Xbox One Updates with Backwards Compatibility November 12

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Xbox One Updates with Backwards Compatibility November 12

"New Xbox One Experience" also overhauls dashboard interface.

Microsoft has announced the launch date of the next major update to the Xbox One console. Dubbed the "New Xbox Experience," the update which integrates Windows 10 on the platform and brings backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 titles will arrive on November 12.

The titles available for backwards compatibility are rather limited, with the published list [http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games] only containing 23 games so far, though Microsoft has claimed they are working to add hundreds more as time goes on. Xbox One features such as game recording and streaming will work with these legacy titles, and multiplayer enabled games will be playable with others regardless of which Xbox console (One or 360) they're being played on.

Beyond playing old games, the console will be updated with the new user interface first shown at E3 earlier this year, promised to make using the console faster and easier. The dashboard will be expanded with "Game Hubs" (dedicated landing pages providing developer update information and shared user content), a new community area, and the return of customizable avatars. Social features have also been made more accessible by way of an in-game overlay, removing the need to dig through menus to interact with friends.

Not included in the update is previously announced support for Microsoft's Cortana personal assistant software, which has been pushed back [http://majornelson.com/2015/10/02/adding-more-to-the-nxoe-preview-and-the-xbox-beta-app-for-windows-10-has-been-updated/] to next year.

Sources: Major Nelson [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/experience]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well my dad is thinking about getting an xbox one because his 360 is getting worn out. I should forward this to him.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm in the preview program and I am wondering just when all these other titles are going to hit backward compatibility.

As the article mentions, there are little more than 20 on the list at the moment, are Microsoft just going to dump more on a launch without any beta testing in the wild?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I honestly would have expected to see a lot more 1st party games on that list, really. I mean, where is Halo Wars and Halo Reach, guys?

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Game hubs...
community areas...
social features...
on-screen overlays...
Why not just call it "Steam with avatars"?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I've seen how updates "improved" the 360 interface. Now my Xbox runs half as fast and there are ads on most screens. Even though I don't have an Xbone, I twitch a little every time I hear MS talk about improving UI.

votemarvel said:
I'm in the preview program and I am wondering just when all these other titles are going to hit backward compatibility.

As the article mentions, there are little more than 20 on the list at the moment, are Microsoft just going to dump more on a launch without any beta testing in the wild?
Maybe this is the whole list for the foreseeable future. Wouldn't be without precedent.

laserwulf said:
Game hubs...
community areas...
social features...
on-screen overlays...
Why not just call it "Steam with avatars"?
Probably to not get sued.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
It's not backwards compatibility, they're ports. Is this intentional dishonesty or just laziness. All i know is it makes Microsoft look better than they are being.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
votemarvel said:

Sadly, it's up to each publisher to submit games to Microsoft to be included for backwards compatibility. Any "smart" publisher would rather sell "remastered" versions of their 360 classics for a nice sum rather than let people download a title they already bought for free.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
23 almost entirely crappy games... the only good ones of which have already gotten HD releases on new gen consoles?

*sigh*

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Zacharious-khan said:
It's not backwards compatibility, they're ports. Is this intentional dishonesty or just laziness. All i know is it makes Microsoft look better than they are being.
What in the world could possibly have led you to the conclusion that they're ports? They're not.

The way the backwards compatibility works is that Xbox One is literally running an emulator of the 360. It's basically a console within a console running the original Xbox 360 game. If you own either a digital or a physical copy of a compatible X360 game, you can play it on the Xbone.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
NLS said:
votemarvel said:

Sadly, it's up to each publisher to submit games to Microsoft to be included for backwards compatibility. Any "smart" publisher would rather sell "remastered" versions of their 360 classics for a nice sum rather than let people download a title they already bought for free.
Not necessarily. You'll be able to buy Xbox 360 games digitally through the Xbone, so theoretically, some titles wouldn't need remaster. Microsoft seems to be the ones making sure games work with BC, so it's probably way cheaper for the developer to greenlight their game going BC. Making a remaster would cost a lot of money and probably only see a marginal return, whereas making it backwards compatible would probably see similar sales with less development cost.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I like the idea of this oh so much. If this works--and I mean really works--it will be a great drive for me to finally cough up for a Xbox One.

But looking at that list right now, I have two of those games--one of which has already been remastered for the Xbox One. So, uh...you might want to start expanding that list by a lot, Microsoft. A good start, but don't trip before you even reach the first turn in the track.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
darthzew said:
NLS said:
votemarvel said:

Not necessarily. You'll be able to buy Xbox 360 games digitally through the Xbone, so theoretically, some titles wouldn't need remaster. Microsoft seems to be the ones making sure games work with BC, so it's probably way cheaper for the developer to greenlight their game going BC. Making a remaster would cost a lot of money and probably only see a marginal return, whereas making it backwards compatible would probably see similar sales with less development cost.
the important thing is not if you'll be able to download them. The important thing is if you'll be able to use the ones from the discs.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
The only game on that list that even interests me is Mass Effect. Everything else I either care little for or already own the remastered version of. I hope Too Human pops up in a few years.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
It's odd that Mass Effect is there but not Mass Effect 2 or 3.

Either way I'm happy as it means more games will likely follow. I much prefer the One controller to the 360 so any game I'm interested in being ported is fine by me.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
CaitSeith said:
darthzew said:
NLS said:
votemarvel said:

the important thing is not if you'll be able to download them. The important thing is if you'll be able to use the ones from the discs.
Straight from the horse's mouth, you totally can.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
As someone in the preview program, the backwards compatibility works great. I was able to play Mass Effect from start to finish without much trouble (though trying to import my save into ME2 on 360 didn't work).
The new dashboard however. Oh God. It works fine, but it takes a bit to get used to and you can't change which controller is signed is as who witout first signing out. Parties seem to drop out at random too, but that could be my or someone else's connection.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Gonna wait until they put more 360 games on the list, cuz I did miss out in a lot of games due to the ring of death.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
darthzew said:
What in the world could possibly have led you to the conclusion that they're ports? They're not.

The way the backwards compatibility works is that Xbox One is literally running an emulator of the 360. It's basically a console within a console running the original Xbox 360 game. If you own either a digital or a physical copy of a compatible X360 game, you can play it on the Xbone.
Would you say then that the Wii and WiiU are backwards compatible with the NES, SNES, N64?