Xbox One DRM Crashes Killer Instinct Tournament

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Ed130 said:
Mr. Q said:
PC's, all is forgiven. I will learn how to build one, I will study the ins-and-outs of your magical ways. I will forsake Windows for the glory of Linux. Just, please, for the love of God, allow us to play games without putting up with horseshit shenanigans of consoles like the Xbone!
Well with GFWL going the way of the Dodo, if you don't mind Steam, Origin and Uplay as DRM 'services' and GOG for free-range games then you're going to love PC.
ORIGIN?!?! AS IN EA'S ORIGIN?!?

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I just don't get why they keep doing this shit, I mean, If I were to play a pirate version of a game on the Xbone, there would be a way to hack it in order to avoid any of this dumbass prompts. There will always be someone out there that will outsmart ANY "anti-pirating" crap and make that the most playable version of them all.

It's just like when I called it on the "Simcity can't be played offline" and then there it was, working as it always should've.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Mr. Q said:
Ed130 said:
Mr. Q said:
PC's, all is forgiven. I will learn how to build one, I will study the ins-and-outs of your magical ways. I will forsake Windows for the glory of Linux. Just, please, for the love of God, allow us to play games without putting up with horseshit shenanigans of consoles like the Xbone!
Well with GFWL going the way of the Dodo, if you don't mind Steam, Origin and Uplay as DRM 'services' and GOG for free-range games then you're going to love PC.

hugs Mr.Q

I'm sorry for mentioning it, I try to be open minded when giving out advice.

Personally I don't plan on ever using it, the general lack of any sort of quality from EA these days is the biggest reason.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
That's hilarious :D

Tentaquil said:
Yes my child, all are welcome to the hallowed halls of the Computron. Come, join your fellow PC Ubermensch, so that we may usher in a glorious new age of gaming
Dammit, you're ruining everything!

Shaidz said:
This Gen is dead to me... PC, oh baby, take me back, I'M SORRY!! I know now, you are better, PLEASE! I WAS WONG, GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE!
Mr. Q said:
AKHEM!
What my PC comrade tried to say is that you are welcome as long as you know your place younglings
You will have initiation ceremony as soon as you'll deserve your place among Computron worshipers
Until then you will do our biddings and pay monthly members fee (29.99$)
May the great Computron bless you!

See, Tentaquil, that is how you greet new members.
You can't just accept anyone, we're not some peasants after all.
Only those who have proved themselves may join our ranks

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Uhh guys you realize this is the same on 360.... secondary consoles need the license check. To play castle crashers at my bros I gotta log onto my live account.

Much ado about absolutely nothing.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
sneakypenguin said:
Uhh guys you realize this is the same on 360.... secondary consoles need the license check. To play castle crashers at my bros I gotta log onto my live account.

That doesn't make it a good thing.

Infact it just makes it worse.

Tentaquil

Oct 21, 2011
blackrave said:
See, Tentaquil, that is how you greet new members.
You can't just accept anyone, we're not some peasants after all.
Only those who have proved themselves may join our ranks
My apologies. Obviously, they will need to prove themselves by naming all 200 parts of the holy instrument, as well as their individual functions. Then they must pass the holy gauntlet of Ultima, by playing all games back-to-back on hardest difficulty without changing starting gear. Cos' all of us current PC-uberbenutzer have accomplished these with ease.

We will cleanse the world of foul consoles and their dv-demon spawn

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
l3o2828 said:
sneakypenguin said:

Isnt' it kind of needed though otherwise any game i have suddenly everyone I know can have for free no limits?

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
sneakypenguin said:
l3o2828 said:
sneakypenguin said:

Isnt' it kind of needed though otherwise any game i have suddenly everyone I know can have for free no limits?
I'm not saying there should be no limit, but this system is just restrictive and just downright annoying.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Ed130 said:
Mr. Q said:
Ed130 said:
Mr. Q said:

hugs Mr.Q

I'm sorry for mentioning it, I try to be open minded when giving out advice.

Personally I don't plan on ever using it, the general lack of any sort of quality from EA these days is the biggest reason.
It's quite all right, man.

hugs Ed130 back.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Morti said:
Cognimancer said:
The query didn't appear to give players a chance to save their game before closing it entirely,
Of course it didn't, because why would you give filthy, game-stealing pirates a chance to save there game? It's not as if DRM ever negatively affects loyal customers...
Thank goodness. These tournament players were clearly filthy pirates that are bringing these poor multinational corporations to their knees because DRM totally only ever stops pirates and never ever has any negative effect on honest paying customers.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
l3o2828 said:
sneakypenguin said:
l3o2828 said:
sneakypenguin said:

I'm not saying there should be no limit, but this system is just restrictive and just downright annoying.
I'd just have to disagree, online check in seems to be the relatively painless way to do things, especially if its 24 hours(internet is rarely down that long) and internet access is needed to transfer the profile/license anyway i'm pretty sure.

