Xbox One Designed "With Advertising in Mind"

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
unstabLized said:
And here I was, thinking they were fixing themselves up! Glad they're not, it's more fun to watch stuff crash and burn from a PC chair when it comes to the Xbone (No offence to console users). I can so imagine the ad with the voices.

"Xbox, launch CoD: Ghosts"

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADOPT A PUPPY FROM YOUR NEAREST ANIMAL SHELTER? POGO IS JUST LOOKING FOR A LOVELY HOME!"
Thank you for being a PC user whose actually nice to console users. I appreciate the no offense statement.

Like last generation and the one before, and the one before that. I'll stick with my main boys Nintendo and Sony. Sony for the games that are made with Triple AAA backing, I.E Metal Gear Rising, DMC4, so on. And Nintendo because I'll never stop being a sucker for more Kirby and Mario games.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
Why don't you just pull the ethernet cord? I did that and the console defaults to my offline account and starts on the "play (insert game here)" tile with blank squares where the ads would be. I feel much better now.
I mainly played Bethesda RPGs so I would need the updates in some cases, and I will admit that I liked the Party Chat feature for the 360. Nowadays though my 360 is in a box and I'm on either my PS3, PS2, PC, or Wii more than my 360. Although I use my Wii as a GameCube mainly, and there is a 3rd party peripheral that adds an HDMI port to the Wii and it works perfectly (used it when LPing Luigi's Mansion and I didn't have to forcefully stretch the picture in editing).

Edit: I also find this video to be both funny and appropriate.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
i remeber reading an article, on here i think, about comments made by an economist, i think, he was talking about how CoD could have made way more money if they had made it a subscription instead of a one time payment and went on to compare it to WoW. i am unsure if he was aware of the differing infrastructure between an mmo and a fps hosted on peoples home system instead of a server, or if he was aware of the play habits of all people involved and what sort of drop off in numbers you would see if you could only play when you payed and no more casual picking up and playing the game on a whim.

all the crap i hear day in day out about what MS are doing keeps bringing to mind said comments. they bring in someone to help maximise porfits and get the most out of everything they can. because money is good but more money is better sort of thing. wring every last drop they can from gamers and sometimes it feels like they have let those people have too free a rein on what should be done or they have too much influence with the powers that be.

who knows maybe i am reading too much into this but if my gut feels are right they could really regret, down the line, giving so much faith in the numbers wile disregarding the people behind them.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
This kind of thing is exactly what I hated about Microsoft when it came to the 360. Before, there were practically no ads on the dashboard. Now, the dashboard is covered in them.

Seems like they're taking things one step further with the whole hidden banner thing, and I just can't support that.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Actually, the worst thing about this isn't that MS is doing these things, it's that through constant press releases, they keep the defects of their console in public memory. The internet forgets fast, but you're keeping up well, Microsoft.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Was going to just post a video of someone laughing themselves into a coma but that probably would have not been enoiugh content and, well, someone beat me to it anyways.
Had a sliver of hope that they might have learned from the whole "forced to change our entire console direction" thing they had to deal with, but guess not. Not that I ever was going to buy a Xbox to begin with, but this has gone from looking at something as "glad I never bought that" to "oh my god, those poor souls who were going to buy that" to "you know what, I hope they bend you over the table if you are stupid enough to buy that". At this point, unless you live under a rock, there is no excuse to not seeing the product design as anything but horribly anti-consumer and if you still want to buy it, well, even if I think you are perpetuating that bullshit for the rest of us to deal with, I will just shake my head and let you, knowing full well that you are hurting yourself far more.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
rodneyy said:
i remeber reading an article, on here i think, about comments made by an economist, i think, he was talking about how CoD could have made way more money if they had made it a subscription instead of a one time payment and went on to compare it to WoW.
In fairness, CoD is prettymuch the same game every year, so I think a single disc release with some DLC and an expansion pack every year or two would work well for it.

OT: CAPITALISM, HO! Urgh. This is why I hate big companies. This stuff should be illegal.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Oh man :D This is fantastic. I've never been an Xbox person, and up till recently I ignored most of the news surrounding this whole malarkey, but now... This is pure gold. Corporate gold. I wonder, how much does this little, shitty machine have to fuck you over in order for you people not to buy it? Ballpark.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
When the DRM was dropped I was open to the idea of getting an Xbox One instead of a PS4 but news like this only reinforces the belief that I would be much better off going with Sony.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Jinxzy said:
"With the new Xbox One, the technology and Kinect has improved a lot, so that actually the voice recognition, the way you speak to your Xbox and the transition between gaming and watching TV is a lot smoother, and hopefully we can transpire that into advertising that we do." He went on to say that the new Xbox One dashboard was designed "with advertising in mind."
I'm tired of seeing the little videos on advertisement on the current xbox dash board. Because currently my xbox is saying I'm a female and I get ads about maxi pads,shampoo and razors. While my boyfriend gets Wendy's, dr pepper and old spice. When I go to play I don't want to be reminded of my woman problems, thanks xbox...

If the xbox one picked up my voice and showed me a 3 minute clip or twilight or beverly hills housewives....
There would be no ending to my rage and hate....
When I read the article my first thought was to make the rather racist/insulting joke -- If I say "yo dawg" a lot will I start seeing KFC commercials?

I didn't realize how close to the mark I was.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
lol

This is some where between sad and funny as hell. They just keep piling reasons on this thing to avoid it, even AFTER they back-peddled on the online and DRM issue.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Ed130 said:
I KNEW IT!

And those sheep called me paranoid!

Seriously, those that didn't see this coming are morons.
Yep.

In other news:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA x 1000

Funny Microsoft. You're sooooo cute when you try to polish your TurdBox One with diarrhea.

CoffeeScamp

Sep 22, 2009
I'm half-expecting Microsoft's next step will be to announce that the Xbox One requires you to select and watch an advert before you can launch your game, or even that it will interrupt you every hour of playtime with another ad.
The Kinect camera would then be used to make sure you really do watch their adverts: turning away from the screen would result in the advert pausing until you "choose" to carry on. No skipping!

Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror anyone?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Neronium said:
And thus what I knew from the start happens again. Seriously one of the reasons why I stopped using my Xbox was because the Dashboard was so filled with advertisements it was sad. I mean, I'm on a gaming console to play games, not to see advertisements galore! >.<

Also, yes I did have it so that the Xbox would automatically start the game so then I wouldn't have to deal with it, but I had to go to the store sometimes unfortunately.
and that's two problems in one: the adverts and the content. It's not just lacing our experience with ads but also putting games on the back burner. On a gaming console that was already doing a poor job with prioritisation in the first place.

In short: DO NOT WANT!

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Can someone go threw all of the Xbox One articles and count how many times they say "It's part of the experience?" It has got to be up there in the triple digits.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
It has ads that you pay to get, isn't that fun! Only a totally evil mega corporation could make you pay for ads.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
So what happens if I just keep screaming "Fuck Ads" at my hypothetical Xbox periodically.

ThatQuietGuy

May 22, 2013
Plot twist: EA is paying Microsoft to be horrible so they look better by comparison.

Damn EA is evil...

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
It's like they see ads like some sort of feature.
Sometimes i wonder what on earth their PR is doing.

Draconalis said:
So what happens if I just keep screaming "Fuck Ads" at my hypothetical Xbox periodically.
My guess would be some very NSFW ads.