ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Scow2 said:
ResonanceSD said:
Pretty sure this is obviously wrong. The only drawcard for a console over a PC for a developer is that if you code for one X360, you can be damn sure that the code will work on every X360 ever released. The difficulty with PC systems lies in the fact that no two PCs are exactly the same.
But when the only difference between the machines is the numbers, not brand and manufacturer, they are much more consistent. An ATI graphics card doesn't function the same way as an nVidea one does. A Toshiba computer is a different beast from a Dell, HP, or Acer computer of the same stats.

Being able to plug in a larger/better RAM and/or Video Card to access larger texture resolution/polycount/particle counts and/or reduce loading times is a good thing to me. Requiring me to get a new console to play a game branded as running with my current console, or allowing me to buy a console that doesn't work with the games supposedly made for it, is a bad thing to me.

uh, you're aware that different types of GPU from the same manufacturer will also function differently?

Also, you both contradicted yourself and proved my point. There's no point in consoles becoming upgradeable, because they still won't match the power of PCs and their convenience, whilst giving up their only competitive advantage for developers.

scully745

Mar 15, 2011
Done right, this COULD end PC gaming, or at least force it to change in some way that makes it attractive to current PC gamers. Of course, it's being done by Microsoft so what potential there is will be almost completely wasted. They seem to have forgotten that most choose consoles over PC to avoid precisely this, so it could also kill their chances of succeeding with that generation. Of course, there're always the fanboys of each platform who will buy it regardless of how shit it may or may not be, better to assume they'll screw it up. Dosn't influence me either way, as I don't consider it blasphemy to own both an Xbox and a good enough PC to call myself a PC gamer like many here seem to.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
Scow2 said:
ResonanceSD said:
Pretty sure this is obviously wrong. The only drawcard for a console over a PC for a developer is that if you code for one X360, you can be damn sure that the code will work on every X360 ever released. The difficulty with PC systems lies in the fact that no two PCs are exactly the same.
But when the only difference between the machines is the numbers, not brand and manufacturer, they are much more consistent. An ATI graphics card doesn't function the same way as an nVidea one does. A Toshiba computer is a different beast from a Dell, HP, or Acer computer of the same stats.

Being able to plug in a larger/better RAM and/or Video Card to access larger texture resolution/polycount/particle counts and/or reduce loading times is a good thing to me. Requiring me to get a new console to play a game branded as running with my current console, or allowing me to buy a console that doesn't work with the games supposedly made for it, is a bad thing to me.

uh, you're aware that different types of GPU from the same manufacturer will also function differently?

Also, you both contradicted yourself and proved my point. There's no point in consoles becoming upgradeable, because they still won't match the power of PCs and their convenience, whilst giving up their only competitive advantage for developers.
But the difference is small (if at all) if the GPU is from the same series.

And what's this bullshit about them not matching the power of PCs? When the 360 came out, it was superior to any PC within twice its price-tag, and the PS3 surpassed even that. It's not that they're underpowered, it's that they didn't upgrade as PCs did. I remember seeing projections for how long each of the consoles was supposed to last:
The 360 was predicted to be replaced in 2008, since its advantage was in the early start and raw power (Which would quickly get surpassed).
The Wii was predicted to be replaced in 2010, but nobody cares about that.
The PS3 was predicted t be phased out in 2014, because that's how long it was predicted developers would take to figure out how to make it work.

As far as convenience: The N64's memory boost-thingy and Xbox 360's hard drive proved it was VERY easy to make a console convenient and upgradable. There are three barriers in upgrading a PC:
1. Finding the right component you need out of the dozens out there, with the differently-advertised features of each one making it difficult to determine which one's actually better, and if it works for your computer's port. It's a lot easier to upgrade from "Xbox GPU Mk1" to "Xbox GPU Mk2" than it is to go from "Nvidia GeForce Whatever" to "ATI Pro Whatever" or "Radeon HD Infinite Whatever"
2. Price, which can be undercut to ensure market share due to proprietary control (Micro$oft sells its consoles for a loss, and makes it back and then some from Xbox Live and their cut from every game sold). Also, being the only seller of the component means they can mass-produce and package them for individual sale and be sure of moving all units.
3. Firmware updates, especially trying to figure out WHICH obsolete PoS in your system it needs to get the upgrade for and applying it, and hoping the rest of your system has the stats to figure it out.
4. The actual need to open the computer box and figure what goes where, and what's compatible with what. Making a hardware upgrade as simple as changing NES games makes this insurmountable-to-average-joe barrier completely trivial.

In macroeconomics, limiting choice and having sale monopoly of a market is a bad thing. However, in this case, in the proprietary model of Xbox upgrades, there's no real market - if people want out, they can put up with the hassle of PC gaming instead. Developers still have firm benchmarks, and even flexibility in what they want to do, because they know that regardless of whether the target console has 4 or 8 GB of RAM, or a GPU 1 or GPU 2, it still functions as long as all components meet the minimum ones it's rated for.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
saintdane05 said:
In before some asshole references Jim the asshole and yell how we shall all be PCs or be shot.
Seriously though, if this is where we're going, why wouldn't you just go the PC route?

