X-Play Extends to an Hour

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
the monopoly guy post=7.70429.693777 said:
Good, this might mean more then one or two reviews a show. I liked their longer reviews, especially when they were bad games. And maybe Bob and Steve will return.
Oh yeah...Bob and Steve...I remember them...*sigh* hopefully they survived their last episode and will be healthy enough for a new season!

I can dream can't I? :'(

Freakmonkey9

Aug 28, 2008
Jumplion post=7.70429.693772 said:
Freakmonkey9 post=7.70429.693757 said:
I hate the new Xplay they are not even funny anymore, I thought the Naruto game reviews were a perfect chance to bring out the jokes.
X-Play used to be funny?

What?
It certainly isn't funny now, I liked the old one better.

a big stupid idiot

Jan 9, 2008
What ever happened to X-Play. They used to give good, funny reviews. Now all they do is go around sucking game devs off at conventions. I mean come on, Morgan and Adam don't even do the reviews anymore.

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
In my opinion, everything went downhill when TechTV and G4 merged. There we had TechTV, a general technology/computer based channel with a few video game shows, plus tech support shows that actually helped people. Then we had G4, a channel more obsessed with video games than most of the members of this forum, which aired alot of useless shows, such as a show dedicated to teaching you how to cheat in games, or a show dedicated entirely to playing video game trailers and gameplay clips. The two channels merged, and before long every piece of TechTV simply disappeared in favor of G4's garbage.

I miss all the old shows :<

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
I'm going to go ahead and dodge all the G4 bashing here, because I see far too much of it around every time one of these newsbits floats up. I have my own criticisms but I'm not interested in discussing them here. Besides, what's done is done. All the nostalgia has a limit at some point.

As far as X-Play being an hour, it's a good move. The show is entirely too short with only a couple reviews, and I am hopeful we'll get some new content, if not more space for some more of the stuff already there. I'm actually glad for the departure away from the skits that I thought brought the show down. The news, reviews, and interviews are perhaps the most interesting portion of the show, not trying to be "funny".

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
fsanch post=7.70429.693924 said:
I'm going to go ahead and dodge all the G4 bashing here, because I see far too much of it around every time one of these newsbits floats up. I have my own criticisms but I'm not interested in discussing them here. Besides, what's done is done. All the nostalgia has a limit at some point.

As far as X-Play being an hour, it's a good move. The show is entirely too short with only a couple reviews, and I am hopeful we'll get some new content, if not more space for some more of the stuff already there. I'm actually glad for the departure away from the skits that I thought brought the show down. The news, reviews, and interviews are perhaps the most interesting portion of the show, not trying to be "funny".
I love yo-EHEM (jeez, I'm coughing alot today) thank you for making the most sense to me out of anyone.

I really don't know why everyone is complaining about wanting reviews from the show, if you want reviews go to IGN/Gamespot/Eurogamer/wahteverthehellreviewsgamesnowadays. Xplay was far to short, and I'm happy it'll be an hour now. After all, if you've seen any of their other hour specials you'd see that they gave hands on/demoes/previews/interviews with various developers and still have stuff for tommorow. How do you think Attack of the Show, or even ANY news network, keeps on having content the next day?

Nostalgia ends at some point, if you really want some more of the TechTV days then go on the forums and go around parading for more Portal/Arena/whateveryouguyswant because i'd love some new episodes of Game Makers.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
prahanormal post=7.70429.693851 said:
What ever happened to X-Play. They used to give good, funny reviews. Now all they do is go around sucking game devs off at conventions. I mean come on, Morgan and Adam don't even do the reviews anymore.
Pretty much this.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
X-Play the only good thing on G4 (besids wired 4 sex)I'm happy (kinda)

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
Susan Arendt post=7.70429.692216 said:
I, too, fondly remember the old days of Tech TV, when it was Extended Play and came from the Sony Metreon. Still, Adam Sessler is not only quite knowledgeable about gaming -- a rarity in a gaming host, I think we can all agree -- he's also an incredibly nice guy. No, seriously. I expected him to be a complete tool when I met him, but he was absolutely lovely.
He's also quite intelligent, you would know it from watching X-Play. As pretty much everyone here agrees, Tech TV hasn't been good for a while. I think X-Play suffered most, since they are trying to go for the fratboy demographic and hardcore gamer, and it just doesn't work. Attack of the Show is ok I guess, but that's because I have a huge crush on Olivia Munn...mmm.

TheWallsofJericho

Jun 8, 2008
At least that's another 30(ish) minutes of actual video-game related television on a station that is purported to be about Video Games.

Freakmonkey9

Aug 28, 2008
TheWallsofJericho post=7.70429.696610 said:
At least that's another 30(ish) minutes of actual video-game related television on a station that is purported to be about Video Games.
couldn't agree more

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
the monopoly guy post=7.70429.693777 said:
And I miss Braniac, it was like Mythbusters with more explosions, less science, and Brits.
The new show is on Discovery HD.

I don't like X-Play. Or Tech TV in general (There is a show called Hurl!) just use it for Reviews on the run,EP Daily and reruns of Leo Laporte's shows.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
X-Play used to be funny. Johnny Extreme, Ratty Puppet, the Canadian Guy, Drunk Link...the list goes on and on. It used to be something worth TiVo-ing.
Now? Blech.

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
The Sorrow post=7.70429.697632 said:
X-Play used to be funny. Johnny Extreme, Ratty Puppet, the Canadian Guy, Drunk Link...the list goes on and on. It used to be something worth TiVo-ing.
Now? Blech.
Remember Grabnar? Man that sketch was priceless.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
I really enjoy X-Play. At least, what I can watch of it. 1 hour should mean: longer reviews, new Bob & Steve and funnier sketches. At least I hope.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Wouldn't extra time mean less funny sketches because they have to make up more material per week?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
You have to admit though, this is a pretty busy year for them. They've had to cover all the years biggest conventions from the start of the year (I believe that was TGS?)

Last year, there was the drought, but not this year. Hopefully though they'll bring back Bob and Steve. I miss them :'(

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
N-Sef post=7.70429.697637 said:
The Sorrow post=7.70429.697632 said:
Now? Blech.
Remember Grabnar? Man that sketch was priceless.
Screaming intern, Yu Gi Oh! gang, passion of the christ 2 (that was freakin priceless), Bob and Steve, hell I even miss the Sammy Sosa and Jason Giambi heads.