to the old stuff to make existing fans immensely irritated.
TBF, there's the Elseworlds(DC) and What If?(Marvel) that have been doing that for years.

I just find the idea of hastily bolting the latest IP onto a slush pile script to be repulsive.
Oh certainly, there's the whole "Alternate reality" one-offs and what-if scenarios that play out in the comics, and the entire DC-Universe official canon is practically a mobius strip of ret-cons at this point. The offender in question that I was ranting about wasn't one of those though - I can't remember what they were calling it but it was basically presented as a full on reboot of the X-Men, tossing out everything that came before and re-appropriating the more well-known character's likenesses and powers to create "new" (worse) versions of the originals. And then they would wholesale re-purpose older material seemingly just so they could re-tell it wrong, and make me bloody infuriated.

*Excuse me whilst I Google...*

Aha! It appears I am ranting about the Ultimate X-Men, just another part of the whole "Ultimate Marvel" initiative that I loathe utterly with every fiber in my being. I picked up the first trade paperback of that series and all I could think was "What the hell is this bullshit?! Why would they do this?! So much rage!!!" and I never read another issue after that. My cursory research tells me that other people like that crap, but the bit of my brain that shrieks "That never happened! That's wrong!" just can't be reasoned with.

With the films though they've been getting things wrong from the word go if you examine them from the perspective of a canonical stickler, so a new film that continues to get things wrong (but in different ways!) isn't quite so horrible in the grand scheme of things. Would I prefer they make a movie that's set in some entirely new IP with that plot rather than co-opt the X-Men? Oh hell yes, but even the good X-Men films were never very faithful to the comics except in the broadest of strokes; that makes it hard for me to get too angry at them for shit like this (the Spider-Man reboot on the other hand... yeah... [small]Kill it with fire![/small]).

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
I always find it odd that these articles never mention that Matthew Vaughn was at one point the director of X-Men 3. In fact he's the reason Jugernaut was included and Vinnie Jones got the role. That in mind, I'll wait for reviews before I decided to put down $25 for tickets but I'll definitly consider giving this a rent eventually (altough I have yet to actually see all of X3 yet).

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Seriously? This has just put me off the movie totally.

But then, I suppose it wasn't for me anyway. Just for the new breed who want to see CGI, explosions and boobies.
I like boobies.

This hasn't sold me on it, either. Especially X and Magneto joining the CIA? Yeesh...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Does anyone actually care about this movie? I find it hard. I am the among the most hardcore of fanboys... but I can't summon an ounce of care for this film.

They need to realize that what works on the pages of a comic book can't work on in a movie, it's literally impossible. Get rid of the helmet for gods sake. Goes to show how unable they are to understand the characterization of the comics. They NEED the helmet because otherwise NO ONE will know he is Magneto.

I'll rent this... maybe.... I would hate for the film to be successful, they might actually make another one.

SimGrave

Jan 7, 2010
So basically this is a movie about Magneto and Xavier joining force with CIA against Shaw and his hellfire club... with White Queen as his sidekick. Sounds like the other X-Men are just going to be accessories. Plus Shaw seeing the mutant as the future... isn't it the same story that went on with Magneto in the other 3 movies? It's hard for me to be excited about First Class. It may end up being a good movie, but I'm getting sick of hearing "reboot"... seems like the easy solution whenever they run out of idea or screwed up with the last movie. Here are the official and rumored movies set for reboots; X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Daredevil. According to popular voice, X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3 weren't really good and F4 and DD were just awful.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
...I don't like the way this guy uses his words. It's just wrong enough to be really annoying.
Then again, he's the director, not the writer.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I believe the term for "good bad guy" is antihero.
Besides that, I don't really like this costume (prefer the all-red affair myself).

Could be good, I like the interpretation of Magneto as a well intentioned extremist better than the more generic-brand Hannibal Lecter villain from his previous incarnation.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
kypsilon said:
Since when has stepping outside the concept material for any given superhero/villain yielded positive results in movies? If you're willing to set the thing back in the 60's rather than try and adapt it to modern times, why bother monkeying with the characters at all? They already invented the wheel guys, just let it roll.
Nolan stepped out side of the source material with his batman films and yet the comic-fan(me included) don't howl at him and his films.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Vaughan stated that this movie would please twilight fans. That kinda cancells out the whole badass Bond-Magneto thing. I´ll reserve judgement until i see a trailer.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Baresark said:
Does anyone actually care about this movie? I find it hard. I am the among the most hardcore of fanboys... but I can't summon an ounce of care for this film.

They need to realize that what works on the pages of a comic book can't work on in a movie, it's literally impossible. Get rid of the helmet for gods sake. Goes to show how unable they are to understand the characterization of the comics. They NEED the helmet because otherwise NO ONE will know he is Magneto.

I'll rent this... maybe.... I would hate for the film to be successful, they might actually make another one.
The reason Magneto has the helmet is to enhance his powers... just saying. Also comics can make good films e.g. Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, spider-man 1 and 2 weren't bad, despite some deviations from some of my fav bits in the comics or even Iron Man. What about the Dark Knight? comics can make good films.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
alrekr said:
Baresark said:

The reason Magneto has the helmet is to enhance his powers... just saying. Also comics can make good films e.g. Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, spider-man 1 and 2 weren't bad, despite some deviations from some of my fav bits in the comics or even Iron Man. What about the Dark Knight? comics can make good films.
Those were all fantastic movies. And very well done. I am simply saying that copying the look of the comic, especially in this case, is not a good idea always. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were completely fantastical. Look at what came out before that though. They tried to copy the look of the comic exactly, the bright colors, the over muscled chest pieces, and it was truly bad (speaking of Batman and Robin and the one before that). They can have a helmet, and they can use it the way it's supposed to be used, but they should probably refrain from using the exact look of the one from the comics and animated series, that is my opinion on it anyway.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Guh. Magneto as the anti-hero that wants to kill every normal human. Where I come from, they call that a villain. And working with the CIA? My internal bullshit meter is screaming WTF?! CIA goes- ooh, lets knock these freaks out and make them work for us! Yeah, like THAT would never happen! Sorry guys. This fails the reality test for me. My brain would explode out of my skull to get away from the stupid insanity on the screen.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Michael Fassbender... where have I heard that name before?
*a few clicks later*
The voice of Fable 3's Logan? This is going to be... interesting.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
rosac said:
I believe magneto will soon be able to claim the "manliest man this side of chuck norris" award.

Sean connery + magneto= pretty dang cool
Now with that outfit he won't :(

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Seriously? This has just put me off the movie totally.
I'm in complete agreement. Any potential interest I may have had in this film (which was virtually non-existent anyway) is now gone.

It is interesting to note that around the same time this was announced, we were also treated to the announcement of who the villian(s) would be in The Dark Knight Rises and who(m) would be playing them. An announcement that filled me with epic amounts of nerd-glee. Unlike this announcement, of which filled me with disgust.

I guess this just all re-affirms my assertion that Nolan is really the only director out there that knows how to treat a comic series source material with respect.

Nephilium

Oct 29, 2009
based in the 60's, well atleast the yellow spandex makes sence now. . . . As for the rest of the movie, i'll reserve judgement until i see it.