Xbox One Infographic Keeps It Simple, Sir

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Griffolion said:
Could someone edit the infographic to reflect reality, please? I'm sure the Escapist has some talented 'Shoppers.

Some of it is dead simple. Like removing the "y" from "Your Xbox One".
Here's my version:

Probably not as good as the other guy who beat me to the catch, but mine includes a dog peeing, and that's got to be worth something.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Elijah Newton said:
sirjeffofshort said:
Griffolion said:
Could someone edit the infographic to reflect reality, please? I'm sure the Escapist has some talented 'Shoppers.

Done and done...

DISCLAIMER: Personally not favoring any one system over another. It's just a joke.

[http://s250.photobucket.com/user/sirjeffofshort/media/593457.jpg.html]
Brilliantly done, sir. Can I suggest "You're Welcome" instead of "Your Welcome." I only pick the nit because it was so fun to read overall.
Good catch, fixed in OP.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Hero in a half shell said:
Griffolion said:

Here's my version:

Probably not as good as the other guy who beat me to the catch, but mine includes a dog peeing, and that's got to be worth something.
Hahaha, personally I think the greater amount of effort in yours shows. Kudos.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
About the only cool thing on there is being able to play games while they download, even steam doesn't let you do that. Other than that it's all crap.
Um, that's kind of untrue actually. If you tab out of your game, you can pause then unpause the game download which removes it from suspended mode, resume your game, and it continues downloading. Yeah, you shouldn't have to tab out to do that, but it's still possible.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Elijin said:
The pausing thing got super simplified, and people are jumping on the hate train. Since you know, it refers to the ability to pause a game, dashboard it, run some apps to check your sport scores, catch up on a bit of TV, head out for a break. Then come back and relaunch the game to the same point.
Those first two points? Can easily be done on a smart phone or a computer. Far easier, too, since I've tried some apps on the Xbox 360 and their controller simply is not made for this kind of stuff. Those other two points? ... Why the fuck would you leave your console on if you're not gonna play games on it? Maybe I'm some kind of weirdo, but when I'm not using my console, I tend to, you know, turn it off.

Not to mention that there are plenty of games out there, like many WRPGs, shooters, etc. that allow you to save whereever you are, or have an autosave feature meaning you lose all of five minutes of gameplay.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
sirjeffofshort said:
Didn't have any real comment to make. Just wanted to come into the thread to congratulate you on being awesome.

Hero in a half shell said:
Aw hell, yours is just as good. This has been a good day.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BrotherRool said:
The 'You don't need to be online to play games' seems a bit false considering they're pushing developers to use cloud computing as one of their 'features'
Yeah. "You can play offline! But only if you don't use this feature we are claiming justifies our power issues and that we're pushing on the devs!"

That's probably going to end up being worse than daily check-ins.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Because only a corporate schill would say that stripping consumers of their rights, eliminating their ability to control what they do with THEIR product, and forcing always online on an American infrastrcture that cannot support it, with a more expensive console, and advertising features that either barely work or are deliberately incorrect (like Game Sharing, since the games could only be shared if the Publisher allowed it, otherwise it was a crappy demo) is a good thing.
A corporate shill or, if I might propose a second option, a PC gamer. Though I suspect that's more Stockholm Sundrome than anything else.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"We're miserable, but we won't admit it, instead we want you to feel as miserable as the rest of us."
I'm not sure they even see it as a problem.

Look at me say "they." GTA V will be my first console game in almost a year.

It won't be a problem until people start losing games. There was a shitstorm over that one EA game whose servers were shut down a while back, and that was one game nobody liked (And I think it turned out the outage was temporary.

Imagine what happens when games they like truly go dark.

This is why I think the Stockholm Syndrome thing is so accurate. "But Gabe swears that if we do what he says, when Valve shuts down he'll let all the games go!"

So when they say they don't care, they're not so much thinking about what happens if the systems actually get shut down, they're thinking about right now, when they're so sure it'll never happen to them.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Hey, big M? While we're dealing in small words in big fonts, let me explain something seemingly obvious to you-all.

When Sony did this, as in the E3 "how to share" videos and so forth, it's because they were mocking you.

When you do it, especially in the wake of statements like the one from your director of product planning, it comes of as condescending to your would-be consumer base.

Okay, hang on. Smaller words:

Sony use small words. Sony make fun of you.

You use small words, you make fun of us.

You make fun of us, we not buy your stupid console.

BFEL

May 5, 2011
theApoc said:
Ok let me break this down for you.
Yes the concept of ownership is kinda weird in the video game world.
But that's not OUR fault.

No gamer has ever said "oh hey, I paid sixty bucks for [game name] and now I own the entire franchise to do whatever I want with it."

We are well aware that we don't own the IP of the game, however we DO own that particular copy of the game (the "license" as you called it) in the same way that if I went to a gas station and bought a Hershey bar I would own that Hershey bar, not the entire Hershey company.

