"Xbox Factor" Transforming the Movie Industry

Jan 23, 2009
are proving that these days, it's girls who rule the entertainment industry
yeh sure they are, look at the video game sector of the entertainment industry, simply dominated by female audiences. To be sure, males simply don't want to be entertained anymore, focusing on more important things like science, mechanics, and the defence of freedom from terrorism... blah blah blah... sensationalist crap... etc.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Soooo... We've basically caused the movie industry to collapse into a wasteland of terrible, terrible, twilight style movies? Thus making it all the more likely that me and my friends will be going to the movies together?

Mission Accomplished

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
Nooooooo! We're doomed and it's all our fault!
Quick, what can we do to reverse this trend?

Games are generally more fun and lasting entertainment than movies, but that doesn't mean I want to have to wade through chick flicks to find a movie I like. It's hard enough now, and considering that most of the movies I like came from the demographic they had been focusing on, I'm kinda worried now.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
UtopiaV1 said:
"...it's girls who rule the entertainment industry."

HA, trying saying that when the Warhammer 40,000 movie Ultramarines comes out!!!

http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/
I think I just wet my pants, with pure testosterone...

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Andy Chalk said:
"A lot of young males are spending much more time on the internet, games and UFC [ultimate fighting],"
I've never spent my time Ultimate Fighting.
What!?!? I ultimate fight every day....with BEARS that have LASER BEAMS for eyes!!!!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Velocirapture07 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Andy Chalk said:
"A lot of young males are spending much more time on the internet, games and UFC [ultimate fighting],"
What!?!? I ultimate fight every day....with BEARS that have LASER BEAMS for eyes!!!!
I spend my time playing <url=http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1488>the most dangerous game.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"Xbox Factor" Transforming the Movie Industry

"The movies may be alternately cheesy and sappy, and the scripts laughable, but teen and tween girls don't care."

Because teen and tween girls are stupid.

As on spot as that comment might be, I personally think the past year just had some really shitty movies out. Compare it to 2008 where we had Iron Man and Dark Knight among many other great titles, 2009 was shit. 2010 looks to be better but not to the 2008 level. Here's hoping that I'm wrong about that at least.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Velocirapture07 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Andy Chalk said:
I spend my time playing <url=http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1488>the most dangerous game.
Touche sir, Touche. That was perhaps the coolest thing I've seen today.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oh yeah, I'm sure the fact that most of the movies they've been making the last 10-15 years or so have been total shite has nothing to do with it.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
tighem said:
I suppose it would be too much to ask for Hollywood to develop good scripts that appeal to tweens and teens? Just as with the boys, they'll churn out crap as long as it makes a buck.
Hasen't hollywood been doing that for years apon years?

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
my ex-gf loved chickflicks so much, it was horrible. i didn´t mind watching one with her from time to time, because usually i fell asleep after half an hour. seriously, rom coms make my brain hurt really bad. they are just so stupid. it gets even worse when they try to make the characters super interesting by giving them a minor drug dependency or a quirky hobby to somehow make them cooler. it just don´t work.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Khitten said:
but, angsty vampires notwithstanding, it hasn't historically been what you'd call a big money demographic.
Titanic... You make a half decent movie and it will make money no matter the subject matter.

Anyway am I the only one who thought this was going to be a news report about a transforming Xbox in Michael Bays latest cinematic excretion?
Yeah "I'm just as surprized as you are." cookie for the reffrence.

Didn't some movie company already try to claim games and/or other media were the reason for low sells they thought were gold?

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
I think this is a grouse misinterpretation of the trend. We 20 somethings with the mind of 13 year old children still go to the cinema. I don`t think the male audience cannot stop playing, whatever they are playing at the time, to take a break and go to a GI Joe type/stereotype movie.

And why call it the "Xbox factor" ?! This "research" was born out of incompetence or ignorance.

Maveleye

Nov 27, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
""A lot of young males are spending much more time on the internet, games and UFC [ultimate fighting],""

Business idea: hire a room at the local theater and put up a sign:
"View the latest UFC match here now, live on our 120 foot screen! Our full surround system will make you half deaf as fighter A beats fighter B to a pulp!!!".

Seriously, this stuff gets pay per view bucks, so why not stream it live to your reeeeeally expensive "media room" a.k.a. movie theater and ask for a few bucks entrance fee?

People used to watch the News in theaters too once...
Not saying I would go to see this myself, but I have a lot of friends that are in to UFC that would want to.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
See, I liked Valentines Day and so did my boyfriend who later admitted to his mother, "I like it, but I can't admit it because I'm a dude."

I honestly don't care who games are marketed too, as long as they're good.

Poofs

Nov 16, 2009
im a guy and i am a fan of both videogames and chick fliocks so this doesnt bother me
also i dont get whats so great about UFC