Xbox One Limited To 21 Countries At Launch

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Avalanche91 said:
considering the consumers kinda lose the right to first sale or however it's called with xbone, are they even allowed to sell in Europe?

I'm asking because it would be hilarious to have the Xbone pulled from shelves a month after release.
Even more hilarious if a group of disgruntled not-supported EU countries, which there will be 16 of at the time of launch, or more than half the union, brings this matter before the Commission.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Jadak said:
Jingle Fett said:
On another note, wow they're omitting CHINA? The country that alone is 1/7th of the world's population? I can understand smaller countries and whatnot, but cutting out such a large number of the population is incredibly stupid. India too.
Now MS can totally be profitable with what they're doing, they really can...but they're going to have to accept they're aiming for what is essentially a niche market, and I don't think that's their intention.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...uld-be-Lifted--Manufacturer-Shares-Surge.html

As of January, video game consoles are banned in China. Not going to bother researching any further, but I will assume that is still the case that decision is not up to Microsoft.

As for India,

http://www.bgr.in/news/xbox-one-india-launch-scheduled-for-late-2014-a-year-after-us-and-europe/

Apparently countries like India, South Korea and South-east Asia in general are set for 2014. Not much explanation beyond speculation that they're still hoping to milk the 360 market there. Possibly a bad move on that front, but I'm not sure what those markets are like either.
Wow I didn't know that, consoles banned in China? That's pretty extreme :O
But yeah with all the other countries, I can't see this working out too well for Microsoft. Each moment they delay is more and more customers switching over to PS4, especially when most of the games available for Xbox One will also be available for PS4. I mean once it gets the reputation that you can't play online with certain friends, I imagine it will be very hard to change that image, especially when there's a cheaper alternative that plays the games just as well (on top of all the other stuff that is).

Jrtlaktalk

Apr 19, 2010
croc3629 said:
You know, I know its pretty much standard for Africa to be the butt monkey of the world in all things, but really, couldn't even throw South Africa a bone? Not even?

Well, I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but it still urks me just a little. Silly, I know, but there it is.
I pretty much thought the same thing. But you know, seeing as in the last 2 months I have only had concurrent internet use for 7 days (and counting) due to the excessive cable theft in my area, it wouldnt really have made a difference if SA was on that list.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Jadak said:
Jingle Fett said:
On another note, wow they're omitting CHINA? The country that alone is 1/7th of the world's population? I can understand smaller countries and whatnot, but cutting out such a large number of the population is incredibly stupid. India too.
Now MS can totally be profitable with what they're doing, they really can...but they're going to have to accept they're aiming for what is essentially a niche market, and I don't think that's their intention.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...uld-be-Lifted--Manufacturer-Shares-Surge.html

As of January, video game consoles are banned in China. Not going to bother researching any further, but I will assume that is still the case that decision is not up to Microsoft.

This fallacy comes up all the time, ie: "console ban in China". It's a vague "grey" ban, which amounts to being empty policy that is not at all enforced. I've been here for years. The amount of people that have all of the current and past consoles/handhelds is insane. Why, just today, I received two new games (one ps3 and one xbox 360 game) in the post from Hong Kong. I also bought both of my consoles in Hong Kong, and brought them back with me to the mainland.

Xbox LIVE may be banned here, but the consoles certainly aren't. I guarantee you will see a "CrackXBone" here within 2 years of release.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I never thought I'd hear the sound of someone hammering a nail into a coffin from the inside. But sure enough, tok, tok.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
They left out Portugal, Luxembourg, Greece, most of eastern Europe and the rest of the entire freaking world? Are they completely mad?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I suppose this means that you can´t play online games in omitted regions, not that you can´t connect to verify your account on a daily basis? Or what?

Maslab

Jun 25, 2012
MrBaskerville said:
I suppose this means that you can´t play online games in omitted regions, not that you can´t connect to verify your account on a daily basis? Or what?
Presumably, this would mean that since you can't connect to LIVE services, then you can't play at all since the console needs to connect to their servers once per day. I suppose a connection to the server is still possible and thus your game/account/whatever is verified, but you can't play online.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
If you're not on the list of Microsoft's most special 21 friends, you can't verify your account, meaning your Xbone can't be authorized originally, and will deauthorize every time it tries to phone home. This might even include situations where your IP is masked as being in a country that's not on the lest, even if the console's in an authorized country.

