Xbox One Is Not Designed With Advertising In Mind, Microsoft Says

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Genocidicles said:
-Dragmire- said:
Can anyone tell me how much control users currently have over ads on Xbox live now? I personally don't know. I imagine their next console will have just as much control over that aspect of the machine.
If you have xbox live then there are usually at least 2 ads to every section of the dashboard, one of which is usually a video that suddenly adds sound at an incredibly loud volume if you hover over it.

If you aren't connected then the all of the ads are replaced with ads telling you to get xbox live.

There is no way to remove them on the xbox, but there was supposedly a way to get rid of them by filtering your network or something (I'm not very computer savvy), and it replaced the ads with empty black squares. Of course that was discovered way back when the ads were first introduced, so Microsoft has likely sorted out that little loophole by now.
What. The. Fuck.

To my knowledge, no other console pulls that bullshit. Even Steam lets you configure it so it opens onto the library rather than the store and you can turn off the 'announcements', and that's a FREE service. What utter nonsense.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
In other news: Man caught escaping from prison for the third time, swears he won't do it again.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
The Gentleman said:
So it has ads? You mean like every other media platform out there? Shocking.

If the ads are as bad as they currently are, then they're almost as bad as television and internet ads (at least they don't get in the way of starting your game up) when you have your TV or PC muted (and don't get me started on those video ads that don't automute their sound).

And for those people who say "but we paid for this," no, hardware in this industry is almost always sold at a loss, and every dime they get through other means is money you don't have to pay both on the front end and higher subscription fees (if required at all). For all those ads, I can still boot up my XBox and start a game with my television off (unless it's attached via the HDMI cable) and autostart disabled. 99% of the time, my "cursor" doesn't even move to the right.

Now put your complaints in perspective and calm the fuck down.
How about this? No other console pulls that bullshit. You turn the console on and you turn on the game. If you want to be bombarded with ads, you go to the online store, but from what I hear the Xbox 360 store is more interested with absolutely filling your screen with shit you don't care about rather than letting you find the item you were looking for.

Even Steam, which is a free service, doesn't bombard you with ads, outside of the store's main page and the 'announcements' that can be turned off. When you turn it on, it pisses right off to let you play the games you already paid for. Why does a plug-and-play multi-hundred dollar console have integrated ads in the main dashboard, but not a free distribution service?

Also, last time I checked, they got the cash back from game sales. Trust me, they're not paupers who need every scrap of cash they can get.

keserak

Aug 21, 2009
The Gentleman said:

If the ads are as bad as they currently are, then they're almost as bad as television and internet ads (at least they don't get in the way of starting your game up) when you have your TV or PC muted (and don't get me started on those video ads that don't automute their sound).

And for those people who say "but we paid for this," no, hardware in this industry is almost always sold at a loss, and every dime they get through other means is money you don't have to pay both on the front end and higher subscription fees (if required at all). For all those ads, I can still boot up my XBox and start a game with my television off (unless it's attached via the HDMI cable) and autostart disabled. 99% of the time, my "cursor" doesn't even move to the right.

The Escapist said:
If you already have concerns about the Kinect 2.0 being able to "spy" on you and record your habits, this news from the Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising probably won't help. "With the new Xbox One, the technology and Kinect has improved a lot, so that actually the voice recognition, the way you speak to your Xbox and the transition between gaming and watching TV is a lot smoother, and hopefully we can transpire that into advertising that we do." He went on to say that the new Xbox One dashboard was designed "with advertising in mind."
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125523-Xbox-One-Designed-With-Advertising-in-Mind

The central complaint is that Microsoft is lying.

You need to stop your dissembling BS and calm the fuck down.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
You have to admire the sheer audacity of Microsoft. It's almost impressive that they can say this with a straight face. The whole point of an all-in-one game console is to pull in obscene amounts of add revenue. Even without game sells equal to Sony, this would be hugely lucrative for them. All the t.v. adds, internet adds, and yes, eventually in game adds, will record your reaction on the mandatory spy machine. Then that information will be sent back to Microsoft during their online check up. Then that information can be sold to add companies, and the company can record your reaction to tailor commercials to you. Add revenue was one of the most important factors in the creation of the Xbone, period, and the sheer gal of Microsofts lies is staggering. Whatever, I was interested in them once, but they've permanently lost my interest in them as a company.

