Xbox One Is Not Designed With Advertising In Mind, Microsoft Says

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
WeepingAngels said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
How does the kinect 2 spy on you? Whats it gonna do, scan your face then sends you adverts for spot cream. lol.

Adverts on consoles dont bother me, they are in their own little area out the way, i just ignore them. People moaned about adverts on the 360 dashboard and i was never on the dashboard for more than 5 seconds. Its not like they will have adverts popping up mid game that pause your game until you close them.

Now, if your going to moan about adverts that are annoying, then unskippable trailers on dvds are so much worse in comparison.
Kinect will scan the room and let's say it sees a Mountain Dew can and a bag of Doritos, well now it will target you with soda and potato chip ads. What if it sees a box Ritz crackers or Chex Mix? You get the idea.

You ignored the ads on your 360 dashboard and you belittled those who "moan" about them. You are part of the reason Microsoft thinks it's ok to keep making money off of your bandwidth and your eyes. Let's not forget, you already paid them twice and possibly times already (the console, the game and Xbox live) and now they are selling YOU to advertisers.

The unskippable trailers on DVD's are bad too but it doesn't cancel out the ads Microsoft is throwing at you.

Oh look, a PUMA captcha. Refresh!
Thanks for the reply. Do you play online on 360? I dont. So maybe thats the reason its not an issue for me. I just put in the game and 5 seconds im playing the game. Is it really that bad online? Me, i have zero interest in online gaming. So maybe thats why the advertising isnt an issue. Guess i should have added that just so people know where i am coming from. Also, when comparing dvds, just realised, if you buy a dvd then you should get zero adverts. Same with buying a new game and a console. Playing demos would be fine with adverts, would you agree? But really are the adverts really that effecting your gaming? Would though TV would be worse as you get 5 minutes of adverts forced upon you? Sorry, i just dont give a crap about adverts on the console, I just put the dics in, press play and off i go. Im not forced to watch any adverts, not forced to watch adverts while the game is loading. But again, its an issue if you play online and your sold stuff though your paying for the internet etc same as being advertised to when you bought the dvd. So i understand now, thanks, just never considered the online thing as im offline only.

As for the Kinect 2, I really doubt it can read objects in the room etc. Thats is just so laughable to me. Thats a myth. Idiotic lies spread by idiots. For me, im waiting for the unpacking and playing vids that will be released on launch. Then we can see what the kinect 2 does, whether its an advert machine that people think. That way everyone will see what the machine is like before we buy one. Though if it is a scanning advert machine based on whats in your room, i will be the first to apologise and back you up.

Though if i can be offline, then i will - because where i game is way to small for the kinect to work. :)

When I had a 360, I didn't play online but I still had my console connect to Live everytime it turned on. I am just the kind of guy who has all my devices connected. Besides, the way I understand it, you get "Join Xbox Live" ads if you aren't connected anyway.

I agree that I should never get ads with a product I own like a DVD/Blu Ray, game or game console. Demos ARE ads so I don't appreciate ads there either. The purpose of a demo is to sell you the full game.

No, the ads don't affect the game after you start playing but on the same note, ads on a Blu Ray don't affect the movie once it begins.

If you compare ads on the dashboard to ads on television then sure, TV ads are far worse but let's look at it from my perspective. I don't endure TV ads, I don't watch TV, I don't pay for cable. I pay for Netflix and I watch DVD's/Blu Ray's. Now on those Blu-Rays, the ads are always skippable but you have to find the right button, sometimes it's the menu button and other times it's the skip button. If worse come to worse, there's the fast forward button. To me, ads on a Blu-Ray are equal to ads on the dashboard, they both can be skipped at the touch of a button or two (TV ads can't unless you DVR) and they are both unacceptable to me. It's why I no longer own a 360 and won't be owning a One.

You say that you aren't forced to view ads while the game is loading or during the game. I say "not yet" and if you continue to be apathetic, it will happen. In fact, is has already been tried this gen. Deus Ex had ads in the loading screens, didn't it?

I don't know if Kinect 2 can see products but I would imagine that in the same way a camera can find your eyes and center the frame, so can Kinect find a product logo if it has a database of logo images to draw from. We'll have to see.

Gor Kur

Jul 22, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
How does the kinect 2 spy on you? Whats it gonna do, scan your face then sends you adverts for spot cream. lol.

Adverts on consoles dont bother me, they are in their own little area out the way, i just ignore them. People moaned about adverts on the 360 dashboard and i was never on the dashboard for more than 5 seconds. Its not like they will have adverts popping up mid game that pause your game until you close them.

Now, if your going to moan about adverts that are annoying, then unskippable trailers on dvds are so much worse in comparison.
This post brought to you by the Microsoft Social Media Marketing Department

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
synobal said:
There is a reason people are already calling it the AdBox.
That's hilarious, thanks for sharing. I love these Xbone news threads, so much contradiction in so little time. I was just going to recite the things they were planning to do before but it seems everyone still remembers it all.

