Xbox One Sales Double in US Now Kinect Isn't Mandatory

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Well lookie there, by removing the pointless thing no one wanted from the package they started actually selling consoles. I mean it's not like they didn't already try to sell the Kinect with the 360 and found out that no one wanted the stupid thing. To think where they would have been if they had never tried to push that idiocy on launch. They would be in such a better position.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
And it only took them a year to see the obvious. And the sad truth is, it's still a weaker console with weaker exclusive titles.

Trishbot said:
Someone on Neogaf already posted the context for this "growth".

April 2014 total (4 weeks): 115K for a weekly average of 28.75K
May 2014 total (4 weeks): 77K for a weekly average of 19.25K
June 2014 total (5 weeks): ~155K for a weekly average of 31K

"Double" what was one of the worst months ever for Microsoft is some wonderful PR spin, but the Kinect-less Xbox One really only spiked back up to the level it was at two months earlier. The real test will be to see if it can keep the momentum or whether it plummets again.
Oh, well that gives us a completely new perspective. Let's see what happens indeed.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Trishbot said:

"Double" what was one of the worst months ever for Microsoft is some wonderful PR spin, but the Kinect-less Xbox One really only spiked back up to the level it was at two months earlier. The real test will be to see if it can keep the momentum or whether it plummets again.
Too bad not everyone is willing to follow the numbers to find out the whole story. ell done providing some context here for those who won't be bothered digging a bit deeper themselves. It'd be nice to have this sort of context in the actual article to be honest, rather than simply reporting the usual marketing spin.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There are still no Xbones or Xbone games in a large amount of stores over here though. Game Mania and Media Markt have them, but the regular toy stores got nothing.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Trishbot said:

You should have included February and March numbers to show how many units Titanfall pushed as well.

So here they are.

February - 258,000
March - 311,000

Even with a $100 price reduction still below the first 3 months of the year ouch.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Slash2x said:
smithy_2045 said:
Slash2x said:
If that is true.
NOOOOOO!!!!!! Do not drink the koolaid! Damn it...

If that is not true because well they already lied MANY times during the life of the Xbone.
People still know you are full of shit Micro$oft. As the (less than) proud owner of two of your prior consoles you still pushed me off the wagon too hard from the start with this brick waiting to happen.
$ony are equally full of shit as Microsoft, and any suggestion that they aren't is pure fanboyism.
*looks at post* Who said Sony? I know Phony is full of crap too with their middle of the controller mandatory electric clit.
<-------- Steam user
Valve are only marginally better themselves.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Even though i have a ps3 i still think i would get more value out of a 360 than the Xbone, if i bought it now. It just seems like a console with a very mediocre line-up of games at the moment. I could play Forza 5 but Forza 4 is cheap and it sounds like a better game. Next year it might look slightly better, i still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, maybe in 2016 or 2017 when something worthwhile actually releases. At the moment it's just a lot of games that either look bland or also releases on 360/ps3 or pc.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Still fuck all I wanna play on these next gen consoles, nothing I can't get on the 360/PS3 at least, so why should I want to buy one.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I have absolutely no problem with the Kinect being sold as a separate accessory to the system. Sell the system without it and if people are interested in it they'll pick one up. OPTIONS!

You really do have to wonder when Microsoft will realize that the Kinect is a failed concept and nothing more than an albatross around their neck. It failed (relatively speaking) on the 360, it caused the XBone's launch to be a sputtering crawl, and now they see that sales have jumped since they removed it from the package?

The writing is on the wall, MS, just sweep the Kinect under the rug and move on with your life without it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
RJ 17 said:
You really do have to wonder when Microsoft will realize that the Kinect is a failed concept and nothing more than an albatross around their neck.
Now I'm not fully defending the Kinect here, but I will say that Kinect can do amazing things. Sadly though, of those amazing things the one it doesn't do well at all is video games, which is ironic. :p
I mean, using the Kinect as a motion sensor for mo-cap on SFMs has been great through many of the fluid animations I've seen. Another use is back in high school the Kinect had just come out so we actually programmed our F.R.C robot to be controlled with the Kinect, and it worked for the most part.

OT: I'm not surprised. A lot of people hated that they'd have to pay more for an peripheral that they didn't want or weren't really gonna use. Now that it's optional, I can see more people buying an Xbox One. For me though, I got burned out on Microsoft's consoles after 2010 when I started to notice that the PS3 was getting more of the types of games I liked than the 360. That trend continued and seems to be continuing now. So far the only game I'd be interested in getting an Xbox One for is the same as most other people: Sunset Overdrive, and that's more because I know Insomniac makes good games that are fun. (F.U.S.E and Full Frontal Assualt notwithstanding)