Two of the major gripes about the weirdness of the ownership thing is that companies try and enforce DRM and anti-modding policies on gamers. This is a problem because they aren't enforcing it on the IP (the part they own) they are enforcing it on the "license" (the part WE own)

Lets go back to the Hershey bar metaphor.
Imagine you just bought said Hershey bar and then brought it home and dipped it in peanut butter. That tastes good right?
Well now Hershey is sueing you for modifying their product.
You know, the one you just bought?

This would of course be different if you bought a huge amount of Hershey bars and dipped them in peanut butter and then tried to sell them off as your own product.
Or if you stole the Hershey bar from the store.

But while those things (well the second one at least) happen in real life a lot, you had nothing to do with that.
And now Hershey is putting cameras on the wrappers and delivering electric shocks to people who chew with the wrong teeth or something, and that's not to punish the people who stole it, that's to punish EVERYONE.

And that's what Microsoft is doing, they are trying to justify treating their entire consumer base like inmates in a prison because of a few weirdos.

Not to mention the whole "repeatedly insulting their consumer base thing"

mKeRix

May contain sarcasm
Oct 17, 2010
How much is Microsoft paying you?

Because only a corporate schill would say that stripping consumers of their rights, eliminating their ability to control what they do with THEIR product, and forcing always online on an American infrastrcture that cannot support it, with a more expensive console, and advertising features that either barely work or are deliberately incorrect (like Game Sharing, since the games could only be shared if the Publisher allowed it, otherwise it was a crappy demo) is a good thing.

Again, how many countries get to use every feature on release day? Answer: 5.

Who is first in the mind's of Microsoft's team? Publisher, followed by advertisers. CONSUMERS ARE THIRD.

All of the negative was only removed after The Today Show lampooned them, and GameStop pre-orders for PS4 were 11 times greater at one point. So we should go ahead and forget about them trying to shaft us when they are constantly proving THEY LEARNED NOTHING?
They're paying me nothing. I am a Microsoft enthusiast because I like their products and they've been nothing but good to me. Just stop with the "how much is MS paying you" bs, I'm not asking you "how much is Sony paying you?" or Google or whatever either, am I?
I'll go ahead and say that yes, the XBox One policies are not perfect. They needed work. But that's always the case when someone is trying something new, isn't it? You keep on talking about how that would remove your rights and so on, but in fact, would it really have changed so much? You could've still shared your games, sold them and did all the things you can do today. Of course they were some limitations, but sharing would have been much easier as you wouldn't even have to give your friend the physical copy for example. You'd always have control over your games - MS is a big enough company to easily compete with Steam in terms of stability and availability. And Steam is something we all are big fans of, isn't it?
The full features thing is simply because voice control is complex, and it's really hard to get it to work for all languages. Competitor consoles don't offer voice control anywhere near the complexity the XBone has it. If you don't want to use that, then you won't mind not having it at launch either, right?
If consumers were third, they would have done a lot worse things. And if Sony knew that you wouldn't ***** about every small change, they would've done it too. They're companies, of course they want money.
And yes, they changed it. I wish they would've changed it to a tandem system where both models can co-exist. But they saw it's pointless to go against a crowd of hating hardcore gamers. I'm fine with you hating on the digital system, it has its advantages and disadvantages, but then don't hate about how there is no innovation, you were the ones who ruined that.

Neither company is an angel, Microsoft had its fuck ups and Sony has a fair share of big mistakes they did as well.

mKeRix

May contain sarcasm
Oct 17, 2010
Oh, you're an unpaid intern. Got it.

Every single post you have made since joining has been a staunch defense of the Xbone. Jeffers doesn't defend Nintendo this strictly.

I know Microsoft thinks every customer is a sheep with a wallet on the side but at least give us a little credit.

The system was a DRM and consumer rights nightmare and MS still has zero clue why they needed to reverse course. Here's a hint... IT WASN'T BECAUSE CONSUMERS DIDN'T "GET" IT.
I actually wished I could work at MS, right now I just work for Pewdie Productions.
Well, you'd be surprised how many customers are all sheep. Apart from that it is said the XBone will already be profitable at launch, so they must've sold a decent amount already, so there you go. But away from the sheep thing, actually a lot of the trouble is exactly because the customer didn't get it. That's what all this was about, MS not being able to state smth clearly at the beginning where they initially showed us their console. Too many rumors developed and people stopped evolving their knowledge around the facts, so yeah, the customers or more so the hardcore gamers that pay attention to consoles pre-launch didn't get it, or to be more specific, started throwing out false rumors. It's bad enough that everyone is judging products before they've even tried them.

Also, I already posted about other things. I'm not much of a forum person. I only post about MS stuff every now and then because that's what pisses me off most about the Escapist forums, that there's a big share of people running around and screaming "MICROSOFT IS THE DEVIL AND SONY IS THE HERO TO FREE US ALL". Heck, even reddit with it's hivemind mentality has more reason and understanding of the next generation.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I have one question.

WHY DIDN'T THEY RELEASE ONE OF THESE DURING THE ANNOUNCEMENT???

Seriously, the umming and ahhing from John Merrick and Co only exasperated the issues with the Always Online system.

And lets not get started on the "sharing a 30 min trial" rumors that still persist to this day.