I've said it before, they want to turn gaming into television in more ways than one. I don't care for t.v. being periodically interrupted, and Microsoft would do this if they could. Could you imagine Fallout 3 being interrupted by an add? I say this is where it starts.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
Microsoft is certainly doing a lot of back-peddling as of late. It's almost as if they believe if they deny enough of the charges, they can go back in time and prevent the crime before it happens.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Genocidicles said:
-Dragmire- said:
Can anyone tell me how much control users currently have over ads on Xbox live now? I personally don't know. I imagine their next console will have just as much control over that aspect of the machine.
If you have xbox live then there are usually at least 2 ads to every section of the dashboard, one of which is usually a video that suddenly adds sound at an incredibly loud volume if you hover over it.

If you aren't connected then the all of the ads are replaced with ads telling you to get xbox live.

There is no way to remove them on the xbox, but there was supposedly a way to get rid of them by filtering your network or something (I'm not very computer savvy), and it replaced the ads with empty black squares. Of course that was discovered way back when the ads were first introduced, so Microsoft has likely sorted out that little loophole by now.
Ouch, that doesn't mesh well with what this guy is saying... unless he's just talking about interactive ads and they fully intend to bombard users with classic ads but not interactive ones, yet anyway.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow are they fucking devious, we very well know how you deal with ads already you jackass, people pay premium internet access on xbox so they get spammed on the entire fucking system, WITHOUT any control over it whatsoever.

Now try saying again this exact shit will not be done with a system where ads were touted as a main feature, you lying sack of ...

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
What? But I clearly remember Microsoft saying that the XB1 was going to match relevant advertisements to the user.

Are they backpedaling again?

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Lying.
That is petty and low to the lowest denominator Microsoft, you bunch of ingrate... I mean, just a couple months back you said it was made to advertise! You can't just... you know what... no, there's no point in beating a dead horse. I'm not against anyone whose getting the Xboned 180, but to all of you who pre-ordered/are planning to get one... can you please, NOT. I don't want a company that spouts BS and thinks that if they do they'll come out "hunkie doorie" to exist.

I want them to fail now, I don't care if Sony becomes an oh so spooky monopoly, we still have Almighty Lord and Savior Gaben and Nintendo to substitute Microsoft competition wise anyways.
I'm just done with them.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I miss the old days, when video games were just fun. No hard drives, no DLC fleecing, no gimmicks... except light guns, R.O.B. the Robot, Barcode Battler, Super Scope, Sega Activator, Sega CD, Sega VMU, Nintendo Power Pad, the Power Glove...

...okay... so maybe I miss when it wasn't all just about advertising, but about the FUN.... unless of course we count Donkey Kong Crunch, Donkey Kong Jr Cereal, Pac-Man cereal, Nintendo Cereal System, Collectible trading cards, scratch cards, bad cartoons meant to sell cheap toys, children's underpants, candy, gum, assorted "Made in China" accessories, a feature length film starring a drug addict, a future child molester, and Fred Savage.

Now that I think about it, maybe the Golden Age wasn't a "golden" as I remember.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
CrossLOPER said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
I'm sure the 360 wasn't built with ads in mind either but that doesn't stop my tv from looking like a 1990s geocities website every time I turn it on.
Don't log on.
Better yet, don't turn it on. Trade it in for a PS4, WiiU, 3DS, Vita, PS3 or maybe just some games for other consoles you own.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
How does the kinect 2 spy on you? Whats it gonna do, scan your face then sends you adverts for spot cream. lol.

Adverts on consoles dont bother me, they are in their own little area out the way, i just ignore them. People moaned about adverts on the 360 dashboard and i was never on the dashboard for more than 5 seconds. Its not like they will have adverts popping up mid game that pause your game until you close them.

Now, if your going to moan about adverts that are annoying, then unskippable trailers on dvds are so much worse in comparison.
Kinect will scan the room and let's say it sees a Mountain Dew can and a bag of Doritos, well now it will target you with soda and potato chip ads. What if it sees a box Ritz crackers or Chex Mix? You get the idea.

You ignored the ads on your 360 dashboard and you belittled those who "moan" about them. You are part of the reason Microsoft thinks it's ok to keep making money off of your bandwidth and your eyes. Let's not forget, you already paid them twice and possibly times already (the console, the game and Xbox live) and now they are selling YOU to advertisers.

The unskippable trailers on DVD's are bad too but it doesn't cancel out the ads Microsoft is throwing at you.

Oh look, a PUMA captcha. Refresh!

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
PFF, right.
the device designed to take control of the most lucrative advertising space in the home is not designed to capitalise on that space Whatsoever.. yeah.. pull the other one for once Ms, we know exactly what you're doing.. 'sigh' just because your target audience are dullards doesn't mean we all are.

yet more back-pedalling from Ms saying the xbox will serve appropriate user specific ads, if anyone recalls the original blurb.