I especially like how he added that they wouldn't add said feature unless we had complete control over it. Can we all just agree that everything should be optional and not rubbed in our face, like this stupid always online future some of these thick devs want. It would eliminate every complaint ever made, I have no doubt.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
As for the Kinect 2, I really doubt it can read objects in the room etc. Thats is just so laughable to me. Thats a myth. Idiotic lies spread by idiots.
Actually it was a Microsoft Executive put forward the idea of the Kinect reading objects in the room for more directed advertising.

And over time that will help us be more targeted about what content choices we present, what advertising we present, how we get better feedback. And data about how many people are in a room when an advertisement is shown, how many people are in a room when a game is being played, how are those people engaged with the game? How are they engaged with a sporting event? Are they standing up? Are they excited? Are they wearing Seahawks jerseys?
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/microsoft-exec-caught-in-privacy-snafu-says-kinect-might-tailor/
Just as it was Microsoft who patented the ability to refuse to play media if too many people were in the room, and told us that it could work out the genders, age, and emotional state of people to better target advertisements at them, and that the always on requirement couldn't be reversed, and if you didn't have good internet you could just deal with it, and the Xbox One dashboard was designed with advertising in mind, and they have refused to state that the 24 hour check-in won't be rolled out retroactively across all consoles, so please excuse me if I question their current press releases about their new games console.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
what caught my eye is their supposed automated stop feature, saying that sky calls get stopped when the program is not in focus. would that mean i canot skype and game at the same time? or does that mean camera focus, which would mean me going to toilet automatically drop the call.
both occasions - moronic decisinos made by morons.
WeepingAngels said:
The unskippable trailers on DVD's are bad too but it doesn't cancel out the ads Microsoft is throwing at you.

Oh look, a PUMA captcha. Refresh!
Haha, no.
go to chapter 1.

PC FTW:p

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ed130 said:
This announcement is like slapping a band-aid onto a severed limb.

Pointless and rather funny when you think about it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128462-Microsoft-Corporate-VP-Says-Xbox-One-Can-Reshape-Marketing

And now they've torn it off with the desire to stick shards of glass into the stump in hopes of growing superpowers.

It may not be 'designed' with advertising in mind but they are certainly pimping it out as such.

Gor Kur

Jul 22, 2013
Hero in a half shell said:
It was an interview done speculatively
What utter balls.

The interview wasn't speculative. "With advertising in mind" isn't a summary or a suggestion, it's a direct quote from a Microsoft 'Xbox Live Advertising Developer' about what the Xbox Live UI would be.

It's not speculative if he's telling you the exact ethos behind the thing he is designing right at that point, and it cannot be retroactively changed because the Xbox Live UI has already been created and it was done so with that purpose.

At most you can claim to have backtracked once again on a previous policy, but you cannot claim that it somehow didn't happen that way when we have direct confirmation from an employee about what his focus was at the time he was designing it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128462-Microsoft-Corporate-VP-Says-Xbox-One-Can-Reshape-Marketing

Man, your employers sure are making your job as a Social Media marketing plant difficult, aren't they?

Gor Kur

Jul 22, 2013
Meriatressia said:
That might be a good sign. He is qualifying the statement with proper details.

It might be lies. Or he might actually mean it.

And bear in mind.
When microsoft pulled a forced advertisment, AKA, a SingStar, they made it relavant to the user. And it was nowere near as offensive as what sony did with singcrap.
If they did it, then it'll probabely relavent to the user. Which potentially won't cause offense some of the time anyway.

What he says does make sense.

Now, if you asked sony a similer question?
They'd insult you, then force it on you anyway.
While ignoring the constant waves of rage and hatred, as people leave en masse.
Because that already happened.
And it WILL happen again, unless they get a grip and realise how badly they are killing their company.
Silly Microsoft marketing plant, your own bosses keep screwing you over.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Gor Kur said:
Hero in a half shell said:
It was an interview done speculatively
What utter balls.

The interview wasn't speculative. "With advertising in mind" isn't a summary or a suggestion, it's a direct quote from a Microsoft 'Xbox Live Advertising Developer' about what the Xbox Live UI would be.

It's not speculative if he's telling you the exact ethos behind the thing he is designing right at that point, and it cannot be retroactively changed because the Xbox Live UI has already been created and it was done so with that purpose.

At most you can claim to have backtracked once again on a previous policy, but you cannot claim that it somehow didn't happen that way when we have direct confirmation from an employee about what his focus was at the time he was designing it.

Man, your employers sure are making your job as a Social Media marketing plant difficult, aren't they?
I... I don't quite follow.

So Microsoft employed me to slag them off and talk crap about their executives, picking holes in all Microsoft press releases with a vile fury.

That sounds like a counter intuitive job.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Looking at the state of my 360's dashboard already... I simply don't believe you Microsoft. I don't trust you with my living room.