Lerola

Feb 23, 2013
Well, this is funny indeed. First, in all the world, the probabilities of having a possibly rich guy, with constant internet conntecion, that just wants casual games, is not bothered of him not being able to share games, that loves to be observed by microsoft with the Kinect and does not mind missing backwards compatibiity is preety low, now it's going to be even less by reducing the amount of countries.
With this and Windows 8, I think that Microsoft's strategy plan is to experiment if fanboys will still buy the sh*ttiest platform on all the market, that or they have serious, serious problems...

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Lerola said:
Well, this is funny indeed. First, in all the world, the probabilities of having a possibly rich guy, with constant internet conntecion, that just wants casual games, is not bothered of him not being able to share games, that loves to be observed by microsoft with the Kinect and does not mind missing backwards compatibiity is preety low, now it's going to be even less by reducing the amount of countries.
With this and Windows 8, I think that Microsoft's strategy plan is to experiment if fanboys will still buy the sh*ttiest platform on all the market, that or they have serious, serious problems...
I thought they were just looking at Apple and chasing after it, and the iPad sales like a delusional puppy. I mean, I've got no other explanation for Windows 8 and the freakin' Surface, though if there is one, I'd like to hear it.

Captcha: heartache

:\

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
Ironside said:
"Omits nations like Portugal, Japan, Ukraine, Greece and Poland." I dont know if you guys follow the news, but the populations of Greece and Portugal do not have much disposable income at the moment, businesses are fleeing both countries and youth (the people most likely to buy these consoles) unemployment is at record levels of 65% and 40+% respectively. The 360 never sold well in Japan and Ukraine is one of the poorest countries in Europe. You can criticise Microsoft for a lot of things relating to the xbone, but this just seems like a smart business decision to me in that they are focusing their resources on the areas where they are actually going to make reasonable returns.
Still, I suppose that the market for Xbone (360 sold relatively well) in Poland is still there. I don't understand their logic, since I doubt there is much logic involved.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
shintakie10 said:
Entitled said:
Ironside said:
The 360 never sold well in Japan
Compared to the other two. It still sold 1.6 million units. That's what they are now throwing away in this one country alone, because they can't be bothered to set up store there.
Microsoft market share in Japan is somewhere around 1%.
7%, actually, not that it matters. Throwing away almost 2 million sales because someone else is selling even better, is an useless reason for stopping distributiom.

shintakie10 said:
Considerin the costs of localisin a game
Then don't localize games. Easy as that.

I have been playing games in english since my childhood, here in Hungary. By the time I was a teenager, I ended up learning the language.

Yet right now, if I would want to play any Xbox game, my best bet would be to move to Austria, because Microsoft isn't just "not localizing" games, but making it PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to play them in most countries of the world.

shintakie10 said:
See this guy gets it. The Xbone could launch in every country in the world, but if it doesn't actually sell anythin anywhere it wont do Microsoft any good.
And attitude is part of the reason why Sony was ouselling them in those regions even until now. If your problem doesnn't sell, that's a problem to solve. Refusing to sell it there is the worst possible way to "solve the problem".

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
lacktheknack said:
CD Projekt: "That's OK, guys! We'll have things available on it anyways if you want them!"
>Microsoft then announces that Polish people cannot have the system

This is a special kind of face-slap. It's the kind that makes it into Cracked articles.
Wonder how they're going to react. I wouldn't be surprised if they just said "Nope. Too much bloody effort." and abandoned the Xbone. Also, Poland is one of the few countries that wasn't TERRIBLY affected by the financial crisis (I mean, we have SOME financial growth and the middle class wasn't hit REALLY hard).

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I've noticed another one just as bad as not being able to play Witcher 3 in Poland.

You also can't use the console in Ukraine, and guess where World of Tanks comes from? :) That game is even online only and NEEDS Xbox Live to function. It's not like Witcher which could theoretically work offline.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Akalabeth said:
Am I the only person who understands what the words "at launch" imply?
No, pretty much everyone understands that MS seems to consider some regions "not important enough" or "yeah who cares about those fuckers, they can wait". There's not much difference between "at launch" and "at all" in case of a new console release, seriously.

If you wanted an Xbone and live in Czech Republic, for example, this is basically being told "Well sucks to be you, lol".