Xbox One Designed "With Advertising in Mind"

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Hey, Microsoft! When they say "go for broke" this isn't what they mean... unless your trying really hard to actually be broke.

Kungfusam

Jun 26, 2013
I'm willing to bet its not as bad as it sounds, still at this point it looks like Microsoft is doing there best to sell the PS4

Severian

Jun 13, 2013
They're basically advertising that their new console is an advertising machine. LOL, What a bunch of monsters. Also, idiots.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ohh, I really want to buy this just to see if it is possible to troll it.

Hmm, I think I am coming down with a sudden case of Tourettes.

beez

May 21, 2013
Desert Punk said:
RatherDull said:
Seriously, we pay 500 dollars and pay for Xbox Live and you're STILL charging us out the asshole. This cannot end well.
This bears repeating.

You want to charge me half a G, 60 dollars a game, AND CHARGE ME FOR ONLINE PLAY, then, ontop of it all, you want to put advertisements on my console AND spy on me to try to target those ads better?

Fucking seriously?

For some reason Microsocks seems to be hell-bent on making every press release and public conference dig their new products' grave deeper and deeper. Maybe they decided to see how low they can sink before the crusade starts.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
This Kinnect thing always been my Number 1 problems about the X-Box one, and my fear seem to become reallity... I sure wont buy one of thouse

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Thanks for putting me in a good mood before getting the groceries, Steven.
There is more fun on the horizon.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
And the Xbone continues the trend of being everything bad about a gaming PC with none of the positives. Hell, ads on the PC are the price you pay for games/services being free. Making me look at the trailer for the latest in spunk gargle wee wee when I've already paid a few hundred quid up front plus a subscription fee and the price of each game is beyond cheeky.

But that barely needs saying at this point...what I would like to ask is if the Escapist could start using a different picture for their Xbone-related news articles? I know I've got no right to demand this, but I'm just so sick of that guy's fucking face and his stringy little coif.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
You have adverts on cable, when you pay for it. You have adverts on pages on the internet and you pay for the use of the internet. As long as the adverts arnt in your face and obstructive, then i dont really care. I think this site needs to calm down and wait till an actual XBone is unboxed and plugged in and we can see how it works. What the advert part is like and other features. An then decide. XBone is like a Nazi Swastika - as in when you see it your brain automatically connects it with negative things.

I understand, you, like me, are fans of 360. It sucks that MS is giving us so many reasons to NOT by the XBone. Its like meeting the girl you love, and then out comes all these negatives and you are conflicted about how many negatives you can accept before you throw in the towel.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
I give the Xbone ... four ... no, five days after launch before they "alter" their advertising strategy, because that is how long it will take before some parent flips out and sues Microsoft because an ad for an adult website or gun shop appeared on their 8 year-old's Dashboard because he's been playing Grand Theft Auto all weekend.

Desert Punk said:
The first ads on Xbox One: "Have you considered the Playstation 4?"
That would be awesome!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
The marketing department must be just getting a big wheel of stuff the Xbox One is for and throwing darts to decide which parts to divulge and which not to.

SonOfVoorhees said:
You have adverts on cable, when you pay for it. You have adverts on pages on the internet and you pay for the use of the internet.
That is not an excuse.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
008Zulu said:
Ohh, I really want to buy this just to see if it is possible to troll it.

Hmm, I think I am coming down with a sudden case of Tourettes.
Dude, you made my day! I laughed for a solid 15 minutes!

What wonder kinds of ads would you get after cursing violently at your Kinect? "Visit our Website; Anger Management in 12 Easy Steps", "Have you considered buying the book '27 ways to Improve your vocabulary'?", "Talk to your doctor about this new medicine that is proven to prevent embarrassing outbursts"

And what happens if you start being polite to it? Does it lock your account because it things it has been compromised? "You are not being beligerant or crude. You are, therefore, not the owner of this account and will be banned from playing any games on this console until you can prove you are the owner of this account." &*@$*%!* "Welcome back, Player!"

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Wow Microsoft, you've already sold us on your new product and now you just keep making things better. I want to get one of these on launch, heck make that two.

Now reverse the sentiment of that paragraph. It's like they actively want us to hate their product isn't it?

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
luvd1 said:
The more I see Microsoft these days the more I am reminded of the end of the Simpsons episode "the old man and Lisa".
Mind explaining this, just I remember the episode, but what party is MS?
It's the one where mr burns goes bankrupt and Lisa shows him that he doesn't have to be so evil to succeed so she teaches him about recycling and being kind to the environment. A changed man, he builds up his forture again by picking up litter and selling it for recycling till he has enough money to build a factory made from and uses pure recyc in honor of his new friend Lisa... That uses plastic beer rings to make a huge net for fishing the local seas which is then turned into pet food. He thinks he's doing good when he is infact doing even greater evil. It's my favourt episode.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
babinro said:
There's already plenty of ads on the PS3 and 360.
I see no reason to get upset by this non-specific information.
I think the biggest issues are:

- it being designed with advertising in mind
- the kinect listening to all words in order to tailor ads to you, when it's only supposed to be listening for "key words" related to its function. Which even if true meant that it was listening to all words and simply "disregarding" the non "key words."

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
luvd1 said:
It's the one where mr burns goes bankrupt and Lisa shows him that he doesn't have to be so evil to succeed so she teaches him about recycling and being kind to the environment. A changed man, he builds up his forture again by picking up litter and selling it for recycling till he has enough money to build a factory made from and uses pure recyc in honor of his new friend Lisa... That uses plastic beer rings to make a huge net for fishing the local seas which is then turned into pet food. He thinks he's doing good when he is infact doing even greater evil. It's my favourt episode.
Alright, Cheers, just needed some context in order to fully understand what you were getting at.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Desert Punk said:
You want to charge me half a G, 60 dollars a game, AND CHARGE ME FOR ONLINE PLAY, then, ontop of it all, you want to put advertisements on my console AND spy on me to try to target those ads better?

Fucking seriously?
Objection! They said $60 for FIRST PARTY games. I don't think they've mentioned how much 3rd party games will cost. Which gives me reason to think they will cost more.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
I've tried explaining this crap to people at work and why to jsut avoid the Xbox and get a PS4 or join me and I'll help them build a tower. No luck. Why? "All my friends play on Xbox and I think it's a good console." That is why we call "not listening." They are completely fine with this crap.

erbi79

Apr 21, 2013
I am really a big MS hateboy BUT they actually managed to make me concerned about them... oO

Wth is going on with their PR department? Why would you even announce this?
And again, what I really don't understand, if you DO announce it, at least make it somewhat tasty... even if they are lies or only half truths, say what WE get out of this, why should WE think this is not a bad thing...

Or at least wait until the dust has settled on your previous blunders...

maybe they are running a bet or something... We can make all the wrong decisions, announce the like they are awesome without explaining why they would be awesome and people will still buy our product en masse!

The sad thing is they would probably win this bet...

Wow is all I can say really, MS please get your stuiff together because I was really getting tired ranting on you, but you can't let a week pass without something new to butch about... oh gods...