Xbox 360 is Japan's Favorite

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Can we get some insight to the methodology? Was this a scientific, weighted poll or an internet poll? Seeing as all this information is in Japanese, it would be helpful if a game journalist did some of that leg work for us. Otherwise you are simply repeating what may amount to a PR stunt, and giving the reader no tools to make a proper conclusion on how to digest any implications or ramifications of the story.

So, please, tell us, was it a phone poll with a scientific sample size conducted by an independent firm with experience in the matter, or a bunch of mail-in cards in your current Dengecki that would allow stuffing and (no pun intended) gaming of the results? Give us the facts, please.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Iron Mal said:
Is it really that suprising? The 360's success has come mostly from it's sheer universal appeal, it is suitable for the largest crowd of gamers while the PS3 is aimed at a more hardcore population (due to it's cost and smaller catalogue of games) while the Wii has more of a family/child direction to it (it's good but it may be looked down upon due to it's casual appeal).

It's a matter of function and purpose.
Quoted for logics and reason.

Oh and that truth thing too.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
SaintWaldo said:
Can we get some insight to the methodology? Was this a scientific, weighted poll or an internet poll? Seeing as all this information is in Japanese, it would be helpful if a game journalist did some of that leg work for us. Otherwise you are simply repeating what may amount to a PR stunt, and giving the reader no tools to make a proper conclusion on how to digest any implications or ramifications of the story.

So, please, tell us, was it a phone poll with a scientific sample size conducted by an independent firm with experience in the matter, or a bunch of mail-in cards in your current Dengecki that would allow stuffing and (no pun intended) gaming of the results? Give us the facts, please.
It's a valid question, and I'd love to be able to, but unfortunately I can't read Japanese, so I can't give you any more information than I already have.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Armored Prayer said:
Oh my various gods. I thought this will never happen.
Indeed. It at least explains the flying pigs and 4 horsemen of the apocalypses (nice guys actually, enjoy a coco, but they have a job to do like everyone, heh).

Anywho, I do find this extremely surprising. I figured Nintendo for sure, or failing that, the Playstation, but the 360? I'd never have guessed.

NC3

Jan 12, 2009
Onmi said:
Vlane said:
NC3 said:
Yeah, it really shouldn't come as a surprise with all the rpg's being made for it.
How many RPG's are 360 exclusives and how many will come for it? I'm sure the number isn't as large as the PS3's list of RPG's.
Actually it's LARGER.

Also I still fucking love the "I didn't buy a PS3 because I don't like JRPGs" when the 360 has more. yes the 360 has MORE.
Yep. I kinda thought this was common knowledge by now. If you're paying attention, that is.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:
The DS hit saturation point in japan long time ago. Nintendo revealed long time ago almost 100% sales in Japan.
My god...Do they give a newborn baby a DS as its being born there?

Nearly 100% sales, as in nearly 100% of the population owns a DS? That's like a dream come true for any company...

*applauds Nintendo* Long live their handhelds! As for the consoles, I've never owned a single Nintendo home console. And I'm not likely to until the next console generation.
The 100% doesnt mean the whole population...if not in Japan alone the DS would have sold around 120 million units. When they sold around 100 million units. :p

The 100% and saturation means that the console sold to everyone that was going to buy it and more. And that there arent that many DS buyers in Japan left. WHich meant that Nintendo now needs to sell the DS to the rest of the world. WHich they did and right now theres more DS in the USA than in Japan, when Nintendo started to do more marketing for the DS in the USA around 2007 which was around the time that the DS hit the saturation market in Japan.

So you know the numbers from the end of 2007 to 2008 the DS sold in japan something like 5 million units. In the USA betewen 2007-2008 sold around 10 million units.
Those are some impressive numbers, any idea what Nintendo's profits were from the DS alone? Or maybe deficit, even though I doubt that.
I dont know the numbers but this picture might help...