If I was designing a system i'm really not sure what else I would change, I mean allowing someone to put their digital game on any secondary xbox in the world is nice, requiring a 24 hour check seems to be the easiest way to protect the devs while allowing someone to do what they want with their game

The Xbox One in question here, was not the one originally used to download the game. If it were, the game would have been tied to that console?s ID (and the originating profile), and would never need to check for licences, functioning just fine without an internet connection. It?s actually more lax DRM than on the 360, which requires that the original purchaser be actively signed in for the game to be playable.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Grabehn said:
I just don't get why they keep doing this shit, I mean, If I were to play a pirate version of a game on the Xbone, there would be a way to hack it in order to avoid any of this dumbass prompts. There will always be someone out there that will outsmart ANY "anti-pirating" crap and make that the most playable version of them all.
I think this is less anti-pirating, and more to stop you from lending your games to others, since apparently it happened because they played the game on a different console it was registered on.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
sneakypenguin said:
l3o2828 said:
sneakypenguin said:

My big problem with it is that the game just closed. It didn't give a dialog warning, it didn't say "you have only 30 minutes before you need to check in!" It just up and closed the game.

Not to mention a 24 hour clock is a stupidly short time. I mean, Steam gives you like a full month and that hasn't stopped them from being the most successful digital distribution service ever.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Lieju said:
Grabehn said:
I think this is less anti-pirating, and more to stop you from lending your games to others, since apparently it happened because they played the game on a different console it was registered on.
That is what you have to understand here. The 24 hour check in is designed specifically so the person who owns the game will have to be there to play it, costumer convenience be damned. And I have no qualms with them wanting us to pay for their games. It is the costumer convenience be damned part I have a problem with.

Oh, and people should know, it appears this is not just for secondary Xbox's. I cannot confirm this yet because I didn't buy an Xbox One, but several users have reported that you need to log in every 24 hours even if you are playing your game on your Xbox. Can any Xbone users confirm this for us?

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
sneakypenguin said:
l3o2828 said:
sneakypenguin said:
l3o2828 said:
sneakypenguin said:

I'd just have to disagree, online check in seems to be the relatively painless way to do things, especially if its 24 hours(internet is rarely down that long) and internet access is needed to transfer the profile/license anyway i'm pretty sure.

If I was designing a system i'm really not sure what else I would change, I mean allowing someone to put their digital game on any secondary xbox in the world is nice, requiring a 24 hour check seems to be the easiest way to protect the devs while allowing someone to do what they want with their game

The Xbox One in question here, was not the one originally used to download the game. If it were, the game would have been tied to that console?s ID (and the originating profile), and would never need to check for licences, functioning just fine without an internet connection. It?s actually more lax DRM than on the 360, which requires that the original purchaser be actively signed in for the game to be playable.
Why not do what Sony did with the PS3 then? You only needed to be online to download the game, then every profile on the system has full access to the game in question. Instead of having a check every 24 hours, each PSN account recognizes a set number of devices. I have a few friends who cut down on their game purchases because they have their accounts recognized on each others' consoles, so they'll essentially rotate who's turn it is to buy a game. It's also why I have about 10 games downloaded on my PS3 despite only personally buying 2 of them. Including 3 games for a PSN account that doesn't even exist anymore, but because my system was designated as "okay to use the license for these games" I can still play anyway. Or just do what Steam does and have a month for check-in time.

OT: I've been seeing people talk about this happening on different forums, and so far it seems that almost all the reports of this happening are for Killer Instinct, with the last little bit of reports being for digital downloads of AAA games. At this point I'm not sure if it's an issue with the Xbone or if it's something with downloadable titles or even just Killer Instinct alone. Either way, if this continues to be "normal" then you can kiss pretty much any chance that Killer Instinct will become a regular tournament game goodbye.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little giddy when I see stuff like this happen. But then, I still have enough faith in humanity to believe that someone somewhere, if not Microsoft themselves, would take it as a sign that they should avoid creating scenarios where this stuff can happen.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Chaosritter said:
You know what the irony is? This wouldn't have happened with a pirated copy. :D
Yes, and this isn't it.

Irony would be Microsoft's DRM giving everyone free games.
Eh, they're both pretty ironic. No need to be competitive about it.