Xbox Live vs Playstation Network

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
I don't have a playstation 3 nor have I ever use PSN, but that gets my vote regardless.

I have an xbox 360, have had the paid service they provide and have concluded that it is a long way below acceptable.
-It is laggy as all hell (both matchmade and private games spike irraticially).
-Uses p2p (which means it costs sweet jack all to maintain) yet is expensive, downloads
painfully slow (despite my fast internet).
-Fails matchmaking horribly (the number of times I got stuck in a game against American and
European players is disgracefull, I'm in Australia, at least match me to local players).
-Disconnects for no reason ocasionally (for such an expensive service this is unacceptable).

It is just an all round terrible service. Truly I can't see PSN being anywhere near that shitty, even if it is maintained by untrained flamingos.

Ashkente

Jan 21, 2009
I have both, I use both.

Live is better, but purely because the guys/gals working at XBL are passionate about it, with community gaming days, events, and so forth.

So far the only things I've found on PSN that I've given two piles of overpriced turd about are the Marvel vs Capcom demo (which they botched), Suikoden (so I can play it on my PSP, but not having 2 available for dload sucks), and the newest Ratchet and Clank title.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
PSN, because i've found no difference between the two worth my £40 a year (own and use both regularly), also, the party system is nice but it means i cant use my xbox non-socially anymoe without a half dozen contacts getting pissy ¬_¬

phar

Jan 29, 2009
Dys said:
I don't have a playstation 3 nor have I ever use PSN, but that gets my vote regardless.

I have an xbox 360, have had the paid service they provide and have concluded that it is a long way below acceptable.
-It is laggy as all hell (both matchmade and private games spike irraticially).
-Uses p2p (which means it costs sweet jack all to maintain) yet is expensive, downloads
painfully slow (despite my fast internet).
-Fails matchmaking horribly (the number of times I got stuck in a game against American and
European players is disgracefull, I'm in Australia, at least match me to local players).
-Disconnects for no reason ocasionally (for such an expensive service this is unacceptable).

It is just an all round terrible service. Truly I can't see PSN being anywhere near that shitty, even if it is maintained by untrained flamingos.
Yeah PSN has servers for some games in Australia. KZ2 plays really well online (thats all I play online on consoles really)

I wish I could get a refund for live gold.. but you cant.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I have both and to be honest, I really don't think Xbox Live is worth it, I won't be renewing my gold membership this year. For how much I use it, I much prefer PSN and I also like the extra freedoms it allows developers.

Shadowlolz

Mar 25, 2009
i use my live accunt for about month after i buy a game for my xbox... and it is a nice experience communication-wise sometimes connection-wise its a miss but its not annoying. PS# online is free but communication is pretty bad in some instaces. my connection is almost always 100% maybe a lag spike in a large game but other than that its awesome

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Ashkente said:
I have both, I use both.

Live is better, but purely because the guys/gals working at XBL are passionate about it, with community gaming days, events, and so forth.

So far the only things I've found on PSN that I've given two piles of overpriced turd about are the Marvel vs Capcom demo (which they botched), Suikoden (so I can play it on my PSP, but not having 2 available for dload sucks), and the newest Ratchet and Clank title.
They do community gaming days and events because their service is so shitty for the money you have to pay for it, they need to do something to keep people on it. This is coming from a 360 owner.

HippySecond

Jun 11, 2008
i think it comes down to which system you have (if only one) and what you want the online for. i have a ps3, so it would be easy to say it's the best without qualification, but i have spent a fair bit of time on live as well. I like the sexiness of PSN, it looks cool. but having said that i like the arcade type content on live, castle crashers for example was a bloody fun game, and the stuff i have seen on PSN doesn't have the same pizazz. to be fair, i hate paying money for lame DLC, re Killzone 2 map pack ($10 for 2 new maps sans content seems overpriced) but both PSN and live had the bad company conquest pack update for free, so both seem pretty good as far as I'm concerned. about the subscription fee for live, i think i was reading on Kotaku, that while Live charges customers for membership, PSN charges the developer for data that is downloaded from the service, so this may be why we see less demos/indi games on PSN

EDIT: p.s. i also prefer the live system of viewing player cards in game and calling ban hammer on griefers, looking at Bad Company again, not an option on PSN

C3rtainD3ath

Aug 21, 2008
You get what you pay for. i think that summarises this whole thread.
PSN has a few more problems, but its free isnt it?(I have a 360 btw)

Reg5879

Jan 8, 2009
toasterslayer said:
mikecoulter said:
xbox Live is fun, yet PS3 Online is fun + free.

Both good though
but it cost like, 200$ more to buy a ps3 so 4 years of xbox live.
Dont forget to add cost to Xbox 360 to get RROD repaired hundreds of times lol. Also, PSN is better.

wgreer25

Good news everyone!
Jun 9, 2008
I have both. And I greatly prefer XBL. The chatting functions are much better and you are more likely to find people with mics. PSN has kinda F-ed up in not including a mic in their bundle. And I have had WAY more connectivity issues with PSN than XBL. I've had an XBL account for many years and it has rarely given me any problems. However, on PSN, I have had connection problems since I have had it (and these are obviously using the same connection, so it is definately on their end).

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Although I only own a PS3 and not a 360, I'd say that XBL is very good. It's very stable, and when playing in an online match multiple people can be on one console, which I've only seen on the PS3 in GRAW2 but only on a LAN match. There's is also the party system which seems very fun.

However I do prefer the PSN more because A) free; B) Sony submit software updates a lot more frequently; C) (and this is the main one) I hate the concept of using points to buy stuff. It's the same with the Wii, it's just pointless. The PSN uses proper currency all around the world, which makes it easier to decide if something's worth the money you bought it for, and it helps me work out if I have enough for it.

Reg5879 said:
toasterslayer said:
mikecoulter said:
xbox Live is fun, yet PS3 Online is fun + free.

Both good though
but it cost like, 200$ more to buy a ps3 so 4 years of xbox live.
Dont forget to add cost to Xbox 360 to get RROD repaired hundreds of times lol. Also, PSN is better.
200$ my arse, here the difference is about £100 between the highest spec PS3 and the lowest spec 360.

Vanquishuer

Twilight Vanquisher
Mar 5, 2009
i have tried both, and i would say Live (own a PS3, not 360)(and the New interface of the 360 pissed me off)

even though there is a chance you will get some random 12 year old failing at being a gangster (or black), and succeeding at being a massive annoyance (good to know who to target in a FPS)

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Shapsters said:
I have not tried PSN, but I have heard it is just not as good. People ***** about paying for XBox live but it is $5 month. Not bad considering it works perfectly.
I argue, i had both consoles and (Thankfully) when the PS3 updated once, it took over the Xbox live, in user friendly. But it has always been better in terms of cost and efficienty, and i say that, being as unbiased as possible.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Ratchonhellscream said:
even though there is a chance you will get some random 12 year old failing at being a gangster (or black), and succeeding at being a massive annoyance (good to know who to target in a FPS)
Actually these days the lobbies are pretty silent since almost everybody who's playing is in a party. That includes me.