Xbox One Backward Compatibility Is a Future Possibility

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011

The catch is that it's through the cloud servers, and the Xbox One doesn't want your Xbox 360 discs.

Thanks to the Azure cloud servers for the Xbox One, the console could have backwards compatibility in the future, but "we just have to figure out how, over time, how much does that cost to deliver, how good is the experience," Microsoft senior director Albert Penello said in an interview with Gamespot.

Both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will not be backward compatible at launch. Sony plans to use Gaikai, a cloud-based service that allows users to play games via the internet, as a way for people to play older games. Now Microsoft is open to the same method of backward compatibility, but Penello did not say how. "Because what the cloud can do is sort of hard to pin," he said. "Using our Azure cloud servers, sometimes it's things like voice processing. It could be more complicated things like rendering full games like a Gaikai and delivering it to the box."

In the same interview, Penello also acknowledged that the Xbox One is the most expensive console this season and that price will not be the determining factor on which console people buy. "I think we do more," he said. "I think our games are better...I just believe that we're going to have a better system."

Microsoft confirmed yesterday that it will support the Xbox 360 for three more years. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127450-Microsofts-Mehdi-Xbox-360-Still-Has-3-Years-Of-Life-In-It]

Source: IGN [http://au.gamespot.com/features/microsoft-talks-digital-only-future-kinect-and-why-xbox-one-is-worth-100-more-than-playstation-4-6413920/?page=2 ]

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Wouldn't be much of a stretch. The Xbox One has proven to be nothing if not completely backtrack compatible.

Sicht

Jun 4, 2011
Yet another thing they've decided to reverse their policy on. Anyone remember the thing that was said?"if you want backwards compatibility then you are backwards. there's a console for people who do want backwards compatitiblity. it's called the xbox360."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
A possibility.

Weasel talk for It's not going to happen, but we'll promise anything if it makes you buy our hardware.

These open ended maybes never amount to anything, if Gaikai takes off I can see Microsoft scrambling around for a streaming service, but I see that being another Zune service...

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Well to be fair, people have been complaining that the next consoles aren't backwards compatible, so even with the restrictions, this could be very beneficial for Microsoft. Especially, since who knows that's going to happen to the 360 after 3 or so years.

I'm still not getting one though.

subtlefuge said:
Wouldn't be much of a stretch. The Xbox One has proven to be nothing if not completely backtrack compatible.
lol

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
roseofbattle said:

In the same interview, Penello also acknowledged that the Xbox One is the most expensive console this season and that price will not be the determining factor on which console people buy. "I think we do more," he said. "I think our games are better...I just believe that we're going to have a better system."

Sure the price wont help make up peoples minds on which console they want... Just keep telling yourself that Microsoft.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Oh really? I thought people who wanted backwards compatibility were backwards?
Don't forget that quote comes from the man who, knowing in advance that he was jumping ship, willingly and actively destroyed all remaining credibility that Microsoft had.

Honestly at this point both consoles are almost identical. The biggest difference is the amount of goodwill gamers are willing to give each company.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Honestly at this point both consoles are almost identical. The biggest difference is the amount of goodwill gamers are willing to give each company.
I agree... Sony, as now, is having a reborn in trust and goodwill unlike the time they launch the PS3 (truly learning about past mistakes or learning to shut the fuck up? hard to say but either way it's PR is doing a good job) meanwhile Microsoft keeps building hate wich each new interview of their staff

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
roseofbattle said:

Oh Sony, don't you ever learn? This is what you said last time about the PS3, and look what happened to you.

Oh, wait, it's Microsoft. Never mind. I guess history really is doomed to repeat itself. You'd think they would have learned from their competitions mistake, but Microsoft isn't exactly known for brilliance, is it?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Johnny Wishbone said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Don't forget that quote comes from the man who, knowing in advance that he was jumping ship, willingly and actively destroyed all remaining credibility that Microsoft had.
I see. First Mattrick was a visionary that was misunderstood by a small, vocal minority. Then he was just an incompetent boob that could screw up boiling water. Now, he's a deliberate asshole that was out to sink the whole thing because he was on his way out. It's a conspiracy!!!

I would call you a fanboy, but then I'd be accused of trolling. Instead, just keep deluding yourself. That'll make you feel better.
Why can't he be all of the above? He may have good ideas, but he's completely screwed them all up, insulting his player base to cover for it. Not a fanboy, just a pc/xbox dude who thinks Mattrick has never really done anything good in the last few years. He was just one of the big pieces in Microsoft's recent muck of a PR system.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
In other news Microsoft will say anything to sell products and is often lying to everyone..... Some people call it back pedaling they call it Thursday.....

Alatari

Mar 6, 2013
Of course it could be XBox (the first one) compatible right out of the box, as both systems are essentially PCs. Can't see it happening though. They just want to resell us the same games over again...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If price isn't going to matter to customers, why not increase it by another $100 and make more profit? After all, you believe you have a better system and that it has better games. So that is added value and a measly $200 difference in price wouldn't shake the unwavering loyalty of Microsoft consumers!

More on topic, I wouldn't be suprised if this backwards streaming service had it's own subscription price. Adding yet more costs value to the Xbone. Obviously Sony are up to the same tricks so they aren't really off the hook either.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
"Because what the cloud can do is sort of hard to pin," he said. "Using our Azure cloud servers, sometimes it's things like voice processing. It could be more complicated things like rendering full games like a Gaikai and delivering it to the box."
I'm sorry, this IS the digital cloud we're talking about, right? Not some arcane magical cloud that has to be woven by warlocks? Amazing how we're now treating the cloud like some mysterious entity rather than a fucking internet server...

Anyway...

This is... good, I suppose, but isn't the most important part of BC letting people use their old games from their last console? You know, so you're buying an UPGRADE, not a REPLACEMENT video game console?

In any case, unless this is just going to be an excuse to resell us the same games again rather than let us play ones we already own, it'll still be a bonus to the system.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
This is the equivalent of buffing dents out of a totaled car. The damage is so done by this point that even things like this pale in comparison to the monument of issues. On another note:

subtlefuge said:
That was funny.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Even if it was an absolute assurance it still wouldn't shift my position on that paperweight. No way in hell.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Infernal Lawyer said:
"Because what the cloud can do is sort of hard to pin," he said. "Using our Azure cloud servers, sometimes it's things like voice processing. It could be more complicated things like rendering full games like a Gaikai and delivering it to the box."
I'm sorry, this IS the digital cloud we're talking about, right? Not some arcane magical cloud that has to be woven by warlocks? Amazing how we're now treating the cloud like some mysterious entity rather than a fucking internet server...
Pretty sure they think those are the same thing.

Honestly, I thought this was old news. I'm pretty sure I had heard this a while ago. And Sony, as noted in the article, has said the same. Not holding my breath on either, though.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
If they go the route Sony took, and make old games available to play iff you buy them again it's not really "Backwards Compatible", it's more akin to an updated re-release ala Beyond Good and Evil HD.

While not a bad thing, it's not what is usually meant when people say they want backwards compatibility.

Microsoft, I want to be able to minimize the number of large plastic boxes in front of my TV without diminishing my current games library.