Evonisia said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
How does the kinect 2 spy on you? Whats it gonna do, scan your face then sends you adverts for spot cream. lol.
Everything with a camera spies on you, the Kinect 2 is worse because of reasons.
have some free reasons: everything else with a camera is not designed to be a marketing device nor does it come with facial recognition, heart-rate monitor or devices to specifically count how-many people are watching your tv for drm purposes.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.820366-Xbox-One-Designed-With-Advertising-in-Mind

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.830193-Xbox-One-Is-Not-Designed-With-Advertising-In-Mind-Microsoft-Says

wat.

Just...

Wat.

Don Mattrick really made these guys' jobs hard, didn't he?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
This announcement is like slapping a band-aid onto a severed limb.

Pointless and rather funny when you think about it.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Infernal Lawyer said:
Genocidicles said:
-Dragmire- said:

What. The. Fuck.

To my knowledge, no other console pulls that bullshit. Even Steam lets you configure it so it opens onto the library rather than the store and you can turn off the 'announcements', and that's a FREE service. What utter nonsense.
If anything, he is understating the issue. "Usually at least 2" is technically accurate, but there are often more and the ads can be four times the size of the teensy weensy little tile which shows what game you have in the Xbox, which you have to select to play it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
The Gentleman said:

Really? Because my consoles and PC don't have adds all over them when I start them up (well my 360 does obviously but I rarely start it up). Only the TV has adds and I don't watch TV anymore because of this, I just buy my shows on DVDs or now Bluray. The only places I see adds now are websites which I can't complain about since keeping a site up isn't free, can't complain that a site I pay nothing for shows a few adds to cover those costs. Just as long as they don't interrupt my viewing of the site I don't mind.
I doubt I will ever get an xbone anyway, except maybe in 5 years time when their $100-200 AUD. Maybe.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
SonOfVoorhees said:

Adverts on consoles dont bother me, they are in their own little area out the way, i just ignore them. People moaned about adverts on the 360 dashboard and i was never on the dashboard for more than 5 seconds. Its not like they will have adverts popping up mid game that pause your game until you close them.

Now, if your going to moan about adverts that are annoying, then unskippable trailers on dvds are so much worse in comparison.
Kinect will scan the room and let's say it sees a Mountain Dew can and a bag of Doritos, well now it will target you with soda and potato chip ads. What if it sees a box Ritz crackers or Chex Mix? You get the idea.

You ignored the ads on your 360 dashboard and you belittled those who "moan" about them. You are part of the reason Microsoft thinks it's ok to keep making money off of your bandwidth and your eyes. Let's not forget, you already paid them twice and possibly times already (the console, the game and Xbox live) and now they are selling YOU to advertisers.

The unskippable trailers on DVD's are bad too but it doesn't cancel out the ads Microsoft is throwing at you.

Oh look, a PUMA captcha. Refresh!
Thanks for the reply. Do you play online on 360? I dont. So maybe thats the reason its not an issue for me. I just put in the game and 5 seconds im playing the game. Is it really that bad online? Me, i have zero interest in online gaming. So maybe thats why the advertising isnt an issue. Guess i should have added that just so people know where i am coming from. Also, when comparing dvds, just realised, if you buy a dvd then you should get zero adverts. Same with buying a new game and a console. Playing demos would be fine with adverts, would you agree? But really are the adverts really that effecting your gaming? Would though TV would be worse as you get 5 minutes of adverts forced upon you? Sorry, i just dont give a crap about adverts on the console, I just put the dics in, press play and off i go. Im not forced to watch any adverts, not forced to watch adverts while the game is loading. But again, its an issue if you play online and your sold stuff though your paying for the internet etc same as being advertised to when you bought the dvd. So i understand now, thanks, just never considered the online thing as im offline only.

As for the Kinect 2, I really doubt it can read objects in the room etc. Thats is just so laughable to me. Thats a myth. Idiotic lies spread by idiots. For me, im waiting for the unpacking and playing vids that will be released on launch. Then we can see what the kinect 2 does, whether its an advert machine that people think. That way everyone will see what the machine is like before we buy one. Though if it is a scanning advert machine based on whats in your room, i will be the first to apologise and back you up. Though if i can be offline, then i will - because where i game is way to small for the kinect to work. :)

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I do not believe this bullshit for a second. They're going to be pushing ads like none other, I'm sure time will prove this correct just like it did this gen. Sure there will be plenty of games and good times, but they're going to be delivering ads all over the place like they do right now I'm betting.

Whatever, they can advertise all they want, I'll just keep in mind who advertises what on XBL (and even PSN) and not buy their products specifically.