Xbox One Debuts This November [UPDATE]

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
*looking up from steam platform*

Console gamers getting ripped off? Bizness as usual.

*returns to costume quest on steam*

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Hmm, I immediately thought that maybe there would be some resale value in the day one consoles. Then I realized that even if an exclusive Xbone is something people would want, printing "Day One" on some controllers is practically the bare minimum you can do to make something exclusive.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Kumagawa Misogi said:
The PS3 launched with 2 versions one at $499 and one at $599 so this is launching at the same price as the smaller HDD version of the launch PS3.
Not everywhere it didn't.There was only one version available in Ireland at launch and it cost ?630

Ishigami said:
499? is okay.
I expected it between 400? and 500? as I do for the PS4. Maybe PS4 will be a bit cheaper but I wouldn't count on Sony going lower than 449?.
Also the US prices has been the EU price for ages. Accept it that the EU price includes sales tax and maybe other stuff like higher handling charges.
The release date is favourably.
No it's not ok.$499 = ?376.Even accounting for sales tax there is no way it should cost nearly ?130 more than the US are paying

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
TheKasp said:
fix-the-spade said:
Well, the german word is spelled "stumm", interesting to see the transition.

But yeah, they are most probably only talking about the basic model here. I really don't know what they are thinking, everything about this console reeks of stupidity. I never thought bad of any console owner before the XBoner, now I think it'll start with people who'll gulp down this pile of crap.
Yeah, Germanisms are quite trendy in the US language. Something to keep in mind when the schadenfreude kicks in when the sales figures of the xbone are inevitably below the PS4 (and hopefully WiiU).

OT: Yikes... $499, which means 499? here. And if I remember it right, Xbox Live has a monthly fee? So no online capabilities until you mine your wallet even harder? Nice. And those MIND-BLOWING TV features... are they included or do they require extra payments?

Oh boy, nothing say "excitement" like starving myself for two months to pay for an Orwellian nightmare.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
synobal said:
Microsoft was able to get the price so low because the NSA is covering part of the manufacture cost for each Xbox One console.
Just going to leave this here

OT: yeah they could sell it for $5 and I would not get this DRM/spyware/internet required/webcam required crap and put it in my home willingly.

PC!!!!!!!! I AM COMING BACK TO YOU MY FIRST LOVE!!!!!!!

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
£430, yeah fuck it I'm buying a pc, I need a new one anyway, this one has a broken optical drive, the arrow keys are bust, I'm missing the total war series and that crusader kings 2 thing looks awesome. Huh look at that an actual game making me buy a gaming device who'd thunk it.

You know that whole PC gaming master race thing always used to annoy me but now it seems more fun.

Edit: Also just checked amason, £55 a game bollocks to that and i know i spelt that wrong but apparently the 26th letter of the alphabet has also broken, definitely a PC then.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I make pretty good money, but I wouldn't drop any money on this console. Even if it were cheaper... it would have to be pretty cheap in order for this to be worth my while.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
The way I see it, there are two outcomes to this: either the PS4 is a reasonable price and I'll buy it, or it's more expensive and I'll have another good reason to get a new computer.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
My guess is the PS4 is either going to go with 449.99 or 499.99 for a US price tag. They might go lower.

I guess the Xbone is now the MS attempt to get people to go back to buying their Operating System and get out of the Console Market.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I don't see how they can justify the UK price tag as it's £100 more than what the US guys are paying, hell even the rest of the EU guys are being ripped off $499 = 377 euro (at time of writing). On top of that you have to pay for a gold membership?

I'm not planning on buying a console (i have a pretty badass pc) but if sony were to even charge the same but the correct amounts for the EU/UK they'd probably win the 1 vs 1 that is the console wars (not including WiiU since it always comes down to these 2).

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
MarsProbe said:
Pre-order bonuses for consoles now? Really? Still, I suppose it may have it's benefits. At least it'll help identify who needs to be sterilised for the sake of the future of humanity, just by checking what kind of Xbone controller they own.
aaah, but feast your eyes on this ---> "An exclusive achievement will also come with the package" o_0 #facepalm

[link]http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-preorder-comes-with-special-controller-255915.phtml[/link]

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
It's only $599 in Australia... that's actually a lower Australia tax than usual. The 360 was $650 here at launch (and the PS3 was $999)

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
FargoDog said:
It costs £430 in the UK and $499 in the EU.

For all you economics fans out there, that means it's $160 dollars more expensive outside the US.

Yeah, fuck you Microsoft.
It would be cheaper to buy an American one and have it shipped over.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Welp, that price point isn't going down well here in the UK for one simple reason. I can build a computer in that price range with similar specs and... yknow... have a computer with all the advantages over the xbone that entails.

Nail? Meet coffin.

Danny Ocean said:
FargoDog said:

For all you economics fans out there, that means it's $160 dollars more expensive outside the US.

But it's going to be region-locked no doubt, how does Live work on an imported 360 anyway?

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
Danny Ocean said:
FargoDog said:

I was thinking that might be a great way to make some quick cash (if you have the capital) but I think they are region locked.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
30 seconds of googling later...
[HEADING=1]Cheap Bastard Gaming PC![/HEADING]
[sub]Click for source.[/sub]
[http://www.gamersnexus.net/pcbuilds/tag/budget/$0-$499/]

And you can do it cheaper if you already have some of the parts, which you probably do if you're reading this.

Spend some of the difference on a better graphics card/CPU/whatever. Find a techy friend to help. Everybody knows one.

Well, Microsoft, looks like you dun goofed.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
TheEvilCheese said:
But it's going to be region-locked no doubt, how does Live work on an imported 360 anyway?
MrWunderful said:
I was thinking that might be a great way to make some quick cash (if you have the capital) but I think they are region locked.
They are indeed region locked, it has been confirmed.

Given the technological uniformity and centralised software-manipulation capability they have, the only reason I can think of that they'd be region locked is specifically to squeeze every last Sterling, Euro, and Renminbi out of everyone else on the fucking planet.

It's a cartel, conspiring to create protectionist barriers to free trade. If you can make that case strongly enough to the US, they are obliged by the treaties they are involved in with the rest of the WTO to intervene and drop the barrier.

America, get your corporations under control. They're pissing everyone else off.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
WaitWHAT said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Exchange rates?

How do they work?

How does $499 translate to £430?
It's the tax we pay for not being 'Murica. It's totally worth it.

OT: It's not like I'm buying one anyway. PS3 XBOX one has no games.
Actually that parody isn't quite right: It's missing a fitness magazine.