Xbox One to Get Kinect-Free Version for $399 in June

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Xbox One to Get Kinect-Free Version for $399 in June

Starting June 9th, a new Xbox One will be available without Kinect for those that want it.

Microsoft has announced that they will be offering a new Kinect-free Xbox One beginning on June 9th for the slimmed down price of $399.99.

In a post [http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices] on the official Xbox site, Microsoft's Phil Spencer revealed the details, saying that games like Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Watch Dogs and Destiny will continue to be available without any type of motion control requirement. Apps such as Twitch, YouTube and Netflix will be similarly unaffected.

In addition, Spencer revealed some changes and updates for Xbox Live Gold, including some free games for Xbox 360 users to celebrate one year of Games with Gold. The free games for June will be Dark Souls, Charlie Murder and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.

So Xbox One users won't feel left out, Games with Gold and Deals with Gold will also become available in June. The first titles to get the 50%-75% discount treatment will be Forza Motorsport 5, and Ryse: Son of Rome, as well as a few others that Spencer would not divulge.

Finally, many entertainment apps that had been only available with an Xbox Gold membership will be taken out from under the pay umbrella, requiring only an Xbox Live account. Xbox 360 and Xbox One users will now get free access to "Machinima, Twitch and Upload, popular video services like Netflix, Univision Deportes, GoPro, Red Bull TV and HBO GO, sports experiences like the NFL app for Xbox One, MLB.TV, NBA Game Time, NHL Game Center and more. Internet Explorer, Skype, OneDrive and OneGuide will also be available to all Xbox customers."

Spencer stressed that the Kinect is still part of the Xbox One vision. "We will continue to offer a premium Xbox One with Kinect bundle to deliver voice and gesture controls, biometric sign-in, instant personalization, instant scanning of QR codes, and enhanced features only available with Kinect in games such as Kinect Sports Rivals. Just Dance 2014, Project Spark and more."

Users who purchase the Xbox One sans Kinect will be able to change their mind and add a standalone sensor, but not until, Microsoft makes it available sometime in the fall.

Source: Official Xbox [http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices]

Dec 14, 2009
'The Kinect is integral to the use of the console'

*6 months later*

"Here's a Kinect-less version, please give us your money, we really need it."

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
They said it couldn't be done. That it wouldn't be done. Now. Now it is being done. Who would have thought it?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I guess they finally managed to shift enough pieces of Kinect...or just realized how terribad it is.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TOOK YA LONG ENOUGH! Microsoft is really putting up a pathetic display this generation. "No! This part of the console is integral! If you don't like it you can go buy a PS4! WAIT I DIDN'T MEAN ACTUALLY GO BUY A PS4! Wait, here, I took it off, please buy my product!"

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Whats the deal MS? You told everyone in no uncertain terms that the Xbone will NOT work without Kinect. Yet it does? So another case of outright lying is now proven and it is still going to be technologically inferior to the PS4 for the same price.

I don't get it, can someone with business knowledge please explain this series of blunders and how they possibly thought it would work?

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
I don't think this will affect sales as much as people think.

Even without Kinect, the XB1 is still significantly weaker than the PS4, and thus won't run multiplat games as well.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
In Australia the Xbox One is going to be CHEAPER than the PS4.

Glad to see proper competition.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm sure this'll now mean that everyone on the internet that said "I'll get it when they get rid of the Kinect, stop requiring Gold for apps and all that" will now turn round and buy it, especially at the new price.

Right guys?

Or will they turn round and go "Too little, too late"? Because why be consistent.

Anyway, looks like Spencer is having a big impact, which is good to see.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Huh so how many early adopters of the xbox one are now annoyed/frustrated/enraged at this? I mean this isn't even a year after launch this is like months after launch and they are dropping the kinect.

In other news Microsoft still king of retarded business moves.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
This article is a lie.

Microsoft CLEARLY stated early on that the Xbox One couldn't function without the Kinect; that it was integral to the system being what it is.

Obviously, this is just Sony paying the Escapist's bills.

Xbox couldn't be that desperate...

...Right?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
And just like that, the console race is back on.

Here comes a price cut from Sony...

Andy Shandy said:
Or will they turn round and go "Too little, too late"? Because why be consistent.
I was never going to buy it to begin with, but it's good to see Microsoft actually competing, instead of pretending it dominates the market.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Still don't think this will make people buy this VCR player. I am gonna laugh when people start to complain that they bought the launch one with Kinect and now they could have saved 100 bucks. Perfect example of reason to not buy console at launch!

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Between this and Microsoft lifting the stupid paywall for stuff like Netflix and Hulu, people might actually consider buying the One.

Not me though, still butthurt about the way they handled their reveal, their messaging and advertising of the system, the way the system was initially intended to run with it's anti-consumer ownership/pro-advertiser licensing feel, and their attitude towards their consumer base leading up to and during E3 last year.

But at least they're willing to compromise their vision to get more sales up on the thing. You know, actually compete with their rival console in sales and whatnot.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Man I almost can't wait to see Microsoft do something appealing and decently good and still see it being called "weak" and "desperate".

It's like I can't wait for that 1% of news that hopefully won't be spun on it's side for the ultra cynics that have no stake with MS to begin with.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
So now the inferior product is now cheaper than its competitor? Took you long enough to remember one of the 360's positive aspects MS.

Now to see whether this is has a major impact or if the Kinect and Day One policy's stench will linger on.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
John Keefer said:
Spencer stressed that the Kinect is still part of the Xbox One vision.
Yeah, no, the moment they start selling a Kinect-less model, the Kinect will have become 'just another peripheral'.

Kind of sad to see that they are making this move, I would have liked to see them stick to their guns and convince people that the kinect does provide some added value to the Xbox experience.

Didn't think that they would buckle this easily, bunch of pansies.