X-Play's 'new' Hands-On with Skyrim, not all it's cracked up to be...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
G4 is still relevant? Wow...I am, amazed.

Still, I'll take Chinzilla's opinion with a grain of salt...as I do all reviews anymore.

MrMrAwesom

Mar 19, 2011
Genixma said:
. . . .that show still exists?
yeah but they don't do any video game related stuff anymore just video game trailers so it's basically an infomercial, which is basically not a show at all so in a way we all win now lets sing a barney song :p

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
MrMrAwesom said:
Genixma said:
. . . .that show still exists?
yeah but they don't do any video game related stuff anymore just video game trailers so it's basically an infomercial, which is basically not a show at all so in a way we all win now lets sing a barney song :p
Are you serious?! Dammit, that was the last thing left on G4 that was a legitimate video game show, and now it's been reduced to Cinematech with hosts?!

Ugh... that channel... fell harder than a drunk chick in an earthquake.... I guess it's a good thing DirecTV doesn't carry it anymore.
Sessler deserves better.

Chainsaw_Chuck

Dec 7, 2010
I think she did actually get to play the game at Quakecon. They just can't show any of that footage so they just grabbed the stuff that Bethesda already showed off at E3. What makes me think this is because Tod Howard coments that she used the flame spell in both hands when in the video it shows no such thing.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
sravankb said:
SirBryghtside said:
sravankb said:
This was the first time I watched some Skyrim footage and I can tell you, for a fact, that they rehashed the design of a few of the dragons from the Monster Hunter series -

and

You have just shown me two pictures of dragons.

The only similarities I can see are those that are... typical to dragons. They have totally different bodies, wings, faces, colour schemes - I just...

...wait, what was your point again?
Well, to be pedantic for a second - those two aren't dragons, they're wyverns. And wyverns don't generally walk on all fours (hind legs + wings). Plus, quite a few of their movement patterns / attacks seem similar to the ones in MH.
Exept that the baby dragon in the first Harry Potter movie walked just like that back in 2001; it's a pretty standard dragon trope, at least for the small ones.
bussinrounds said:
OK, it's pretty much a prettier
King of the Sandbox said:
Drakmeire said:
Ok, I don't wanna derail this with talk of x game looks better than x game, but to say that Skyrim looks EXACTLY like Oblivion is just flamebaiting. The design, characters, everything have all been redone completely, thus leading me to describe your comment as crazy talk.

As for x-Play, that's sad to hear... when they left our cable provider a couple years ago, I was noticing a sharp degradation of their material. Sad to hear that it wasn't a passing trend.
OK, it's a prettier Oblivion.
The thing about the Elder Scrolls games is that they're all pretty similar in that they're all first person RPGs with a certain group of races, all but one of which takes place in a pretty standard medieval European setting. Beyond that, though, everything is up in the air -- every main series game has had significant mechanical changes from the last, and they're generally things that a trailer won't show. If you don't like the series, fine, but it's disingenuous to say that any game in the series is just the last one with a new coat of paint.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Drakmeire said:
Ever since the first trailer I have been unable to see what the big deal about this game is. it looks the exact same as Oblivion.
Plus, X-play is a mess right now. All of G4 is.

Full Size: http://i.imgur.com/T83AK.jpg

That is all.

If you speak mechanics wise, yes they are probably similar. Just like every Elder Scrolls game has been since they were nigh unto text adventures.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:
Drakmeire said:
Ever since the first trailer I have been unable to see what the big deal about this game is. it looks the exact same as Oblivion.
Plus, X-play is a mess right now. All of G4 is.

Full Size: http://i.imgur.com/T83AK.jpg

That is all.

If you speak mechanics wise, yes they are probably similar. Just like every Elder Scrolls game has been since they were nigh unto text adventures.
I never realized just how ugly the stock faces in Oblivion were until I saw that picture. The ones in Morrowind looked better, especially with the Better faces mod (which I doubt raised the polycount even as high as that of Oblivion, and at any rate left the designs basically unchanged aside from raising the polycount to make them look smoother. Who modeled those things, anyway?

P.S.: Although the Argonian face looked good. Maybe a lizardman did the modeling? It would explain why the humanoid faces look so wonky :p