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Riff Moonraker said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Yeah, but ultimately, the people who really give that much of a crap about that are small in number. Would I like my One to be perceived to be just as "powerful" as the PS4? Sure, of course, but either way it will not sway me to buy a PS4. Ever. I switched over from the PC with the original Xbox, and that is where I will stay. All my gaming revolves around the Xbox world, and has done so for many, many years. So long as they continue to make them, that will continue to be true. I am sure there are a great deal of people out there that feel exactly like that, as well, and were probably just waiting for a price drop, and have no intention of dropping the xbox and switching over.
I'm not sure your blind brand loyalty equates to people not caring. And I imagine they do care, even if not for the technicals, since Microsoft's platform struggles to keep up with even the rather meager HD promise of its competitor. I mean, if you want to pay more for the hardware and get inferior ports, then go for it, I don't care. It's your money. But don't put on pretenses this whole thing revolves around brand loyalty for others.
But in alot of cases, it does. Sony fanboys did it last gen, when they were the ones getting the inferior ports, as well. Its no different here. Last gen they would all say that it wasnt that much of a difference, or you couldnt even tell, and in most cases they were right. Same with this gen, when I see comparisons, I dont see a difference. Also note that I simply carried on a discussion with you, and at no point did I ever infer you were a foolish person, however, trying to say I have "blind" brand loyalty, implies that I am ignorant or lack the ability to make responsible decisions. My decision to stay "loyal" to the xbox comes from the system having the games I want to play and the friends I want to play with... its a preference and a choice that I choose to make, and just because YOU dont agree with it, I would appreciate it if you wouldnt attempt to insult me. If you want to have a civil, interesting, and informative discussion, I would be glad to chat away all day long. However, I refuse to deal with anyone if they want to act childish and start throwing insults, no matter how vague.
"I switched over from the PC with the original Xbox, and that is where I will stay. All my gaming revolves around the Xbox world, and has done so for many, many years. So long as they continue to make them, that will continue to be true."

This right here is blind brand loyalty. You say you will continue to pick up Xbox consoles as long as they keep making them, disregarding any quality issues the devices may have in the future. It's absolutely fine to say you prefer Xbox right now, that they are making games for it that you are looking forward to playing more than the competitors. That's cool. But to just say outright that you will always stick with the Xbox consoles as long as they keep making them is blind brand loyalty.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
COMaestro said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Yeah, but ultimately, the people who really give that much of a crap about that are small in number. Would I like my One to be perceived to be just as "powerful" as the PS4? Sure, of course, but either way it will not sway me to buy a PS4. Ever. I switched over from the PC with the original Xbox, and that is where I will stay. All my gaming revolves around the Xbox world, and has done so for many, many years. So long as they continue to make them, that will continue to be true. I am sure there are a great deal of people out there that feel exactly like that, as well, and were probably just waiting for a price drop, and have no intention of dropping the xbox and switching over.
I'm not sure your blind brand loyalty equates to people not caring. And I imagine they do care, even if not for the technicals, since Microsoft's platform struggles to keep up with even the rather meager HD promise of its competitor. I mean, if you want to pay more for the hardware and get inferior ports, then go for it, I don't care. It's your money. But don't put on pretenses this whole thing revolves around brand loyalty for others.
But in alot of cases, it does. Sony fanboys did it last gen, when they were the ones getting the inferior ports, as well. Its no different here. Last gen they would all say that it wasnt that much of a difference, or you couldnt even tell, and in most cases they were right. Same with this gen, when I see comparisons, I dont see a difference. Also note that I simply carried on a discussion with you, and at no point did I ever infer you were a foolish person, however, trying to say I have "blind" brand loyalty, implies that I am ignorant or lack the ability to make responsible decisions. My decision to stay "loyal" to the xbox comes from the system having the games I want to play and the friends I want to play with... its a preference and a choice that I choose to make, and just because YOU dont agree with it, I would appreciate it if you wouldnt attempt to insult me. If you want to have a civil, interesting, and informative discussion, I would be glad to chat away all day long. However, I refuse to deal with anyone if they want to act childish and start throwing insults, no matter how vague.
"I switched over from the PC with the original Xbox, and that is where I will stay. All my gaming revolves around the Xbox world, and has done so for many, many years. So long as they continue to make them, that will continue to be true."

