Xbox One DRM Crashes Killer Instinct Tournament

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Xbox One DRM Crashes Killer Instinct Tournament

An Xbox One license query brought a tournament to a sudden halt - and the whole ordeal was captured on the live stream.

DRM is almost never good news for consumers. At best, it's only a minor annoyance for legitimate customers, but at its worst... well, stuff like this happens. A qualifying tournament featuring competitive Killer Instinct was brought to a standstill when Microsoft DRM closed the game in the middle of the semifinals match and demanded a check-in. A live stream of the match on Twitch.tv recorded the interruption [http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/b/486682548?t=3h44m02s], which stalled the tournament for several minutes before being resolved. You can watch it happen in the video right here, around the 6:30 mark.

The debacle occurred during a qualifying tournament for New York City's Defend The North pro gaming event. The contestants played several rounds in the semifinals before the Xbox One abruptly closed Killer Instinct and returned to the home screen, where it prompted the users for authentication of game ownership. The players were baffled, and it took about four minutes before the game could be successfully restarted.

Presumably this issue arose because the game was being played in a different Xbox One console than it was originally registered on, though that does raise some questions about how to prevent this type of problem in the future. Microsoft ditched its initial concept of 24-hour check-in DRM, but clearly the current model isn't exactly flexible. The query didn't appear to give players a chance to save their game before closing it entirely, so if this particular issue crops up again, it could cost users more than just four minutes of fiddling.

Source: Twitch.tv [http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/b/486682548?t=3h44m02s]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
heh

If anyone is surprised by this I would be shocked, MS made it pretty clear the Xbone they initially showed was the one they really wanted to release so it's no surprise this would happen sooner or later.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
This, is a very good thing. Stay with me on this one. This is going to go as nuclearly viral as it will go, and as a result, Microsoft are going to make many more beneficial changes (for us) to the console to try to sooth over and restore good will.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
008Zulu said:
This, is a very good thing. Stay with me on this one. This is going to go as nuclearly viral as it will go, and as a result, Microsoft are going to make many more beneficial changes (for us) to the console to try to sooth over and restore good will.
While you are (probably) right, it's depressing that large corporations need to be burned like this in order to learn.

Shaidz

Jul 8, 2012
This Gen is dead to me... PC, oh baby, take me back, I'M SORRY!! I know now, you are better, PLEASE! I WAS WONG, GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE!

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Cognimancer said:
The query didn't appear to give players a chance to save their game before closing it entirely,
Of course it didn't, because why would you give filthy, game-stealing pirates a chance to save there game? It's not as if DRM ever negatively affects loyal customers...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I swear I've seen this before...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.837057-Xbox-One-24-Hour-Check-DRM-Returns#20520008

IDK, it's almost like deja vu.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Tanis said:
I swear I've seen this before...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.837057-Xbox-One-24-Hour-Check-DRM-Returns#20520008

IDK, it's almost like deja vu.
Y'know, some people don't actually read the gaming discussion board. o.o As has been pointed out before when this issue is brought up, a bunch of people just poke around the news section for interesting stories, without having it mixed in with random discussions on the favorite games or other subjects. So adding a thread here just means that the news gets spread further! :3

Also reasonably certain you can't copyright forum posts. <.< I've checked with the lawyers.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Ed130 said:
008Zulu said:
While you are (probably) right, it's depressing that large corporations need to be burned like this in order to learn.
Hey, better we get some laughs for being right then them benefiting from being wrong, amiright or amiright?

And so the issues before the xbone's 180 are still prevalent in a way.
Hopefully this will come off as a lesson to Microsoft that their DRM was garbage and even the remnants of it is proof that we legitimate consumers were right. >:)
Lest next gen be anymore BS then it already is.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Pretty much sums up DRM for me. A minor annoyance at best, a travesty at worst, and not fucking needed at all.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
Don't know why everyone is whining so much about Microsoft & DRM anymore, the Xbox One has pretty much the same DRM as 360, PS3 and PS4.
360 & One Secondary consoles need 24-hour check in to play.
PS3 & PS4 Secondary consoles need to be always online.
Which is just for digital Download games, Disc based games just have a standard Disk-check on all consoles.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Oh Microsoft, you're so wacky.

Even once we all called you on your nonsense, you still keep it dear to your heart, and you will be damned before you give up DRM.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
There's something wrong with a console when stuff like this happens. I mean, this just points out its flaws

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Microsoft, treating customers like ex-convicts that must report in to their parole officers.

Ugh.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
PC's, all is forgiven. I will learn how to build one, I will study the ins-and-outs of your magical ways. I will forsake Windows for the glory of Linux. Just, please, for the love of God, allow us to play games without putting up with horseshit shenanigans of consoles like the Xbone!

Tentaquil

Oct 21, 2011
Mr. Q said:
PC's, all is forgiven. I will learn how to build one, I will study the ins-and-outs of your magical ways. I will forsake Windows for the glory of Linux. Just, please, for the love of God, allow us to play games without putting up with horseshit shenanigans of consoles like the Xbone!
Yes my child, all are welcome to the hallowed halls of the Computron. Come, join your fellow PC Ubermensch, so that we may usher in a glorious new age of gaming

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Mr. Q said:
Well with GFWL going the way of the Dodo, if you don't mind Steam, Origin and Uplay as DRM 'services' and GOG for free-range games then you're going to love PC.