Just replace Scrooge with Miyamoto or Iwata and the result will be the same. :p
Wonder why they released the DSi? Hint hint: it likely has something to do with your picture there, and the fact that they can't sell any more of the originals in Japan. :D

And I don't trust ANY surveys unless I conduct them myself. Otherwise the results have liked been fiddled with to support some group or another.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
oliveira8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:
The DS hit saturation point in japan long time ago. Nintendo revealed long time ago almost 100% sales in Japan.

Nearly 100% sales, as in nearly 100% of the population owns a DS? That's like a dream come true for any company...

*applauds Nintendo* Long live their handhelds! As for the consoles, I've never owned a single Nintendo home console. And I'm not likely to until the next console generation.
The 100% doesnt mean the whole population...if not in Japan alone the DS would have sold around 120 million units. When they sold around 100 million units. :p

The 100% and saturation means that the console sold to everyone that was going to buy it and more. And that there arent that many DS buyers in Japan left. WHich meant that Nintendo now needs to sell the DS to the rest of the world. WHich they did and right now theres more DS in the USA than in Japan, when Nintendo started to do more marketing for the DS in the USA around 2007 which was around the time that the DS hit the saturation market in Japan.

So you know the numbers from the end of 2007 to 2008 the DS sold in japan something like 5 million units. In the USA betewen 2007-2008 sold around 10 million units.
Those are some impressive numbers, any idea what Nintendo's profits were from the DS alone? Or maybe deficit, even though I doubt that.

Wonder why they released the DSi? Hint hint: it likely has something to do with your picture there, and the fact that they can't sell any more of the originals in Japan. :D

And I don't trust ANY surveys unless I conduct them myself. Otherwise the results have liked been fiddled with to support some group or another.
Yeah but the date and the numbers are all from that group thingie that says how much stuff has sold....did I make myself clear? :p

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
scotth266 said:
oliveira8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:

Yeah but the date and the numbers are all from that group thingie that says how much stuff has sold....did I make myself clear? :p
Yes. I was referring to the OP in the second sentence. Whoops on my part!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
I would like to know how this was conducted though; something about the results just don't sit well with me.

Remember that this is Japan, a culture radically different from our own. Why are these Consumer Satisfaction ratings leaning the opposite way to sales?

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
this doesnt exactly surprise me. the 360 has a bigger library and almost all the game on the PS3 can be found on the xbox. so it comes down to how much money you want to spend. $400 or $600

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
So, who cares? Japanese consumers like the product.
Guess what? They're consumers, too!
They can have all three if they want.

I hate console wars...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Even the japanese are tired of the gimmicks on Wii, and since the PS3 still costs about $700 State-side, it'd be about ten bajillion yen over there. In response, they have shunned their locals and turned to the manly, slightly cheaper FPS games of the X-Box 360.

Reports have shown that the average japanese man's wang length has nearly doubled since the 360's rise to power.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
I must say I'm impressed. I've always said that if I were to buy a second console, it'd be the 360. Now that hypothetical conviction has been affirmed as wise. By the Japanese.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
I looked at the actual graphs on the Japanese site, and I'm not as impressed as I was at first. There is a marked difference in perception of those who have bought it versus those thinking about buying it; a bigger difference than there is for the other consoles, where the stats of those who have it are danged near identical to those thinking about buying it, which is probably why sales are low.

The graphs are here, if you can read Japanese:
http://hatimaki.blog110.fc2.com/blog-entry-1001.html

Basically, it's winning with at the "longtime gamer level" (nagai geemaa sou) for having a lot of "interesting foreign games."

(I went poking around ASCII Media Works for info on the polling, but couldn't find it; if people really want to know I can look around a bit more and see if I can dig it out of the site somewhere.)

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Well, to be fair, they don't mention numbers entirely do they? is this overall satisfaction or just annoyance satisfaction? Every game to be an FPS satisfaction? Amount of people who have one satisfaction? for that matter, how many 360 gamers are there for this vote? i mean 50% can be 2 votes, 100% can be a single vote.