You hate having lower game prices, more sales and a far bigger library?

I mean, for all the bitching people do about how expensive a gaming PC is (they aren't actually that expensive), it's more than made up for in the cost of games. Easily. A few times over.

That's a point apparently everybody misses.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Scow2 said:
2. Price, which can be undercut to ensure market share due to proprietary control (Micro$oft sells its consoles for a loss, and makes it back and then some from Xbox Live and their cut from every game sold). Also, being the only seller of the component means they can mass-produce and package them for individual sale and be sure of moving all units.
This point is undercut so hard by this generation. Remember that time when MS requires the use of their proprietary hard drives now and they're so overpriced, it's laughable? I can go pick any random 1TB HDD for like $60-$80 while MS was charging over $100 for a 120gig HDD.

Also see: Any Apple product ever.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Oh hey, maybe some console peeps might realize there's even less reason to use the format and start playing games on the PC.

That's kinda good for everyone.

Players get a better experience, and the PC format gets more players.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I say sure do this as I'm probably not getting the next generation of consoles but it will mean that consoles will stop holding back PC development due to its outdatedness in the later stages of the console life-cycle.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
saintdane05 said:
In before some asshole references Jim the asshole and yell how we shall all be PCs or be shot.
Pretty sure Jim never said "we shall all be PCs or be shot." In fact, I don't think anyone here has ever said we should turn into computers.
Yeah, but just because nobody's said it doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

Become one with the machine, my friends. Become... PCs.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Dfskelleton said:
Clearing the Eye said:
saintdane05 said:
Pretty sure Jim never said "we shall all be PCs or be shot." In fact, I don't think anyone here has ever said we should turn into computers.
Yeah, but just because nobody's said it doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

Become one with the machine, my friends. Become... PCs.
I plugged directly into the Matrix before it was cool.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Scow2 said:
I think the only piece of hardware that should be "Scalable" on a console is the Hard Drive, because that doesn't affect performance, only how much you can store on it. A game for the console should be playable on ANY Xbox: I can play the relatively recently released Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 on my old Xbox 360 Arcade I got back in 2008. I'd hate to have to upgrade the actual hardware of next console generation just to keep up with developer releases. I have a PC for that.
PCs from 1995 can run modern games. Albeit on lowest settings, but it is done.
Game devs always make games for the lowest common denominator: ATM that's consoles. If this is implemented, it will be the non-upgraded consoles.
Will it look as good?
No. If you cared about that though, you'd buy a PC as that is where games look best. If you don't care about having lower graphical settings, odds are you'll be able to play most games released even after hardware updates on the oldest system.

I normally would bypass comments like this, but I'm getting sick of posts that either state or imply that you must always have the absolute latest hardware, and spend all your money on that, then tout it as a downside of PC gaming. Its just simply not true.

Jaxs

Jul 19, 2010
There's been rumors about this since the original Xbox, i'll believe it when I see it.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
Hmmmm I may open a shop that can Upgrade your xbox, am sure there will be thousands of kiddies and kiddies mom's and dad's that wont wanna touch the inside of the machine, even if it is just clip snap in parts. and do it for cheaper then MS can

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
I'm a console gamer and I would rather they didn't implement this.

We've all had the argument, PC vs Console and I'm sure we all know which side of the line we would fall on.
There are however a few irrefutable points though that seperate the factions.
PCs allow mods and patches for games like Skyrim and also allow players to use keyboard and mouse peripherals.
Consoles are basic gaming platforms that offer a wide range of games. Because they don't allow for mods etc that are not approved on the systems you will not see lightsabers in Halo or NyanCat in C.O.D. but neither will you have anybody saying that they lost a game because the other guy had a better deck.

So what does this mean?
Well I had a friend that missed a puzzle piece on Secret worlds because he had his graphics set lower.
Halo Wars sucked because RTS are not designed for consoles.
Games of Halo 2 were plagued by kids modding.
Throughout my consoles lifespan I can choose my game based on my tastes and desires and never need to consider whether my Xbox has a good enough graphics card or CPU.

I'm sure Microsoft are considering things like this and will likely abandon the project eventually.
My own suspicion is that MS are cockblocking others from developing their own versions by having legal grounds to launch patents lawsuits at a later date.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
So how much does a 'console' have to copy thing from the PC before we just work out is no longer a console. Console was a device just for playing games. How multimedia, etc do they have to get before they are no longer consoles.....

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Lol, wait what!? I thought that the main reason that developers prefer to make games for consoles is the fact that they only have to optimize for one hardware configuration. And if this console is like this, why wouldn't the gamer just get a PC? Don't lie to me about ease of use, if you don't know how to install and play a game on a PC, you shouldn't be here. If you say PC's are more expensive and need to be upgraded frequently, that argument is now null and void. If you say it's better to play in the living room, you haven't yet seen my setup. Okay I'm done, kill me now with your comments.