Xbox One Automatically DVR's Unlocked Achievements

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Going to be another person saying "You better be able to turn this off".

A lot of games reward you with achievements for starting up the single-player, or every time you complete a level/chapter/whatever.

Having that be automatically recorded to the hard drive every single time is going to eat up space, fast.

And since they don't want you attaching hard drives that aren't Microsoft-approved and the one that comes with the Xbox One isn't all that large...

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well it's a nice little feature. Of course we'll have the issue of stupidly easy achievements like Complete Mission 1 popping up everywhere.

I also wonder whether you'll be able to delete the footage. Well regardless, I'll just wait for 9 more comments to pop about much Microsoft sucks for doing this.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Unless you've set up some kind of video capture device beforehand, you don't really have anything to show for all your hard work.
Um, you get an achievement.

I see this clogging up harddrives and video websites alike, just imagine how many videos will be uploaded of the same 5 minutes of gameplay with a little pop-up at the end. Oh and Playstation did it! Playstation did it!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Achievement Unlocked: Completed the game!"

"Automatically uploading to Facebook!"

And then all your friends unfriend you because you posted epic spoilers on your wall. :p

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Man if only I cared, and if only the ps4 didn't do that already and was cheaper and didn't initially come with all that great drm and always online.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I love the people who comment saying they not only don't care, but then proceed to brag that the PS4 also does it, instantly proving that the only reason they don't care is because Microsoft did it. Either you don't care (in which case why are you even looking at the article in the first place, let alone commenting on it) so it doesn't matter whether another console is doing it, or you do care and the choice of console makes no difference in this case. Save your Microsoft hate for a more relevant thread.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
This has got to be the most pointless thing I've heard. Who wants to watch someone unlock every crummy piece of gameplay out there?

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
I don't see how this is 'cool.' Sounds to me that they're recording your game play to see if you're modding. It's still Big Brother only under a new guise.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Ugh, they didn't state that the system would automatically clean up what obviously isn't wanted, so it'll lead to data bloat. I also notice that they didn't add a 'by default' or 'can be set to not happen.'

People need to yell at Microsoft about this, that's the only way we get them to implement being able to turn a feature off when we want to.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
well, people already record xbox game-play with capture cards for this and other purposes however it does open it up to the lazy masses, which is kinda cool.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Um, if it's constantly recording video into a temporary folder, wouldn't that use up a considerable amount of processing power and RAM? And unless it's recording at good old 320x240 (aka internet safe) wouldn't it just end up filling your hard drive full of clips of you successfully watching cutscenes without dying, that you'll have to go and delete when your drive is full?

I hope this feature can be disabled!

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Oh boy, I can't wait for it to record videos of my putting the disc in. I can see why they would add this feature, but it also makes me hope that it makes them give better direction for when to give achievements (maybe try when we actually do something!).

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
RicoADF said:
SKBPinkie said:
RicoADF said:
Nice, too bad the PS4 does the same thing otherwise it might be a small selling point. Ah well, nice try M$.
I'm not a Microsoft supporter, but can people stop using "M$"? It comes off as snarky without any semblance of wit or humor. It almost invalidates your point.

But yeah, you're right - the PS4 does this as well, and only a slightly unrelated note - I feel like people aren't talking enough about the possibility of including Gaikai for backwards compatibility. That's a huge, huge plus.
Your right it does come across rude, but as someone who had both systems pre-ordered at one point but canceled due to the utter failure that the Xbox One PR has turned out to be I'm seriously over Microsoft and their crap and have no quarms at showing my disgust of them and how they treat us the consumer. Still I'll stop using that since your correct that it just makes me look stupid.
This is completely off topic, so I hope I'm not breaking a rule with this post. But reading this exchange just kind of made me happy. It's the reason I come to the Escapist when I feel like a bit of intelligent discourse. Reasonable people discussing things. No yelling or crying. You have a stance, he has a stance, points made and considered.

I love this place. Just wanted to gush for a minute.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Marohen said:
"Microsoft later removed this feature when their service was completely choked out and flooded by every user showing a five second clip of every inane achievement that's given to them automatically."
Yep, I suspect this will be the downfall of this idea.

What they might do, if they have any sense... ..ha, would be to make it so that SOME achievements would trigger it. That way developers can skip the "YOU PUSHED A BUTTON" ones and keep the "YOU MADE A CAR JUMP OFF A RAMP ONTO A BUILDING HALF A CITY AWAY!" ones.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Vie said:
Marohen said:
"Microsoft later removed this feature when their service was completely choked out and flooded by every user showing a five second clip of every inane achievement that's given to them automatically."
Yep, I suspect this will be the downfall of this idea.

What they might do, if they have any sense... ..ha, would be to make it so that SOME achievements would trigger it. That way developers can skip the "YOU PUSHED A BUTTON" ones and keep the "YOU MADE A CAR JUMP OFF A RAMP ONTO A BUILDING HALF A CITY AWAY!" ones.
I was gonna say this. Maybe have separate 'story' achievements and 'skill' achievements so you don't end up with a bunch of footage of the same shit that everyone's gonna see.

Because, needless recording of story achievements aside, I think this is a good idea.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I can't wait to be able to show off my footage of "Starting a new game." "Killing my first enemy", and "Putting one foot in front of the other".
Seriously though, even if it only applied to stupidly hard to get achievements. Who cares? Are people rewatching gameplay footage of them unlocking things and fapping to it? Are they showing it to their friends? No friend of mine would ever give two shits about my achievements. In fact, WHO cares about achievements at all? Can't play a game without artificial achievements to unlock?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I hope to god that you can turn this off. When that is my first reaction, this isn't a good "feature".

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
I keep seeing the phrase 'bragging rights' lately in gaming articles (usually thinly-veiled ads). I find it repugnant, both in phrasing and in concept. Is this really a 'thing' with guys? 'Bragging' about accomplishments in a game, and beyond that, requiring 'proof' to have the 'right' to do so? It just seems so inane and absurd to me.

Clearly I must have a very different personal definition of 'cool new concept' for a console...

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
This actually sounds like a cool idea, though I have to agree with the people pointing out the potential bandwidth issues.