Xbox One Only Accepts Specific Headsets, Microsoft Explains Why

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Xbox One Only Accepts Specific Headsets, Microsoft Explains Why

If you don't want trash talk to be blasted from your TV speakers, you'll need to spend more than the Xbox One's $500 base price.

Part of the reason Xbox Live has such a vocal community (for better or worse) is that the console included a headset right in the box. One console generation later, the tables have turned - Microsoft announced that the Xbox One will not only ship without a headset, but standard headsets - including the 360 model - won't be compatible with the new system. The official Xbox One headset [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125103-Take-A-Look-At-Microsofts-Official-Xbox-One-Headset] (designed to work with the controller's uniquely-shaped auxiliary port) will be sold separately, and for the time being it seems the only options are to throw that extra cash to Microsoft or use the Kinect's built-in microphone.

"The Wireless Controller has been redesigned to allow for higher data transfer speed between the controller and the console," a Microsoft representative explains. "This also required creating a new expansion port design for headsets and future controller add-on devices which is different from a standard audio plug input."

Microsoft says that there are plans to develop some kind of port adaptor which would allow other headsets to connect to the controller, which (conveniently enough) would also involve purchasing another accessory from Microsoft. If you don't want to spend more money on the console, Microsoft claims that the Kinect's noise-cancelling microphone will be sufficient for voice chat while gaming, though it remains to be seen how well that will work in practice.

Just for comparison, the PS4 will include a basic headset in the box.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/27/microsoft-issues-revised-statement-on-headsets-hope-for-compatibility--.aspx]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
And its controller's expansion port prevents it from taking standard USB headsets through the console's built-in USB ports because...?

Cut the bullshit, Microsoft, we can see right through it.

P.S. Thanks

Epidemiix

Custom Title Yay!
Jan 3, 2012
Oh hi Sony's PR team! Hard at work again aren't ya?

On the serious side of things, that seems to be a bit of a weird choice on their part to not come with a headset...a huge step back really.

And I refuse to believe that the Kinect mic will be able to give the same amount of clarity that a headset mic can. Especially if you are in a room with other things going on...or can not shout loud enough to communicate with teammates if the Kinect itself is across the room (considering that the large space needed for it to do all the motion stuff).

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Because they want more money. Seriously, it seems pretty obvious they're trying to milk as much accessory money out of the xBone as possible.

Really though, now I hope that Sony advertises "Accepts all headphones!" as a selling point.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
So including a standard headset jack alongside a port designed for future peripherals is beyond Microsoft's engineers? There is no technical or ergonomic reason that would prevent them from having a STANDARD headset jack on the controller along with their BS new port. I will admit that I have spent a lot of time defending MS in the past but even the hardest of the hardcore shills should find it difficult to excuse this kind of BS. I mean come on, this is the kind of crap Apple pulls and even they have yet to put out an iDevice without a standard headphone jack.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
So now that the deals with the used-game stores must be cancelled, Microsoft has decided to make a console that only allows for certain headsets? Has this new type of auxiliary port been decided by most hardware makers to be in all future appliances? No? Then it's a terrible idea yet again!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Covarr said:
And its controller's expansion port prevents it from taking standard USB headsets through the console's built-in USB ports because...?

Cut the bullshit, Microsoft, we can see right through it.

P.S. Thanks
BECAUSE WE WANT MORE MONEY, DAMMIT!

Errrr...I mean, because ponies we need to offer you the best fidelity, and surely proprietary devices are the best way to go...

You know, every time I think "maybe it won't be so bad," they add another bit.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
The xbone gets more and more absurd every day. Please Microsoft, don't stop. This is just too much fun. And yes captcha, they should face the music.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This one seems fine, the Kinect's microphone is good enough to take voice commands, it'll be good enough to voice chat. Why give everyone a headset microphone when they've already got one built into the machine?

I'm glad Sony are adding a headset to their package though, people called Live a bigger community, but that doesn't really mean anything when your playing games which allow 32 people max to play together and both communities are in the millions. The only real difference was the PSN's was a lot quieter because people don't default to having a microphone. Of course this means the PSN is also going to be exposed much more to the lovely sound of the 13 year old profanity screechers.

Thuggych

Mar 5, 2011
"The Wireless Controller has been redesigned to allow for higher data transfer speed between the controller and the console," a Microsoft representative explains. "This also required creating a new expansion port design for headsets and future controller add-on devices which is different from a standard audio plug input."
Bullshit, I just bought the new Roku with a remote control that uses the same Wifi direct technology that the Xbone gamepad does...and it has a built-in headphone jack that works with any standard mini headphone.

ROBO_LEADER

Nov 5, 2007
If you have ever used the current Kinect as your XBox 360 mic, you are fully aware that using that crap just isn't an option.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
Because they want more money. Seriously, it seems pretty obvious they're trying to milk as much accessory money out of the xBone as possible.
This.

Also, as someone who uses the mic built into his laptop for voice chat while gaming, often in conjunction with a full 5.1 system (you know, the kind that's even more likely to be used with a console than a PC), they'd better have some /damned/ good noise cancellation built into that thing, preferably of the sort that can recognize audio that originated from the Xbone itself and selectively remove it. My mic is obnoxiously noisy even with the noise cancellation Microsoft built into Windows 7 and careful tweaking of the levels, it only works because PC games tend to use push to talk.

The vibrations from the system fan alone is enough to make it sound like I'm gaming next to a jet engine.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Well, I didn't know that the PS4 came with a headset, so thanks for making my PS4 purchase easier every day Microsoft!

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Because it works for Apple!

I can't help but think of one of those World War II comics of a man of industry handing a soldier a shell so he can keep fighting... except Microsoft keeps handing the shell to the opposition who takes it with a baffled expression but doesn't protest.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte - Sony's new motto.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Ok lets get this straight, they will stick a $100 device in with the console that no-one wants because they believe its needed for a quality experience, but wont stick a $5-15 (whatever its worth) headset and would rather make you pay for one. Funny since their $100 cheaper competitor can do that.
I knew there was a reason I had a smile on my face when pre-ordering the PS4 :)

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
When they said the Xbone wasn't compatible they meant with everything didn't they? How long until we find out it isn't compatible with standard electricity sockets and instead requires you to buy the Microsoft brand electricitonal socketron technology experience?