This right here is blind brand loyalty. You say you will continue to pick up Xbox consoles as long as they keep making them, disregarding any quality issues the devices may have in the future. It's absolutely fine to say you prefer Xbox right now, that they are making games for it that you are looking forward to playing more than the competitors. That's cool. But to just say outright that you will always stick with the Xbox consoles as long as they keep making them is blind brand loyalty.
Yeah, looking at that again, I didnt word that right... I should have added that so long as they keep making the games I want to play, so long as the controllers continue to be better for me, so long as my friends continue to play on there, etc. etc... which I did state elsewhere, but I can see where that would come off like that. You get my meaning, I would hope. No, I wouldnt stay with them if they started putting out garbage I wasnt interested in, I would probably just go back to the PC.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Riff Moonraker said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Oh, and the games probably ARE helping, at the very least...
I'd hope so. Otherwise, it would mean people were willing to pay the same price for a console that cost less and had less power under the hood.
You accuse sony of being full of shit and anyone disagreeing is a Sony fanboy then later admit that your a Microsoft fanboy, sorry bud but your arguments are mute. Sony did not pull any of the shit Microsoft did, what MS did was give us gamers the middle finger and told us to eat their shit. It's about time they listened, the sound of closing wallets is very powerful.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Soooo, on the off chance anyone is interested, current hints from the NPD report suggest that selling twice as many consoles this month has not enabled them to set outsell the PS4 in the US for June. It hasn't been outright stated in the report, but part of Sony's PR made the announcement, and I'm not seeing any signs of it being disputed by Microsoft. That and if Microsoft had actually managed to outsell them this month, pretty sure they'd be shouting it from every rooftop they could find. It does lend credence to the idea that the reasons the sales have doubled this month, therefore, is because their sales absolutely tanked during May in the wake of the initial 399$ SKU announcement, as I can't think of a reason that Sony would experience any substantial boost in sales to match theirs this month.

Although to be fair, there is a very small chance that it may be due to the first week of that five-week measurement period being 'before 399$', so maaaaaybe the teeth kicking they took during that week would have dragged them down for the rest? Even if that's the case, it would suggest that whatever lead they may have gained on Sony (assuming they ever did) on any given week would be quite narrow.

Considering the bulk of the sales spike was probably in the immediate wake of its launch, what with preorders and everything, it is highly unlikely July'll be any different. Anyone got a handle on what Microsoft's next 'THIS'LL Turn The Tide' event is? Halo Master Chief Collection perhaps?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
It's almost sad to read about the success of next gen consoles after listening to the last year or more of Jimquisition and Yahtzee. Everyone seems to completely oppose the idea for supporting the current generation of Sony and Microsoft but that doesn't translate in the sales numbers at all.

Either this is another case of gamers not voting with their wallets...or most people are simply fine with the current state of things in the console world. Personally, I'd only consider supporting WiiU if I should ever support any of them.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
RicoADF said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Oh, and the games probably ARE helping, at the very least...
I'd hope so. Otherwise, it would mean people were willing to pay the same price for a console that cost less and had less power under the hood.
You accuse sony of being full of shit and anyone disagreeing is a Sony fanboy then later admit that your a Microsoft fanboy, sorry bud but your arguments are mute. Sony did not pull any of the shit Microsoft did, what MS did was give us gamers the middle finger and told us to eat their shit. It's about time they listened, the sound of closing wallets is very powerful.
Are you well? Did you read the same thing I wrote? Please, kindly, tell me where I EVER accused Sony of being full of shit. Please tell me where I EVER said anyone disagreeing with me is a Sony Fanboy. So you just basically pulled that out of the ether, eh? My personal preferences in regard to the topic was the only thing I discussed. You are wrong again, Sony HAS pulled shit just like Microsoft has, and are NOT innocent, either...

So, lets see... that pretty much destroys your paragraph, I believe... I am still scratching my head over exactly WHAT you read, and I can only conclude you mixed up your response to someone elses comment with mine.

Oh, one other thing... IF the rest of your paragraph were CORRECT, which it isnt, the proper way to say it would be your arguments are MOOT.... Not mute. Mute is a button you hit on your remote to make your TV go quiet, just for future reference. ;)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I just hope Microsoft has learned from this crap. I suspect that we'll see them do this all again if their responses to our outrage are to be believed. That they believe this is inevitable, consumers be damned.

In any event, I'm still not going to trust the future of my gaming library to this company now that this has happened.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Riff Moonraker said:
Are you well? Did you read the same thing I wrote? Please, kindly, tell me where I EVER accused Sony of being full of shit. Please tell me where I EVER said anyone disagreeing with me is a Sony Fanboy. So you just basically pulled that out of the ether, eh? My personal preferences in regard to the topic was the only thing I discussed. You are wrong again, Sony HAS pulled shit just like Microsoft has, and are NOT innocent, either...

So, lets see... that pretty much destroys your paragraph, I believe... I am still scratching my head over exactly WHAT you read, and I can only conclude you mixed up your response to someone elses comment with mine.

Oh, one other thing... IF the rest of your paragraph were CORRECT, which it isnt, the proper way to say it would be your arguments are MOOT.... Not mute. Mute is a button you hit on your remote to make your TV go quiet, just for future reference. ;)
My apologies I quoted the wrong person, I was referring to this post by Smithy:

smithy_2045 said:
$ony are equally full of shit as Microsoft, and any suggestion that they aren't is pure fanboyism.
That said to reply to your above message Sony didn't pull the same shit as Microsoft this generation, their selling a system aimed at games at a good price, what more can you ask for in a console :-/
They also didn't pull the always online bullcrap or insult their customers which caused me to cancel my XBO pre-order and forced me to close my wallet. I had both systems pre-ordered, but only got the PS4 due to Microsoft's utter failure, now the Wii U is a higher priority system and that says a lot....